Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Less than 10% ..... no I wouldn't.

There is one MEP for every 880,000 British voters, The EU average is one MEP for 486,000 voters. Also, our MEPs don't vote as a block their minimal influence is further diminished as they are spread out amongst numerous political groupings. A reminder that my initial point was having the democratic accountability to remove our government, equating this power to voting for a few MEP's is laughable.

Veto you say. Have you heard of something called Qualified majority voting (Extended to cover numerous new areas after the Lisbon treaty.)?

hixhagemann1novemberfigure1b.png

Figures-3-and-4.png

Never lost it indeed :facepalm:

I wonder how many other countries MEP's are a majority made up of a party that is anti EU, default position to vote against any EU proposal?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Groovy glum gang out in force today. From what I've seen in the Sunday papers the EU seem to be taking a more lenient stance. Starting to get a little worried about security

Are we?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And if there is one symbol of the backwards looking Brexiteers it’s a blue passport. At least have the imagination to think up something new for the fresh start you’ve been banging on about.

Don't use up all your absurd anti Tory and anti Brexit drivel today or you'll have nothing irrelevant to post tomorrow.

Did you bother answering the Europol question, I was looking forward to hearing if you were just making it up as usual ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This message is hidden because BigGully is on your ignore list

:thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Don't use up all your absurd anti Tory and anti Brexit drivel today or you'll have nothing irrelevant to post tomorrow.

Did you bother answering the Europol question, I was looking forward to hearing if you were just making it up as usual ?

Gosh, you've just reminded me of some real drivel. I'm thinking of your strange and peculiar theory that because I give a (nominal) amount of money to a political cause I must therefore have the sort of 'mindset' that means I automatically accept economic forecasts stretching into the 2030s. Terrific stuff.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Gosh, you've just reminded me of some real drivel. I'm thinking of your strange and peculiar theory that because I give a (nominal) amount of money to a political cause I must therefore have the sort of 'mindset' that means I automatically accept economic forecasts stretching into the 2030s. Terrific stuff.

Political cause:lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’ve just been catching up on Mays idiotic discussions with Merkel. So, leaving the jurisdiction of ECJ is a red line she won’t cross. But she also wants to remain a member of the EU’s law enforcement arm, Europol, and the European arrest warrant...... but both are policed by the ECJ. Even an idiot can see you can’t therefore be a member of these.

Canada, USA, Australia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Ukraine, China, Russia, Turkey to name but a few all seem to be able to strike mutually beneficial co-operation agreements with Europol without the need to submit to the ECJ . Why would we be different.

You should have watched the select committee meetings on the European arrest warrant
Very enlightening. Various alternatives to ECJ primacy and working with the arrest warrant procedure were explored and explained as possibilities,

The EU use us far far far more than we use them on arrest warrant requests. It was acknowledged The EU are going to be mutually interested in arriving at an agreement on the EAW.

Various models were discussed including bilateral extradition arrangements, arbitration panels, transnational courts and tribunals, similar arrangements as non EU Norway and non EU Iceland already have separately with the arrest warrant in the form of an arbitration mechanism along a separate courts model, representations at Eurojust like The USA, Switzerland and Norway currently have. All based on mutual co-operation but retaining sovereignty.
It was explained in committee that as of yet The ECJ has not ruled anyway on any cases involving the UK and the arrest warrant, the mechanisms and agreements in place have so far worked without the need for the ECJ to become involved in disputes..
You could, apparently,if there was mutual agreement, and as a fallback revert to international law and the 1957 Council of Europe Convention with regard to arrest warrants , which we are still signatories, with disputes concluded at diplomatic levels.

There are plenty of options and scenarios out there for agreement on the EAW without the need for primacy of the ECJ. I guess perceived success in coming to a future agreement on this issue depends if you are glass half full or half empty type of person.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Canada, USA, Australia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Ukraine, China, Russia, Turkey to name but a few all seem to be able to strike mutually beneficial co-operation agreements with Europol without the need to submit to the ECJ . Why would we be different.

You should have watched the select committee meetings on the European arrest warrant
Very enlightening. Various alternatives to ECJ primacy and working with the arrest warrant procedure were explored and explained as possibilities,

The EU use us far far far more than we use them on arrest warrant requests. It was acknowledged The EU are going to be mutually interested in arriving at an agreement on the EAW.

Various models were discussed including bilateral extradition arrangements, arbitration panels, transnational courts and tribunals, similar arrangements as non EU Norway and non EU Iceland already have separately with the arrest warrant in the form of an arbitration mechanism along a separate courts model, representations at Eurojust like The USA, Switzerland and Norway currently have. All based on mutual co-operation but retaining sovereignty.
It was explained in committee that as of yet The ECJ has not ruled anyway on any cases involving the UK and the arrest warrant, the mechanisms and agreements in place have so far worked without the need for the ECJ to become involved in disputes..
You could, apparently,if there was mutual agreement, and as a fallback revert to international law and the 1957 Council of Europe Convention with regard to arrest warrants , which we are still signatories, with disputes concluded at diplomatic levels.

There are plenty of options and scenarios out there for agreement on the EAW without the need for primacy of the ECJ. I guess perceived success in coming to a future agreement on this issue depends if you are glass half full or half empty type of person.

You seem to have totally missed the fact May said she wants to remain a member. Membership is quite different to a co-operation agreement. I’m not aware the US are members.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This message is hidden because BigGully is on your ignore list

:thumbsup:

You notice how its only the limp-wristed remainers pretending to ignore people in order to retreat to their echo chamber bubble.
Says quite a lot about their whole arrogant remain mindset when they can no longer justify their arguments.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You notice how its only the limp-wristed remainers pretending to ignore people in order to retreat to their echo chamber bubble.
Says quite a lot about their whole arrogant remain mindset when they can no longer justify their arguments.

I’m happy to debate with most people. But it gets a bit tiring with semi-literate posters who continually miss your point. And who then make shit up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here