Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We import 200 tonnes of the stuff a year from the EU - your mates in the EU won't let us ban it. In fact the RSPCA are extremely critical of EU's lack of animal welfare. We wouldn't want to put a few French producers out of business after all. And HT, your mate Corbyn agrees with me. Once we've left we can deal with this, live exports, low animal welfare ( even everybody's hate figure Grove is doing good things towards this issue ) and the disgusting treatment of dairy cattle in Italy. Your precious EU actually supports animal cruelty.

There is certainly room for improvement on animal welfare across the EU, but in the same manner that I am critical of the current government, and previous ones, binning them off and trying to declare West Sussex independence is not a good option. None of us think the EU is perfect, but it does provide many things of benefit to us all, it appears that negotiations are trying to retain close connections, and retain as many of the benefits as we can get away with, but without playing by all the rules. I am pretty sure banning fois gras is not going to come anywhere near a list, let alone the top end of one.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I honestly believe that Boris's description of what the Brexit vote is not ("a V sign from the cliffs of Dover") pretty much spot-on describes what it really was for a great many people. In fact it's a very clever phrase.

If the leave side wanted someone to try and pull the country together, in Boris they picked the worse possible candidate today. What we saw today was Boris's greatest hits

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
right, so you dont understand the difference between currency and economy. thats fine, its not everyday stuff, no need to turn it around on me. though it's my fault for engaging in pedantry when it was never going to be productive. and now there will be insults and dismissal.

When the economy grows, there is more currency in it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He did write a very entertaining book about the great man. :thumbsup:

51whvk355vL.jpg

If you say so. I read this morning that in his review of the book the historian Sir Richard Evans said that it was "like being cornered in the Drones Club and harangued for hours by Bertie Wooster".

Oliver Kamm, best known as a leader writer on the (narrowly Remain) Times, describes Johnson as saying "the first thing that comes into his head. He will randomly cite names of philosophical heroes without having understood them. He is not intellectually nugatory, just idle and incompetent. Not in my lifetime has there been a politician with less substance inflicting greater national damage."

I recall a woman being interviewed on the seafront at Margate by a BBC South crew before the referendum. The lady seemed to think that the 23 June event was some sort of X-Factor spin-off and explained that she was bored with Cameron. She was voting instead for the "entertainer politician".

Meet Boris, hero of the Brexiteers, a British hero for our times.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When the economy grows, there is more currency in it.

maybe, maybe not, depends a lot of other factors. more money leads to inflation and growth is supposed to be calculated in real terms, without inflation.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If you say so. I read this morning that in his review of the book the historian Sir Richard Evans said that it was "like being cornered in the Drones Club and harangued for hours by Bertie Wooster".

Oliver Kamm, best known as a leader writer on the (narrowly Remain) Times, describes Johnson as saying "the first thing that comes into his head. He will randomly cite names of philosophical heroes without having understood them. He is not intellectually nugatory, just idle and incompetent. Not in my lifetime has there been a politician with less substance inflicting greater national damage."

I recall a woman being interviewed on the seafront at Margate by a BBC South crew before the referendum. The lady seemed to think that the 23 June event was some sort of X-Factor spin-off and explained that she was bored with Cameron. She was voting instead for the "entertainer politician".

Meet Boris, hero of the Brexiteers, a British hero for our times.

Not just me ... 'He writes with gusto... the result is a book that is never boring, genuinely clever ... this book sizzles.' The Times

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20893481-the-churchill-factor

Oliver Kamm, leader writer in the Remain supporting Times, a Labour supporter, big fan of T Blair and speaking of damage ... a huge fan of his foreign wars.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not just me ... 'He writes with gusto... the result is a book that is never boring, genuinely clever ... this book sizzles.' The Times

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20893481-the-churchill-factor

Oliver Kamm, leader writer in the Remain supporting Times, a Labour supporter, big fan of T Blair and speaking of damage ... a huge fan of his foreign wars.

The fact that you go to the trouble of pointing out that Kamm is a leader writer for the Times and that the Times backed Remain at the time suggests you don't fully read the posts you reply to. You're right that Kamm supported the Iraq war. So did many. And so did, enthusiastically, that hero of Brexit, the joke-a-minute liar, the man who prefers smutty jokes to solid information, our nation's ambassador to the world, Boris 'dogging' Johnson. Defend him all you like.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Disappointed, listened to Boris and still can't see the sunny uplands. First five minutes he spent telling us what remainers fear, he was pretty accurate there, then said nothing to dissuade me that those fears are real and justified.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The outside world is perplexed like most of the country at the lack of anything of substance in Boris's speech

https://www.wsj.com/articles/brexit-heads-for-showdown-over-irish-border-1518646331

It was well summed up in The Irish Times - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...t-as-brexit-speech-short-on-content-1.3392276

But like a retired entertainer on a comeback tour, Johnson struggled to recapture the old magic as the gags fell flat and he stood sweating and his audience stayed silent. As with most flops, the problem lay in the material – Johnson had nothing to say about Brexit that anyone needed to hear.

On a separate note, strange how the Irish are getting ready for March 2019 at The Port of Dublin, yet nothing much is being done at Dover that needs to be- https://www.irishtimes.com/business...hecks-ahead-of-expected-hard-brexit-1.3392194

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
On a separate note, strange how the Irish are getting ready for March 2019 at The Port of Dublin, yet nothing much is being done at Dover that needs to be- https://www.irishtimes.com/business...hecks-ahead-of-expected-hard-brexit-1.3392194

A good reminder link, well posted.
A few cloud cuckoo land remainers on here(clamp Herr T) who think Brexit wont happen should read your link and take some lessons from the Irish, they appear to know full well we are leaving the EU, the single market and the customs union…….I wonder why this truth is so hard for some to comprehend.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
A few cloud cuckoo land remainers on here(clamp Herr T) who think Brexit wont happen should read your link and take some lessons from the Irish, they appear to know full well we are leaving the EU, the single market and the customs union…….I wonder why this truth is so hard for some to comprehend.

Spectacularly missing the point he was making.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Time for a United Ireland perhaps, then we can just concentrate on keeping Scotland in the union after Brexit. Might be the best solution for you Brexiteers, your technology solution won't secure our borders from the EU, which is what you want to keep those bloody Jonny foreigners out

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Time for a United Ireland perhaps, then we can just concentrate on keeping Scotland in the union after Brexit. Might be the best solution for you Brexiteers, your technology solution won't secure our borders from the EU, which is what you want to keep those bloody Jonny foreigners out

A United Ireland should have happened years ago.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

You appear to have just said that various official state authorities, including whoever's in charge of the Port of Dover, don't think it's going to happen either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here