Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I already told you: ask universities how much is required and then increase taxes to meet the amount needed.

That's not an acceptable answer. Detail how you would specifically fund £14bn. Nobody will accept 4p on the basic rate of income tax and your plan to add 8p to the higher rate will leave you billions short. Or are you part of the Labour manifesto writing team where budgeting for spending doesn't matter ?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
No. As I said, quite clearly, I voted for the person not the party. I'm scarcely alone - her majority has gone up twice since she was first elected. She now has a majority of nearly 15,000, recognition of the good job she's doing.

Introducing variation and ambiguity to someone who is only capable of leading a binary life is never going to end well.

I suspect you lost him from the sentence in your first post that had the words thought and vote in it :wink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's very odd. Look how many times he and Westdene Seagull mention me and other users they dislike. They drop our names into totally unrelated posts even if we haven't posted for days. It's people that challenge them. They do not like that! I think they're a bit fragile and scared of the damage Brexit is doing so one can't get too fussed by them but they are a pair of wrong un's.

Cue "You used to use another account" "liar" "when are you leaving the UK". A year on and they're still obsessing.

Oh Nibble - it's fun highlighting what a liar you are. Plenty of people challenge me - look at Watford Zero, Man of Sussex etc. The difference being they put forward sensible constructive arguments. You and your little puppy Plooks don't - neither of you even answer questions properly. One thing you have both achieved though is to unite leavers and remainers. Everyone agreed you were a liar and everyone agreed Plooks plans for free Unis were daft.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
More Project Fear today from the heartlands of Remain, obviously.

"The destructive Brexit plan being pursued by the government threatens to have a hugely damaging effect on clubs across the country," says Burnley chairman Mike Garlick, adding that it threatens to make the inequality gap in our top division even worse Stoke chairman Peter Coates added that the Premier League could be threatened by freedom of movement restrictions.

M'mmm... perhaps we can ad football, and specifically clubs like the Albion, to the long list of people and organisations in the Brexit firing line.

(PS I must be even-handed. In the same report, minister Tracey Crouch counters that the government white paper outlining its position on Brexit sets out its ambition to negotiate a framework for mobility that will, among other things, enable people to travel in Europe. Phew.)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

"The destructive Brexit plan being pursued by the government threatens to have a hugely damaging effect on clubs across the country," says Burnley chairman Mike Garlick, adding that it threatens to make the inequality gap in our top division even worse Stoke chairman Peter Coates added that the Premier League could be threatened by freedom of movement restrictions.

M'mmm... perhaps we can ad football, and specifically clubs like the Albion, to the long list of people and organisations in the Brexit firing line.

(PS I must be even-handed. In the same report, minister Tracey Crouch counters that the government white paper outlining its position on Brexit sets out its ambition to negotiate a framework for mobility that will, among other things, enable people to travel in Europe. Phew.)

Interesting. I speak from a position of ignorance on this (at least I admit it, almost unique on this thread!) and I wonder how this will play out to end in this outcome. I can see how it might work 'across the board' i.e. disadvantaging all UK clubs relative to their EU located rivals which can still enjoy this labour market framework. But I'm not quite sure how it will add to inequalities within the English game. As a Remainer and supporter of English football, could it even be that clubs will be 'forced' to look at home-grown talent - i.e. a possible silver-lining?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It would be a little funny though if Burnley made it to the quarter finals in early April, and they had to give a bye as we had no visa arrangements to enable the players to travel, or if they get to the final and Azerbaijan won't allow people from Burnley in, as they might be Brexit assylum seekers, or economic migrants at high risk of not returning home.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Interesting. I speak from a position of ignorance on this (at least I admit it, almost unique on this thread!) and I wonder how this will play out to end in this outcome. I can see how it might work 'across the board' i.e. disadvantaging all UK clubs relative to their EU located rivals which can still enjoy this labour market framework. But I'm not quite sure how it will add to inequalities within the English game. As a Remainer and supporter of English football, could it even be that clubs will be 'forced' to look at home-grown talent - i.e. a possible silver-lining?

The problem would be that Premier clubs could still shop in Europe for full internationals as they would get permits, but Championship clubs would not be able to buy players like Knockaert or Bruno, or Ulloa, as they would not get permits. This might well unearth some good English talent, but they will mostly be snapped up by Premier league clubs at the bottom end, and leave the championship a much lower level competition overall, making the step up nigh on impossible without wholesale change of the squad.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It would be a little funny though if Burnley made it to the quarter finals in early April, and they had to give a bye as we had no visa arrangements to enable the players to travel, or if they get to the final and Azerbaijan won't allow people from Burnley in, as they might be Brexit assylum seekers, or economic migrants at high risk of not returning home.

Not to worry, someone on here (no i cant remember who) said that there are numerous civil servants on both sides hammering out the minutia of specific areas like this on a daily basis behind the scenes. We the people get to see what has been negotiated for weeks maybe months when the politicians have a weekly summit and it comes into the public eye.

I'm sure the government are completely on top of this :)

*edit*

In fairness here, i have read from a number of articles,(no i cant remember which ones) that there are numerous civil servants on both sides hammering out the minutia of specific areas and articles on a daily basis behind the scenes. We the people get to see what has been negotiated for weeks maybe months when the politicians have a weekly summit and it comes into the public eye.

There we are, I knew I'd read it somewhere, so everything will be OK :angel:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
In fact, with only just over 7 months to go to implement the agreed solution, we must just be dotting the I's and crossing the T's on our plan (behind the scenes, and out of sight of the public and EU, of course).

I'm sure all will be revealed in the next few weeks. After all, no-one would be stupid enough to leave it this late with no sign of an agreement or plan, would they ???

Jan 30, 2008

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The problem would be that Premier clubs could still shop in Europe for full internationals as they would get permits, but Championship clubs would not be able to buy players like Knockaert or Bruno, or Ulloa, as they would not get permits. This might well unearth some good English talent, but they will mostly be snapped up by Premier league clubs at the bottom end, and leave the championship a much lower level competition overall, making the step up nigh on impossible without wholesale change of the squad.

There was a report in The Times the other day that The FA and Premier League are 'poles apart' on this. The Premier League want the 'Governing Body Endorsement' from The FA for work permit applications amended to include any foreign player offered a contract within a 25 man squad post Brexit to maintain competitiveness on signings with other leagues in Europe. The FA do not.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There was a report in The Times the other day that The FA and Premier League are 'poles apart' on this. The Premier League want the 'Governing Body Endorsement' from The FA for work permit applications amended to include any foreign player offered a contract within a 25 man squad post Brexit to maintain competitiveness on signings with other leagues in Europe. The FA do not.

It will be tricky to get this right, like everything else Brexit touches.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0228.GIF

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here