Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
We import 200 tonnes of the stuff a year from the EU - your mates in the EU won't let us ban it. In fact the RSPCA are extremely critical of EU's lack of animal welfare. We wouldn't want to put a few French producers out of business after all. And HT, your mate Corbyn agrees with me. Once we've left we can deal with this, live exports, low animal welfare ( even everybody's hate figure Grove is doing good things towards this issue ) and the disgusting treatment of dairy cattle in Italy. Your precious EU actually supports animal cruelty.

If after leaving the EU the issues such as the import of Foie Gras and live exports are stopped then that is obviously a good thing for animal welfare issues. If however we then begin to overfish, reintroduce currently banned pesticides, import food from the US where animal welfare is poor, and prevent future EU legislation designed to protect the environment then you have to question if leaving the EU is good for animal welfare overall?

These are all issues I expect most Brexieteers, including Gove, would be in favour of, I certainly know Mogg would like to reintroduce overfishing, banned pesticides and prevent future EU legislation designed to protect the environment. Don’t believe for one second that these people have animal welfare or environmental issues at the tops of their agendas.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I certainly know Mogg would like to reintroduce overfishing, banned pesticides and prevent future EU legislation designed to protect the environment. D

Hmmm .... interesting claim. Care to point me to any speech, publication or even printed rumour that this is true ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We import 200 tonnes of the stuff a year from the EU - your mates in the EU won't let us ban it. In fact the RSPCA are extremely critical of EU's lack of animal welfare. We wouldn't want to put a few French producers out of business after all. And HT, your mate Corbyn agrees with me. Once we've left we can deal with this, live exports, low animal welfare ( even everybody's hate figure Grove is doing good things towards this issue ) and the disgusting treatment of dairy cattle in Italy. Your precious EU actually supports animal cruelty.

I agree but I’d prefer to tackle animal welfare within the EU and as part of a Europe wide drive. Surely having the whole of Europe a better place for animals is better than just the U.K.? And I am willing to bet animal welfare standards will not be anywhere near the agenda when these supposed deals with countries with much lower standards than the U.K./EU like US, Aus and China are struck. And why is Gove suddenly the go-to man for animals?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I notice a lot of remainers have been quoting Daniel Hannan over the last few pages in some attempt to suggest he now doesn't support Brexit. Strange, during an interview on Radio 4 this morning he was quite clear that given Michel Barnier's insistence that we stick to the rules, pay the money and have no say during any implementation period that we should just walk away.

It does seem that the longer this goes on and the clearer the situation is becoming (even for those with no foresight), the more desperate the hard line Brexit supporters are getting.

With the numbers moving towards to the 'off the cliff' scenario, maybe you should have had [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] leading the Brexit negotiations all along ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I notice a lot of remainers have been quoting Daniel Hannan over the last few pages in some attempt to suggest he now doesn't support Brexit. Strange, during an interview on Radio 4 this morning he was quite clear that given Michel Barnier's insistence that we stick to the rules, pay the money and have no say during any implementation period that we should just walk away.

Why walk away? Hasn’t he played the you-need-us-more-then-we-need-you, Prosecco German cars card yet? Or is this proving to be a lot more difficult than you Brexiteers, but us Remainers correctly, predicted?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

How are animal welfare standards going to improve on both our imports and exports when we leave The EU and sign up to all these free trade deals, for 'cheaper food, footwear and clothing' etc with developing countries?. Never mind chlorinated chicken and GM beef from the Americas, having seen farm and agricultural process standards first hand in Africa, presumably one of those places we're now going to be getting all this new cheap food from, do you really think standards and food safety are better there than in The EU and that will change because of Brexit?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hmmm .... interesting claim. Care to point me to any speech, publication or even printed rumour that this is true ?

He was on a BBC politics show (Daily Politics?) talking about what he would do once we leave the EU, was quite a few months ago now, sure its out there somewhere though!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
He was on a BBC politics show (Daily Politics?) talking about what he would do once we leave the EU, was quite a few months ago now, sure its out there somewhere though!

It shouldn’t be such a difficult thing to just take my word for though, the bloke probably wants to remove 90%+ of legislation of any kind.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I love it when one of the Brexiteers gets on here first thing and posts like a madman. Normally it's Pissedasafartagain but nice to see WG taking up the mantle. Jeez Louiiiise, you people must sleep angry!

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
And why is Gove suddenly the go-to man for animals?

Because he actually seems to be doing something about it unlike many of the previous incumbents both Tory and Labour who include some very big hitters such as David Milliband, John Prescott, Michael Heseltine and Chris Patten. The EU has done very little for animal welfare as member countries such as France and Italy keep blocking suggestions for improvements.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Because he actually seems to be doing something about it unlike many of the previous incumbents both Tory and Labour who include some very big hitters such as David Milliband, John Prescott, Michael Heseltine and Chris Patten. The EU has done very little for animal welfare as member countries such as France and Italy keep blocking suggestions for improvements.

Maybe you could go along to his next meeting with the National Union of Farmers and the Countryside Alliance and garner some support :)

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You'd have to go a long way to convince anyone the Tory party give a hoot about animal welfare and you'd have to go even further to convince anyone that Froi bloomin' Grois was anywhere near a consideration for you when you voted Brexit.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Things have changed that much in 24 hours .... pull the other one ! You're just a hypocrite who can't stand seeing his beloved EU held to account and proven not to be so perfect.

When has the EU ever been held to account?
It makes up its own rules on accountability and masks endemic corruption under a cloak of perceived respectability. It employs thousands of bureaucrats at massively inflated salaries and pensions and who wouldn't want to ride that gravy train?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe Michael Gove will concentrate on animal rights now that he has cut plastic recycling targets after pressure from the plastic industry ?

Green to the core :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When has the EU ever been held to account?
It makes up its own rules on accountability and masks endemic corruption under a cloak of perceived respectability. It employs thousands of bureaucrats at massively inflated salaries and pensions and who wouldn't want to ride that gravy train?

Blah blah. We moved on from this tiresome argument months ago.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

No we haven't - just the remainers wish we had because it's one of the reasons the country voted to leave.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you may have. some might still think its important question about the very nature of the EU, and go some way to explain why some what to leave.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
You tend to move on alot when you get found out ...................

Either that or they start using words such as 'Spacktard' - such a lovely idea to merge 'Spastic' and 'retard' - both disgusting words from the 70s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here