Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
YES BY LEAVING THE EU, people like you just want this country sold down the swanny :angry:
regards
DR

And I would argue that leave campaigners are selling the country down the river by devaluing our economy. As a proud Englishman and British citizen I want to see this country thrive. I believe that is best served by protecting our national interests and all the advantages that brings.

Jan 30, 2008
I'm arguing for REMAIN, so if I'm using language that affects judgment negatively then personally, I apologise.

If I do so, it's because I don't see the implications of an OUT vote as simple black and white stuff. For me, the EU provides us with access to a market that greatly stimulates our economy. We've created an incredibly flexible market in the UK which is growing because we are so good at what we do and because we are in Europe. Alone, we are a lot weaker. We are not the 5th largest economy if you take away the EU because the economy would not have the advantage of being a part of the EU.

It is all complex.

I find too many leave campaigners are throwing statistics around without looking at the dynamics of what will happen.

what will happen ??? ALL I HEAR IS SPECULATION AND SPIN FROM THE INNERS
regards
DR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Also from the other thread

From the other thread:
What has the EU ever done for us?

57% of our trade; - no trade without the EU then
structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline; - thanks for giving back some of our money
clean beaches and rivers; - we didn't realise this would be a good thing without the EU
cleaner air; - good point we would have all suffocated without the EU
lead free petrol; - the EU invented lead free petrol?
restrictions on landfill dumping; - saved the day and the planet.
a recycling culture; - recycling delusional EU propaganda yes
cheaper mobile charges; - prices never drop outside the Eu then.
cheaper air travel; - Budget airlines exist outside of Europe
improved consumer protection and food labelling; - Unachievable without ceding sovereignty obviously
a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives; - would never have thought of doing that, saved by the EU
better product safety; - Better than British standards?
single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance; - oh yes Europe's economy is booming!
break up of monopolies; - which monopolies?
Europe-wide patent and copyright protection; - Well worth the £8 - 11 Billion pound net cost.
no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market; - No EU related bureaucracy adding cost to business .. really.
price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone; - Don't mention the Eurozone stupid ..own goal.
freedom to travel, live and work across Europe; - Yes that's going swimmingly.More immigrants please
funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad; - It's our f**king money.
access to European health services; - Yes we noticed them hence the waiting times.
labour protection and enhanced social welfare; - Enhanced to a minimum standard that we already exceed.
smoke-free workplaces; - Thanks EU we didn't realise smoking was dangerous.
equal pay legislation; - What you mean equal pay is a good thing?
holiday entitlement; - No holidays outside the EU?
the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime; - Unless you're an EU immigrant in the UK
strongest wildlife protection in the world; - The One legged Newt salutes you.
improved animal welfare in food production; - Two pats on the back plus an EU badge before being slaughtered?
EU-funded research and industrial collaboration; - It's not EU money it's ours.
EU representation in international forums; - Uk United Nations Security Council seat so FU.
bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO; - Yes our voice diminished to just one of 28.
EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty; - LOL
European arrest warrant; - Hands up who wants to be extradited tomorrow with no say to Romania and rely on their legal system?
cross border policing to combat human trafficking,- In a borderless Schengen zone yeah right.
arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence; - Really? ... Paris, Brussels, shame on you.
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa; - Bog off NATO does it better.
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond; - Unless it conflicts with the EU project.See Greece
investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital. - For the last time it's our FU**ING money!

Keep the peace for 60 years. - See NATO
Help usher post-soviet states into democracy and freedom - and serve as a model for others. - Great intervention in the Ukraine

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...u-ever-done-us

What have the Outters ever done for us? - Fought for their country?
Whine;
Moan;
Throw tantrums;
Take EU taxpayer money and not show up for work.

Recycling culture alive and well thanks to the EU.

Jan 30, 2008
And I would argue that leave campaigners are selling the country down the river by devaluing our economy. As a proud Englishman and British citizen I want to see this country thrive. I believe that is best served by protecting our national interests and all the advantages that brings.

are national interests are being eroded :nono:
regards
DR

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't remember David Cameron - or any Tories - calling for us to join the Euro, but they're at the head of the Remain camp now. They're hardly the minority.

There were quite a few, led by Lord Heseltine but there were some other pretty big hitters: Leon Brittan, Ken Clarke, Edwina Currie, Ted Heath and Geoffrey Howe.

With regards the EU referendum, there are plenty of politicians on both sides of the argument who are very well placed to argue their standpoint and so you can't have a single definitive expert politician view.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
There were quite a few, led by Lord Heseltine but there were some other pretty big hitters: Leon Brittan, Ken Clarke, Edwina Currie, Ted Heath and Geoffrey Howe.

Fair enough - I apologise about my own generalisation about the Tories then.

With regards the EU referendum, there are plenty of politicians on both sides of the argument who are very well placed to argue their standpoint and so you can't have a single definitive expert politician view.

Agreed. I got far more into this debate that I intended - I only wanted to distinguish between the EU referendum & Euro currency debates!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
From the other thread:

What has the EU ever done for us?
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;....

After our discussions on the other thread, I think we now both know these two bullet points aren't true.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair enough - I apologise about my own generalisation about the Tories then.

Agreed. I got far more into this debate that I intended - I only wanted to distinguish between the EU referendum & Euro currency debates!

No need to apologise! It was nearly 20 years ago!

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I'm arguing for REMAIN, so if I'm using language that affects judgment negatively then personally, I apologise.

If I do so, it's because I don't see the implications of an OUT vote as simple black and white stuff. For me, the EU provides us with access to a market that greatly stimulates our economy. We've created an incredibly flexible market in the UK which is growing because we are so good at what we do and because we are in Europe. Alone, we are a lot weaker. We are not the 5th largest economy if you take away the EU because the economy would not have the advantage of being a part of the EU.

It is all complex.

I find too many leave campaigners are throwing statistics around without looking at the dynamics of what will happen.

Thanks for the reasoned response. (all too rare in these debates).

The dynamics of leaving can be reviewed with reference to the many countries who are not currently in the EU.

The dynamics of remaining tied to an organisation accelerating towards a political union of disparate countries is unknown. the only real historic example is possibly the USSR.

D

Deleted member 22389

The EU has already sold us down the river, that's why we have no control over our borders, that's why we pay the EU millions a day and they keep coming for more.

D

Deleted member 22389

With all the uncertainty that the Remain camp is whipping up at the moment, blaming everything on Brexit, the money men never lose.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
With all the uncertainty that the Remain camp is whipping up at the moment, blaming everything on Brexit, the money men never lose.

I agree. The money men never lose. In or out, they will look after themselves. I'm more interested in the impact this will have on the wider public. Leave the rich to themselves, they'll do alright. Let's not make things harder on ourselves though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here