Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Michael Gove apparently offered the job of Brexit Secretary.

Holy shit. Wasn't sure the ship could sink much further.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:lolol:

Surely someone should have a quiet word with her?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Theresa May said as much herself this morning. She will never get this deal through parliament and said it could be no deal or no brexit.
Many Mps are calling for a Peoples Vote.

No she didnt. Try and listen to what she said, what she followed up with and interpret that correctly. She was clear she doesnt wish to risk no Brexit and the obvious consequences of ignoring the vote.

"We can choose to leave with no deal, we can RISK no brexit at all or we can choose to unite and support the best deal that can be negotiated"

"It is the duty of members of this parliament to ensure that we deliver on the choice that was made by the British people, a choice that this parliament overwhelmingly decided to give them, that means we will not be taking the option that she said of remaining in the European Union but we will be indeed leaving the European Union and that will happen on 29th march next year."

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Seriously? That slimeball. Clueless.

That's it for me. She needs to go and go now. Let David Davis take charge with Boris and Dominic Raab. Get Brexit through then let Raab takeover and call a general election.

In times of crisis you need a man for the job. David Davis is that. Probably not a great Prime Minister for anything else, but Churchill wasn't either. One policy PM for a year to get us through this and out properly then let fresh blood Raab go for it.

I'd be happy with that.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
w1ecd3.gif

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Watching it live on BBC Parliament. Every petty politician gets to say their little piece then they bugger off without listening to anybody else. Maybot has to stay there and field every single bit of showboating. The chamber is emptying faster than the Amex on 85 minutes. It's a shameful spectacle.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Watching it live on BBC Parliament. Every petty politician gets to say their little piece then they bugger off without listening to anybody else. Maybot has to stay there and field every single bit of showboating. The chamber is emptying faster than the Amex on 85 minutes. It's a shameful spectacle.

You know that when Ruth Smeeth MP for stoke gets her minute to shine and uses it to complain that ceramics was only mentioned once in the EU withdrawal agreement that its time to pack up and go home for the day

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have seen this.

Please point to the bit where it says there was a "vote at conference to stay in the EU", which JC is supposedly not adhering to.

The BBC haven't reported it in full. The reason they voted to go for a People's vote was because over 80% of Labour party members want to stay in the EU.

[tweet]1062065321262092288[/tweet]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seriously? That slimeball. Clueless.

That's it for me. She needs to go and go now. Let David Davis take charge with Boris and Dominic Raab. Get Brexit through then let Raab takeover and call a general election.

In times of crisis you need a man for the job. David Davis is that. Probably not a great Prime Minister for anything else, but Churchill wasn't either. One policy PM for a year to get us through this and out properly then let fresh blood Raab go for it.

I'd be happy with that.
Have you been asleep for the past year? Davis was the guy described by a fellow Brexiteer as "thick as mince, lazy as toad". He's the minister who spent a year as Brexit secretary and got anywhere. Probably the worst cabinet minister of last five years - and there's stiff competition there

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It was great to see my MP finally stand up in Parliament.

Just a shame he showed all the backbone of a jellyfish having just eaten a substantial blancmange supper, as he heap praise on Terry May. :facepalm:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Agree completely that no one will stop importing or exporting from Britain. It would be disaster for both sides. That's why there won't be a 'no deal'.

We can't use our current tariffs with WTO as we don't have any. We currently, as members of the EU, use theirs.

There are no secret trade talks - trust me :wink:

I don't think we are going to agree on this, but thanks for the respectful exchange of views.

When I said current WTO tariffs I meant the current EU ones. There is a transition period of two years. Now whether that happens on a no deal, I don't think it set. At the moment I woulde imagine you would say no. But push comes to shove, well, as you agree imports/exports are not going to stop.

I can see as an emergency message that we could use our current (EU) tariffs for as period in the event of a no deal.

I honestly see us leaving the EU on 29th March regardless, and regardless of a deal or no deal, I don't think much will change for a few years.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
:lolol:
Im sure the Lib Dems feel they can risk No Brexit and getting themselves wiped off the political map, they have nothing to lose being virtually non existent anyway.
Labour and the Tories will not risk the political wilderness for generations and let remain be an option.

In response to weasel Soubry today
"It is the duty of members of this parliament to ensure that we deliver on the choice that was made by the British people, a choice that this parliament overwhelmingly decided to give them, that means we will not be taking the option that she said of remaining in the European Union but we will be indeed leaving the European Union and that will happen on 29th march next year."
T May

How much of what Theresa May has said since becoming PM has gone as she has stated? Brexit means Brexit? No snap Election? Strong and Stable Government? No deal better than a bad deal? She is most reliable as a contra-indicator of what will happen next.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Really? I'll just put this here then:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...terview-peoples-vote-referendum-a8629426.html

Labour’s shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer has said the UK’s withdrawal from the EU “can be stopped”, contradicting comments by party leader Jeremy Corbyn.

In an interview with German newspaper Der Spiegel, Mr Corbyn dismissed calls to attempt to prevent Brexit, saying: “We can’t stop it. The referendum took place. Article 50 has been triggered. What we can do is recognise the reasons why people voted leave.”

Amid confusion over the party’s Brexit stance, Sir Keir pointed out that Labour’s official policy is to leave all options on the table, including a second referendum.

So which is it then? :rolleyes:

Ignore the idiots who write shite and read what was agreed at the Conference, General Election is priority if they can't get that then a peoples vote/2nd referendum would be the policy

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The BBC haven't reported it in full. The reason they voted to go for a People's vote was because over 80% of Labour party members want to stay in the EU.

[tweet]1062065321262092288[/tweet]

You're backtracking and changing the story now. You were wrong, just admit it. It doesn't matter what the BBC or anyone else reports - there was never any motion passed at the Labour conference to stay in the EU. You know, a lot of people don't want to leave the EU, but they can respect the opinions of those that do. Keeping options open for a 'public vote' is miles away from passing a motion to stay in the EU (ignoring the results of any past/future referendums or GEs).

The approved motion referred to the party supporting a public vote on the final deal if the final deal negotiated is not viewed as favourable and no GE is called. It was said that a second referendum on the final deal should be an option. As I say, this is miles away from a motion suggesting that the UK should stay in the EU.

That tweet isn't even referring to anything that happened at conference btw, and doesn't refer to the % of Labour members who want to stay in the EU, so I'm not sure why you posted it. It's referring to a YouGov poll of Labour members in respect of a 'People's Vote'.

John McDonnell has today said Labour will keep the "People's Vote" on the table if there isn't a GE, which just so happens to align with the motion passed at conference.

[tweet]1063049731771850753[/tweet]

Remainers and Brexiteers are both as bad as each other. Either they often do not know what they're talking about, or just wilfully spread fake news.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
Typical Toby remoaners bleating about being loosers. In the words of my favourite frictional character Mr Grace from Are You Being Served ‘were all doing very well’ so suck it up Rodney’s

Regards
DR

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ignore the idiots who write shite and read what was agreed at the Conference, General Election is priority if they can't get that then a peoples vote/2nd referendum would be the policy

Apparently you are mistaken, [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says members voted at conference to stay in the EU ???

Many Labour supporters are upset with him for not upholding the vote at conference to stay in the EU. It wouldn't surprise me to see him ousted too.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You're backtracking and changing the story now. You were wrong, just admit it. It doesn't matter what the BBC or anyone else reports - there was never any motion passed at the Labour conference to stay in the EU. You know, a lot of people don't want to leave the EU, but they can respect the opinions of those that do. Keeping options open for a 'public vote' is miles away from passing a motion to stay in the EU (ignoring the results of any past/future referendums or GEs).

The approved motion referred to the party supporting a public vote on the final deal if the final deal negotiated is not viewed as favourable and no GE is called. It was said that a second referendum on the final deal should be an option. As I say, this is miles away from a motion suggesting that the UK should stay in the EU.

That tweet isn't even referring to anything that happened at conference btw, and doesn't refer to the % of Labour members who want to stay in the EU, so I'm not sure why you posted it. It's referring to a YouGov poll of Labour members in respect of a 'People's Vote'.

John McDonnell has today said Labour will keep the "People's Vote" on the table if there isn't a GE, which just so happens to align with the motion passed at conference.

[tweet]1063049731771850753[/tweet]

Remainers and Brexiteers are both as bad as each other. Either they often do not know what they're talking about, or just wilfully spread fake news.

Fair comment. I have seen lots of comments by Labour party members who are worried about Corbyn and McDonnell because those two are very much for Brexit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here