Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And if it was to do with Brexit, they'd wait until a deal has or hasn't been agreed.

Depending on what's agreed, we may well see places close and jobs go, but let's not just blame everything on Brexit because it suits our agenda :rolleyes:

For business its not about standing still, its about growing and to grow you have to invest. A German manufacturer has a base in the UK and sells 85% of its good to Europe, Britain wants to leave the SM & CU, they clearly took a strategic decision to pull out in 2 years when we "might" depart.

Inward investment from overseas fell 92% in 2017 compared in 2016.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For business its not about standing still, its about growing and to grow you have to invest. A German manufacturer has a base in the UK and sells 85% of its good to Europe, Britain wants to leave the SM & CU, they clearly took a strategic decision to pull out in 2 years when we "might" depart.

Inward investment from overseas fell 92% in 2017 compared in 2016.

Weird when a report at the weekend had us in 2nd place in the world with record inward investment. That was some independent report from some business group

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Good grief ... no matter how many times you try to polish that turd of an argument it still boils down to not accepting/ignoring the first result. It takes a very special type of arrogance to fracture the longstanding UK democratic tradition of enacting the will of the people after the necessary democratic criteria have been met. Also a piss poor analogy btw ... that family were told many times how difficult a move could be (see remain campaign)... they were also told they would almost certainly all be unemployed and homeless by now (see project fear) ... knowing all this they made their democratic choice. Also if the picture is now supposedly 'clear' and most 'essential' facts known can you please tell them what our future trading relationship with the EU will be after any transition period?

Imagine if things were the other way round. That the UK had never joined the EU and the referendum was about whether it should. And that Join had narrowly won.

Imagine that the government set about fulfilling all the requirements of membership but after years of preparations it became clear that membership was a whole lot more complicated than the Joiners had claimed. The costs of belonging were rising. Economic hardship beckoned. Our huge trading partnerships around the world were under threat. Our personal freedoms were threatened. And evidence was building that, finally confronted with reality, the people were changing their minds.

Stay Out lobbyists started to suggest that perhaps the people should be asked if they were happy with the newly-apparent membership terms. It would be a fair question: membership looked very different to what had been mooted.

Now as a firm and committed Stay Out supporter are you telling me that you would be screaming that anyone suggesting giving voters the chance to consider all the options now apparent, including your preferred option of staying out, was an anti-democratic fruitcake, deserving of contempt and derision? Like fanny you would. You’d want one. And you’d have a good case.

But let’s be fair. Let’s ask the people on the other side of the argument, joiners like me, whether they would be demanding a further referendum, just as they are now. Well to be honest I don’t suppose they would. Speaking for myself in this hypothetical situation I would just keep my head down and hope that we’d got away with all that misleading guff first time round. It wouldn’t be my finest moment.

But what I wouldn’t be doing is piously screaming that those on the other side of the argument were satanic and hateful anti-democrats. That would just be hypocritical twaddle now wouldn’t it?

PS In answer to your question. No, I don’t yet know what our future trading relationship with the EU will be. At this stage no one does. But it will soon be a lot clearer than it was on June23.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Inward investment in the Biĺlions better than any EU country and the USA. Think maybe China were best

I'm sorry but that is complete bollocks. Can you find this report please so that we can see what it is you've misinterpreted. Thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Imagine if things were the other way round. That the UK had never joined the EU and the referendum was about whether it should. And that Join had narrowly won.

Imagine that the government set about fulfilling all the requirements of membership but after years of preparations it became clear that membership was a whole lot more complicated than the Joiners had claimed. The costs of belonging were rising. Economic hardship beckoned. Our huge trading partnerships around the world were under threat. Our personal freedoms were threatened. And evidence was building that, finally confronted with reality, the people were changing their minds.

Stay Out lobbyists started to suggest that perhaps the people should be asked if they were happy with the newly-apparent membership terms. It would be a fair question: membership looked very different to what had been mooted.

Now as a firm and committed Stay Out supporter are you telling me that you would be screaming that anyone suggesting giving voters the chance to consider all the options now apparent, including your preferred option of staying out, was an anti-democratic fruitcake, deserving of contempt and derision? Like fanny you would. You’d want one. And you’d have a good case.

But let’s be fair. Let’s ask the people on the other side of the argument, joiners like me, whether they would be demanding a further referendum, just as they are now. Well to be honest I don’t suppose they would. Speaking for myself in this hypothetical situation I would just keep my head down and hope that we’d got away with all that misleading guff first time round. It wouldn’t be my finest moment.

But what I wouldn’t be doing is piously screaming that those on the other side of the argument were satanic and hateful anti-democrats. That would just be hypocritical twaddle now wouldn’t it?

PS In answer to your question. No, I don’t yet know what our future trading relationship with the EU will be. At this stage no one does. But it will soon be a lot clearer than it was on June23.

But that happened,membership did become a lot more complicated,costs of membership did rise,the Euro economy has put millions in poverty the ability to form our own trading partnerships did come under threat, our freedoms to control our own EU borders was diminished, our parliamentary freedoms to make laws was hindered,people did change their minds and people were not happy with the new membership terms as they did look incredibly different to what was initially suggested.
We just had to wait 41 years for the second referendum............lets hope you are patient........third referendum expected 2057.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
But that happened,membership did become a lot more complicated,costs of membership did rise,the Euro economy has put millions in poverty the ability to form our own trading partnerships did come under threat, our freedoms to control our own EU borders was diminished, our parliamentary freedoms to make laws was hindered,people did change their minds and people were not happy with the new membership terms as they did look incredibly different to what was initially suggested.
We just had to wait 41 years for the second referendum............lets hope you are patient........third referendum expected 2057.

I regard the benefit swings as far outweighing the disadvantage roundabouts but that's by-the-by - my post was simply to illustrate of the hypocrisy of those who use the I'm-the-only-true-democrat argument against further public consultation.

If they simply said "Sod that, I don't want to see defeat snatched from the jaws of victory" I'd have a bit, a bit, more respect for them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I regard the benefit swings as far outweighing the disadvantage roundabouts but that's by-the-by - my post was simply to illustrate of the hypocrisy of those who use the I'm-the-only-true-democrat argument against further public consultation.

If they simply said "Sod that, I don't want to see defeat snatched from the jaws of victory" I'd have a bit, a bit, more respect for them.

You are getting a bit desperate claiming hypocrisy based on a historical hypothetical. One of these days you undemocratic loons will realise the very process and nature of leaving the EU does not lend itself to a second referendum and crucially especially when the original vote is a defining IN or OUT choice.
The process of joining the EU though is a completely different kettle of fish and its good to see remainers who hate referendums now backing a two referendum process, where in rejoining this would be entirely justified. One to submit an application to join and a second years and years later after requirements are met and terms and conditions of membership finalised.
Im sure you all wont mind being reminded decades from now when the Lib Dems are in power that a two referendum process for joining is your favoured option.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The undemocratic loons are the leavers! We already had a referendum, they lost. But they get another one? Sore losers if you ask me. Also, super hypocrytical of them to say we can not have a third referendum as a desicion was made.

Never used it myself, ive found a good dash of white vinegar in the wash will bring whites back to a sparkling white and no odd odour either.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
How do you know when someone's been removed from a thread and the reasons or specific post ?

I can't see anything in the moderating area

What's all this then?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You are getting a bit desperate claiming hypocrisy based on a historical hypothetical. One of these days you undemocratic loons will realise the very process and nature of leaving the EU does not lend itself to a second referendum and crucially especially when the original vote is a defining IN or OUT choice.
The process of joining the EU though is a completely different kettle of fish and its good to see remainers who hate referendums now backing a two referendum process, where in rejoining this would be entirely justified. One to submit an application to join and a second years and years later after requirements are met and terms and conditions of membership finalised.
Im sure you all wont mind being reminded decades from now when the Lib Dems are in power that a two referendum process for joining is your favoured option.

Did you forget who you were logged on as there ?

You also seem to have forgotten that this account is the one who doesn't want any of the Brexit solutions.

It should be easier now you have one less account to post as :lolol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Did you forget who you were logged on as there ?

You also seem to have forgotten that this account is the one who doesn't want any of the Brexit solutions.

It should be easier now you have one less account to post as :lolol:

Interesting and I would not be surprised if this was the case; both have the same form of toxic obnoxiousness and generally flawed arguments.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You mention me numerous times in your posts to others ... are you sure you aren't slightly obsessed/besotted?

It's a provable fact in the same way people who have repeatedly argued for a second referendum hoping to reverse the first result are undemocratic loons. Speaking of which...

Good grief ... no matter how many times you try to polish that turd of an argument it still boils down to not accepting/ignoring the first result. It takes a very special type of arrogance to fracture the longstanding UK democratic tradition of enacting the will of the people after the necessary democratic criteria have been met. Also a piss poor analogy btw ... that family were told many times how difficult a move could be (see remain campaign)... they were also told they would almost certainly all be unemployed and homeless by now (see project fear) ... knowing all this they made their democratic choice. Also if the picture is now supposedly 'clear' and most 'essential' facts known can you please tell them what our future trading relationship with the EU will be after any transition period?

This is uncanny. If you read the 2 posts above, that were replying to the same poster, in a pompous, uppity, accent/in the style of Owen Paterson MP being comprehensively owned by Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News - it's gotta be. W z may well have cracked it. :lolol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

You're repeating yourself a bit. I loathe referendums. Still do. It's about the only thing I have in common with both Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher. Referendums are an affront to the ancient traditions of British parliamentary democracy. But.

But the only way of heading off the damage this referendum will cause is through the process of a second one. Not a rerun. A separate event, drawing on the greater knowledge and understanding that might, just might, have been accumulated over the past two years.

That's why I argue for one.

How likely is it to happen? You know my view.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This is uncanny. If you read the 2 posts above, that were replying to the same poster, in a pompous, uppity, accent/in the style of Owen Paterson MP being comprehensively owned by Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News - it's gotta be. W z may well have cracked it. :lolol:

I would be hugely cheered to know that the number of unpleasantly jeering Albion supporters is actually less than I thought.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm sorry but that is complete bollocks. Can you find this report please so that we can see what it is you've misinterpreted. Thanks :thumbsup:

You really are the laziest object on this board.Time you asked your tea-boy friend to teach you how to Google,or perhaps he could steal some confidential papers from someone.With a quick look,there are at least 20 recent articles on FDI.Here is an extract from the one that shows Great Britain in it's best lights.

creepy tit.png:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would be hugely cheered to know that the number of unpleasantly jeering Albion supporters is actually less than I thought.

Well it's certainly 1 less as pastafarian has outed himself as Cunning fergus. I just wonder if he will come clean and tell us how many accounts/personalities he has (if indeed, he knows himself ???)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here