Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sometimes I read posts by you and other Brxiteers aghast. I am and have always been in favour of rigid controls over our borders. Sadly successive governments including conservative governments, including the present government, have done nothing to ensure our borders are controlled. The main problem is not people coming legally here with an EU passport. Germans do not come here to set up illegal drugs and slavery gangs. One argument in favour of Brexit is that we can stop people coming from the EU. OK, fine if that's what floats your boat. But what about people from the mid east coming via the EU with no documents? And what about people from the mid east coming here directly? Not an issue? Rally? This is a very hight proportion of immigration. It is at least tens of thousands a year. And the FACT is we have ALWAYS had power to deal with the entry of these people any damned way we like. The fact we haven't is an indictment of successive governments. In the case of the tories, it is shameful; after all they have a long history of having 'controlling immigration' as a central plank of their platform. I believe that in fact there are enough tories who like cheap labour (on their farms etc.) to be sufficient to sabotage any attempts to control immigration. In fact, the repeated failure of the tories to do anything meaningful is probably the single biggest reason for the existence of UKIP and the other mono-topic wankers. After all, take immigration out of the mix, what reason that your average Joe on the street would understand is left to motivate a need for Brexit? The whole thing is a comedy of errors if you ask me. I'm not laughing though.

Sadly all have failed to staff it properly. Constantly cutting numbers.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Falling into Corbyns and Momentums trap. They have cleverly used Brexit as a tool to bankrupt us all and nationalise everything. Low paid jobs and hyper inflation for everybody with free days off to boot. Well frequent strikes anyway

I think you’ll find the neo liberals are the ones who are keen on”low paid jobs” and as for nationalisation, it looks tempting as Carillion collapses around us. Oh and what cunning Brexit plan would that be? Your post is a bit all over the place.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sometimes I read posts by you and other Brxiteers aghast. I am and have always been in favour of rigid controls over our borders. Sadly successive governments including conservative governments, including the present government, have done nothing to ensure our borders are controlled. The main problem is not people coming legally here with an EU passport. Germans do not come here to set up illegal drugs and slavery gangs. One argument in favour of Brexit is that we can stop people coming from the EU. OK, fine if that's what floats your boat. But what about people from the mid east coming via the EU with no documents? And what about people from the mid east coming here directly? Not an issue? Rally? This is a very hight proportion of immigration. It is at least tens of thousands a year. And the FACT is we have ALWAYS had power to deal with the entry of these people any damned way we like. The fact we haven't is an indictment of successive governments. In the case of the tories, it is shameful; after all they have a long history of having 'controlling immigration' as a central plank of their platform. I believe that in fact there are enough tories who like cheap labour (on their farms etc.) to be sufficient to sabotage any attempts to control immigration. In fact, the repeated failure of the tories to do anything meaningful is probably the single biggest reason for the existence of UKIP and the other mono-topic wankers. After all, take immigration out of the mix, what reason that your average Joe on the street would understand is left to motivate a need for Brexit? The whole thing is a comedy of errors if you ask me. I'm not laughing though.

The Tories and Labour have failed for years on immigration. Polls between 70% and 80% wanting immigration numbers controlled are not unheard of. Im glad you want rigid controls as well. Hopefully and finally by leaving the EU and ending free movement we can have an inclusive non discriminatory immigration policy applied equally to everyone where our needs match those permitted entry and reflect our capability to provide the infrastructure to an increasing population, i dont consider this idea extreme or backward, others consider it xenophobic.I rather think they are the ones who are being unrealistic.
Those coming here of course illegally is a separate issue. No one wants them,they do not contribute. We should all be united in stamping out illegal immigration.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Whatever reasons you may have had for voting Brexit does not preclude xenophobia and intolerance as a motivation in others, Farages poster exploited xenophobia ramped up by sections of the press.
Claims that we would be better off economically and that we would succeed by making ourselves more competetive than the EU, that the Euro crisis would drag us into bailouts, and we would be £350 million a week better off by not making contributions to the EU, appealed to the selfish.
You can claim that your own motivations were more virtuous, but you are deluded if you think the other motivations did not get the Leave votes nose in front.

im sure paedophiles voted for remain as they like the ease of their product being shipped around Europe, but i wouldnt generalise this as all remain voters. You however are generalising xenophobia amongst the Leave voter as a main reason leave won, poor form, but at least you have revealed your true colours

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Tories and Labour have failed for years on immigration. Polls between 70% and 80% wanting immigration numbers controlled are not unheard of. Im glad you want rigid controls as well. Hopefully and finally by leaving the EU and ending free movement we can have an inclusive non discriminatory immigration policy applied equally to everyone where our needs match those permitted entry and reflect our capability to provide the infrastructure to an increasing population, i dont consider this idea extreme or backward, others consider it xenophobic.I rather think they are the ones who are being unrealistic.
Those coming here of course illegally is a separate issue. No one wants them,they do not contribute. We should all be united in stamping out illegal immigration.

I think many Leave voters very much want a discriminatory immigration policy. I find most of the leave voters at my local concerned with immigration are fine with Poles, but don't want any muslims.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
im sure paedophiles voted for remain as they like the ease of their product being shipped around Europe, but i wouldnt generalise this as all remain voters. You however are generalising xenophobia amongst the Leave voter as a main reason leave won, poor form, but at least you have revealed your true colours

I don't recall Nick Clegg stood in front of a poster for Remain with lines of small children and the words "we can't get enough" though.

As for revealing my true colours, I have said all along your victory depended upon xenophobia, racism, misplaced Islamophobia, and deliberate conflation of refugees and migrant workers.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think many Leave voters very much want a discriminatory immigration policy. I find most of the leave voters at my local concerned with immigration are fine with Poles, but don't want any muslims.

Crumbs, you are generalising leave voters on your interpretation of discussions down your local pub?.....righto.
Given you have ridiculously brought xenophobia into the argument anyway i can only surmise you are triggered and tainted, and will lie to prove a point.
Cant believe anything you say as a personal experience. But well done for sticking to your generalising guns that many leave voters want to discriminate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Falling into Corbyns and Momentums trap. They have cleverly used Brexit as a tool to bankrupt us all and nationalise everything. Low paid jobs and hyper inflation for everybody with free days off to boot. Well frequent strikes anyway

Low paid jobs? Having seen the subcontracting of subcontracting of subcontracting for cleaners who are ultimately working for Carillion it is easy to see where wage compression comes from. It’s not immigrants it’s the layers of companies which all want a piece of the money being paid by the client. It’s big business causing this. Disgraceful.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I don't recall Nick Clegg stood in front of a poster for Remain with lines of small children and the words "we can't get enough" though.

As for revealing my true colours, I have said all along your victory depended upon xenophobia, racism, misplaced Islamophobia, and deliberate conflation of refugees and migrant workers.

What a prize plumb you are. So embittered by losing you then tar everybody with the same brush to make yourself feel better. It doesn't make you look good. Get over it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Low paid jobs? Having seen the subcontracting of subcontracting of subcontracting for cleaners who are ultimately working for Carillion it is easy to see where wage compression comes from. It’s not immigrants it’s the layers of companies which all want a piece of the money being paid by the client. It’s big business causing this. Disgraceful.

Who's to blame for this. Successive governments. Started with Thatcher, Blair done nothnig to stop it and so it goes on. Not a Brexit issue diddums

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

I think you’ll find the neo liberals are the ones who are keen on”low paid jobs” and as for nationalisation, it looks tempting as Carillion collapses around us. Oh and what cunning Brexit plan would that be? Your post is a bit all over the place.

The sarcasm was lost as the picture of the car 5ways posted didn't come up on the post

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am a Patriot, I believe in British values such as fair play, openness and tolerance for those of differing beliefs. I am particularly proud of our ability to adopt foreign culture into British culture and make it our own.
It is what hurts the most about Brexit, it revealed a selfish, intolerant and xenophobic streak in us.

Fair play as in supporting the democratic will of the majority being enacted after the largest democratic vote in our country's history? Haven't noticed much openness and tolerance of differing beliefs re Leave voters.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Really can't believe somebody using British Leyland to try and put a Brexit point over.Are they trying to destroy the Labour Party?The most strike-ridden company in British industrial history,with Labour MP's on every picket line with the late 'Red Robbo' ?:lolol::lolol:

Jan 30, 2008

NO !, people were shouted down for those concern's as being racist but the fact's were no one seemed to being doing jack shit to stop it happening , the moment it was brought to light mainstream some people felt less intimidated in airing their views much to the surprise of a lot of do gooders, if you thought that people were prepared to let that happen long term you're a bigger fool than I thought
regards
DR

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree much of that. But I do find it odd that controlling immigration from outside the EU has never happened. It seems bonkers to me to make a referendum issue out of something that could easily be fixed by other means and will still need to be fixed by the exact same other means (nobody knows what) after we Brexit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who's to blame for this. Successive governments. Started with Thatcher, Blair done nothnig to stop it and so it goes on. Not a Brexit issue diddums

It is a Brexit issue when folk blame freedom of movement for low wages.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really can't believe somebody using British Leyland to try and put a Brexit point over.Are they trying to destroy the Labour Party?The most strike-ridden company in British industrial history,with Labour MP's on every picket line with the late 'Red Robbo' ?:lolol::lolol:

Red Robbo? Your imaginary drinking buddy?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree much of that. But I do find it odd that controlling immigration from outside the EU has never happened. It seems bonkers to me to make a referendum issue out of something that could easily be fixed by other means and will still need to be fixed by the exact same other means (nobody knows what) after we Brexit.

The non-EU immigration number at the time of the referendum was greater than EU immigration.

What's the biggest deception is we could easily have taken back control of our borders already under European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC. Other EU countries use it but not ours.

Maybe we should go for the Australian points system, working well with their immigration rate higher than ours without being an EU member

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here