Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Good article in the FT

https://www.ft.com/content/23dc17d8-ba57-11e8-94b2-17176fbf93f5

The swivel eyed loons need to accept May's crap deal or risk their whole project

I said a year ago on here, I believe there is more chance of no Brexit than no deal. Nothing has changed

It becoming obvious that Boris realised he back the wrong side, yes the deal is way worse than what we have now. Problem is too late Boris, you're as bad as Cameron...

plan B in which the UK agrees to stay in the European Economic Area until a new trade deal is agreed

We were told by someone who knows a thing-or-two about negotiating with The EU last year:

The only way May could secure a good deal for the UK would be by diffusing the EU’s spoiling tactics, while still respecting the Burkean Brexiteers’ strongest argument, the imperative of restoring sovereignty to the House of Commons. And the only way of doing this would be to avoid all negotiations by requesting from Brussels a Norway-style, off-the-shelf arrangement for a period of, say, seven years.

The benefits from such a request would be twofold: first, Eurocrats and Europhiles would have no basis for denying Britain such an arrangement. (Moreover, Schäuble, Merkel and sundry would be relieved that the ball is thrown into their successors’ court seven years down the track.) Second, it would make the House of Commons sovereign again by empowering it to debate and decide upon in the fullness of time, and without the stress of a ticking clock, Britain’s long-term relationship with Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/03/the-six-brexit-traps-that-will-defeat-theresa-may

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Is there is such a thing as a 'critical friend'? Similarly you can love your country and still acknowledge that it has had dark days. You can think of your country as exceptional while acknowledging that others think their countries are too. And you can work together with those countries for mutual benefit without sacrificing any more for them than they sacrifice for you.*

You and people like you have been sold a pup, my friend. For 40 years we've been bombarded by sections of the media with rubbish about straight bananas (eg by Boris who openly admits that he used to make up stuff about the EU) and a vast number of UK citizens have been dragged into an argument within the Tory party. You only have to listen to today's Radio 5 coverage(with lots of input from ordinary people) to appreciate that a good many folk didn't know what they were voting for at the time and seem to understand - and acknowledge - that they know even less about it now.

Rant over. Space for counter-rant available!

*and please don't say that we pay in more than just about everyone else and at the same time say 'it's not about the money'

I do tend to get a bit annoyed about people trying to re-write history.When the author of that travesty said we were allied to emerging global super-powers I tried to think who he could possibly mean?When we were on our own in Europe against the Axis,the USA was neutral and the USSR allied to the Nazis,so what was he gibbering about?Rant over,everything going ever onwards to Brexit,and Albion thrashing Stains!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I could accept a Norway deal, even though it would mean accepting laws that we have no say in. We would lose our 73 votes in the European parliament.

Short of another vote actually happening in a no deal scenario, I struggle to see how we'll end up actually remaining anymore than The EU wanting us back after we've left at all, same terms as now or not. The EEA and customs union buys time in being able to agree a future trade deal and relationship and it doesn't have to be permanent either. As I said earlier, if we do leave with no deal in March I think we'll end up back in The EEA soon enough, as that just isn't sustainable.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Warning from the IMF. I can remember Dennis Healey going cap in hand to the IMF begging for help to get our economy back on track.

The International Monetary Fund has warned that a "no-deal" Brexit on World Trade Organization terms would entail "substantial costs" for the UK economy.

The IMF said that all likely Brexit scenarios would "entail costs", but a disorderly departure could lead to "a significantly worse outcome".

The challenges in getting a deal done remained "daunting", it said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45546785

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you'll accept what you're given , the vote was to leave the EU single market and customs union, hard work isn't it :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Big fan of democracy then?

I know you have nothing to lose but some of us have put effort into building decent lives for our families and are not looking forward to seeing the quality of our lives slashed just because people couldn't control their fear of foreigners long enough to think this through.

Jan 30, 2008
Big fan of democracy then?

I know you have nothing to lose but some of us have put effort into building decent lives for our families and are not looking forward to seeing the quality of our lives slashed just because people couldn't control their fear of foreigners long enough to think this through.

the Democratic vote was to leave CAN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I could accept a Norway deal, even though it would mean accepting laws that we have no say in. We would lose our 73 votes in the European parliament.

This is the best deal for me, even better than the UK being a full voting member of the EU.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
you'll accept what you're given , the vote was to leave the EU single market and customs union, hard work isn't it :rolleyes:
regards
DR

So, if Theresa May does a deal where we leave but stay in the single market and customs union, you'll be happy cos you got what you were given.

D

Deleted member 22389

Last edited by a moderator:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Unless we are prepared to put our hands in our pockets and pay a bit more for things like the NHS, stop wasting money, this is the way it will go. Too many people, not enough money going on. The NHS has already gone private in some areas, so nothing new.

The article is concerned with more than just the NHS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here