Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Serial Brexit Bleater :tantrum: cannot get over people ignoring him and isn't grown up enough to move on,or retire to Jersey.

boleatbol.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
See Eurotunnel are very confident about the future,even in a no-deal scenario.They already handle 25%+ of the trade and have capacity and technology to cope with plenty more.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Having exchanged views and 'pleasantries' on numerous occasions can I assure you your tendency to misrepresent - strawman opinions is a regular occurrence.

Apologies I might not have made myself clear. I was referring to you being the one with an agenda, as you were claiming your long-standing friend was quite an important person, rather famous and involved with hundreds possibly thousands of people, many greeting him wherever he went. I assumed you added all this fluff to try and suggest his opinion was significant. Your further explanation where you say he is actually unimportant and just offering a vague view based on Barnsley feeling left behind since industries closed decades ago perhaps shows why personal anecdotes/opinions aren't usually considered as compelling evidence when trying to draw wider conclusions. As I said before there are numerous Barnsley residents online giving their reasons for voting for Brexit. Most of them mention immigration.

Boston! ... which has seen large-scale EU migration, the residents electing numerous UKIP councillors in response. Yet you still believe they went to the polls and voted for Leave by a landslide for issues mainly unrelated to membership of the EU. :facepalm:

Call me cynical but here was I thinking your ongoing need to question and misinterpret most leave voters motivations was just another avenue to try and delegitimise the referendum result. Which is why you immediately brought up the softest of Brexits as an option.
Yes, I will call you cynical if I may and your second para just reheats your old arguments. Although I accept I could have said East Lincolnshire rather than just Boston. Seduced by the possibilities of alliteration.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another depressing read. Can't you just lighten up, think positive and the problems will just drift away.

Indeed. Bloody remoaners and their inconvenient obstacles.

I didn't read it like that. I took it to mean that the problems of leaving the customs union were so complicated to solve that we're not going to do it. There seems to be an understanding that whatever we say about leaving the customs union, it's not going to happen as it would grind this country's trade to a halt. So, everything is going to carry on as before.

I thought it was quite positive: a realisation by the government that meaningless slogans like "Brexit means Brexit" were, well, meaningless and there needs to be a pragmatic approach. Of course, as the article says, the EU have to take this approach too but why should they make trouble for themselves by doing otherwise?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
More importantly, they seem confident they can deliver a smooth transition to the most likely outcome where we agree to a new comprehensive free trade agreement.

Shame that The Government, HMRC, UKBF, Kent Police and Kent County Council won't be able to though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
More importantly, they seem confident they can deliver a smooth transition to the most likely outcome where we agree to a new comprehensive free trade agreement.

Capture1.png

Capture-1.png

https://www.getlinkgroup.com/upload...2018/Presentation-Investor-Day-19June2018.pdf

TBH I'll take their self-aggrandising propaganda with a pinch of salt. Their claims of 'zero additional' queuing time since the introduction of 2015 exit checks, for example, is (in my personal experience) absolutely not true.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Shirley it would be dependant on what type of deal is reached and how long they have to implement the changes.

It's the status quo or build what's required in Kent. If it's the latter, it won't be ready by December 2020 and the 'end' of the proposed 'transition', let alone next April and a no deal scenario which Getlink themselves acknowledge, like everyone else, we're obviously not going to be ready for. Getlink are just talking a good game for the ears of potential new investors, but they're prisoners of circumstance like everyone else.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So the remain luvvies take a French company's word with a pinch of salt,but rely on a Murdoch company for their propaganda.You couldn't make it up!:lolol::lolol::lolol:
Wonder if Euroland exporters will let Barmier and Selmayr kill off a good proportion of their trade?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lastly, we get to the people who seem to have a grasp of the implications of Brexit, [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] (Sorry gentleman, the very definition of damning with faint praise). Even they are reduced to avoiding the main issue with forays of whataboutism where they win the occasional argument.

Two years on from the vote, 9 months from us 'leaving' the EU what have we got ? Two possibilities

1/ Softest of soft Brexits, still in a customs union, freedom of movement, significant contributions, no influence whatsoever.

2/ Continued fudging/Further extensions of membership until another vote (GE or referendum).

But this is what we voted for, and this is the reality of where this total clusterf*** has got us,

But who could have seen this coming :facepalm:

Honoured and touched though I am for your mention I think you may be a bit premature to be announcing 'Brexit isn't going to happen'.

I utterly agree May and her cohorts are making a dogs dinner of it ( although I'm not entirely sure any cabinet made up of any party wouldn't be in the same position ) but IMO we will still leave and we won't be part or the current customs union or single market. Is it likely to be what 'I voted for' ? No, obviously. That said, nobody - leavers nor remainers - know what we will end up with despite some of the crowing on here. As for my forays in whataboutism, well, I'm happy to debate sensibly with those that want ( I class you among that group ) but some of the silly posts from some - implying every job loss is down to Brexit ala HT or the Braveheart style posts from young Plooks about defending the EU realm - can only be answered with whataboutism ..... indeed it's quite fun :lol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Look like the government will win the vote tonight, but lose the war

Capture.JPG

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Honoured and touched though I am for your mention I think you may be a bit premature to be announcing 'Brexit isn't going to happen'.

I utterly agree May and her cohorts are making a dogs dinner of it ( although I'm not entirely sure any cabinet made up of any party wouldn't be in the same position ) but IMO we will still leave and we won't be part or the current customs union or single market. Is it likely to be what 'I voted for' ? No, obviously. That said, nobody - leavers nor remainers - know what we will end up with despite some of the crowing on here. As for my forays in whataboutism, well, I'm happy to debate sensibly with those that want ( I class you among that group ) but some of the silly posts from some - implying every job loss is down to Brexit ala HT or the Braveheart style posts from young Plooks about defending the EU realm - can only be answered with whataboutism ..... indeed it's quite fun :lol:

I think we agree on quite a lot, but

I didn't say 'Brexit isn't going to happen' or 'The current customs union' as you well know. That's the first group (the fantasists) who read things that aren't there :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
TBH I'll take their self-aggrandising propaganda with a pinch of salt. Their claims of 'zero additional' queuing time since the introduction of 2015 exit checks, for example, is (in my personal experience) absolutely not true.

So the remain luvvies take a French company's word with a pinch of salt,but rely on a Murdoch company for their propaganda.You couldn't make it up!:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Not for the first time, you're dribbling crap all over your keyboard.

I'm one person (singular, rather than representative of 'remain luvvies') and I'm questioning their statement, because in MY EXPERIENCE (of sitting in longer, slower queues), what they claim is not true. I'll ignore the Murdoch thing as I have literally no idea what you're referring to.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here