Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not quite worked as well as the ERG head bangers thought today would, wonder what stunt they will try next ???

Trying to have a leadership challenge now....it just shows these all nationalists care about is their idealogical agenda that cannot be delivered

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The Brexit Tory loonies seem to have only c20 at the moment, despite two days. Has rees smog overplayed his grimy little hand?

Are't you the fella that posted that the Lib Debs would win the next GE shortly after the referendum, welcome back deeerrrrr ....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I suspect the majority of the people in the country would actually accept the deal, especially businesses. Glad to get it over. move on.

Unfortunately democracy in this country doesn't work like that. We are left with a bunch of cretins in parliament patronising everybody with what THEY believe was voted for on either side.

As normal human beings we are quite happy to deal with compromise, politicians on the other hand in a mythical land where they promise everything, fail on most and **** off to a job in the city afterwards.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I suspect the majority of the people in the country would actually accept the deal, especially businesses. Glad to get it over. move on.

Unfortunately democracy in this country doesn't work like that. We are left with a bunch of cretins in parliament patronising everybody with what THEY believe was voted for on either side.

As normal human beings we are quite happy to deal with compromise, politicians on the other hand in a mythical land where they promise everything, fail on most and **** off to a job in the city afterwards.

No one surpasses me in their distaste for these unpatriotic little oiks but we need to be wary of how we use the word 'compromise'. Moderate only by comparison, the deal on the table remains an extreme solution by all normal standards, leaving Britain a poorer and meaner place, its stature and influence reduced.

Of the three forward options mentioned by May only one offers this country the kind of future its children deserve. To get there Parliament will have to run the gauntlet but it's a risk worth taking - the HoC took a chance when it appointed Churchill and now is the time to do it again. Rise up, backbenchers. This nightmare can be stopped.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

I tend to agree with you. I reckon you have 20% on either side who wouldn't but that leaves 60% in the middle plus most business. I hope May stays in her job, gets this done so we can move on. I'm sick to death of it and I'm sure I'm not alone

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I agree, and I certainly would take it.

But get it over and move on ?

This is only phase 1.

We still have all the arguing and negotiation about the future relationship to come. The attached political declaration is really just a guideline. Everything from Canada+++ to Norway+++ is still in the mix even if this deal is accepted.

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Yep agree and be done with it

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You sit down, come up with a plan, discuss it with the eu people so you know it is feasible and not fantastical and then we vote on it. You then start negotiations with a plan that pretty much just requires both sides to sign it off.

And the EU said they wouldn't discuss anything with us until we'd triggered Article 50 :facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Meanwhile Leadsom has formed a clan to try and bully May in cabinet to change course, she won't change.

If the Tories trigger a leadership challenge now I think they will pay a heavy price from the public.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree, and I certainly would take it.

But get it over and move on ?

This is only phase 1.

We still have all the arguing and negotiation about the future relationship to come. The attached political declaration is really just a guideline. Everything from Canada+++ to Norway+++ is still in the mix even if this deal is accepted.

I would be interested to have this from Farage, evaluated by the Leavers on here. I hope you are able to see the problems with his argument, but if not I will be happy to point them out. https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-stadlen/nigel-farage-irish-border-issue-greatest-hoax/

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would be interested to have this from Farage, evaluated by the Leavers on here. I hope you are able to see the problems with his argument, but if not I will be happy to point them out. https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-stadlen/nigel-farage-irish-border-issue-greatest-hoax/
To be blunt, I have zero interest in anything that Farage says, except when he'll be giving his testimony in court after the FBI investigation. Assuming he hasn't bolted to Moscow beforehand of course.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
To be blunt, I have zero interest in anything that Farage says, except when he'll be giving his testimony in court after the FBI investigation. Assuming he hasn't bolted to Moscow beforehand of course.

I am just interested to know if his bullshit is still palatable to Leavers, my reckoning is that most of the leavers on here know it is bull, but they want it to be true.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I call bullshit on that! The majority of people want less freedom!? No way.

Well, 48% voted to stay in the EU. If we can't have that, then this is the next best thing, a soft brexit that keeps us aligned so that trade and services don't suffer, maintains high regulatory standards, keeps visa-free travel, allows EU citizens already here to stay, puts only limited barriers up to getting work-visas, looks like it won't harm our higher education institutions and prevents a hard border in Ireland. TAll in all the financial shock out of that won't be too hard too soon, so to be honest its a pretty decent deal she's got.

So, if we absolutely have to leave, the vast majority of the 48% will support this, and there'll be enough Leavers that will support it too. So yes, I reckon the majority would support it, perhaps by a two-thirds margin, perhaps more?

It delivers what the fishermen and farmers want; it puts an end to free movement for work so only the more radical anti-immigration crowd will dislike that those already here can stay; and we will no longer be paying into the EU budget so those that want their extra 350m a week into the NHS can keep on trying to get that. That answers the concerns of many of the people who voted leave.

there are still some problems of course, and its still not as good a deal as staying in, but it can just about be lived with. But I'm tempted to support it being voted down in parliament because that's almost certain to lead to Peoples Vote and staying in.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well, 48% voted to stay in the EU. If we can't have that, then this is the next best thing, a soft brexit that keeps us aligned so that trade and services don't suffer, maintains high regulatory standards, keeps visa-free travel, allows EU citizens already here to stay, puts only limited barriers up to getting work-visas, looks like it won't harm our higher education institutions and prevents a hard border in Ireland. TAll in all the financial shock out of that won't be too hard too soon, so to be honest its a pretty decent deal she's got.

So, if we absolutely have to leave, the vast majority of the 48% will support this, and there'll be enough Leavers that will support it too. So yes, I reckon the majority would support it, perhaps by a two-thirds margin, perhaps more?

It delivers what the fishermen and farmers want; it puts an end to free movement for work so only the more radical anti-immigration crowd will dislike that those already here can stay; and we will no longer be paying into the EU budget so those that want their extra 350m a week into the NHS can keep on trying to get that. That answers the concerns of many of the people who voted leave.

there are still some problems of course, and its still not as good a deal as staying in, but it can just about be lived with. But I'm tempted to support it being voted down in parliament because that's almost certain to lead to Peoples Vote and staying in.

Agreed, if we have to leave, then this deal is about the best anyone can hope for realistically, trouble is, there are plenty of fantasists involved.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Spot on, exactly how I feel. The idea that we can go back to the EU and change it now is just fantasy. Time to start using political energy on other issues

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here