Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
May's Deal is bollocks because we'll be taking EU rules without a seat at the table.

That might be acceptable for a country in the Arctic Circle miles from anywhere selling wood and fish but we are a 65 million population top ten global economy with diverse industry just 29 miles from Calais.

The sooner we get a People's Vote the better.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well, 48% voted to stay in the EU. If we can't have that, then this is the next best thing, a soft brexit that keeps us aligned so that trade and services don't suffer, maintains high regulatory standards, keeps visa-free travel, allows EU citizens already here to stay, puts only limited barriers up to getting work-visas, looks like it won't harm our higher education institutions and prevents a hard border in Ireland. TAll in all the financial shock out of that won't be too hard too soon, so to be honest its a pretty decent deal she's got.

So, if we absolutely have to leave, the vast majority of the 48% will support this, and there'll be enough Leavers that will support it too. So yes, I reckon the majority would support it, perhaps by a two-thirds margin, perhaps more?

It delivers what the fishermen and farmers want; it puts an end to free movement for work so only the more radical anti-immigration crowd will dislike that those already here can stay; and we will no longer be paying into the EU budget so those that want their extra 350m a week into the NHS can keep on trying to get that. That answers the concerns of many of the people who voted leave.

there are still some problems of course, and its still not as good a deal as staying in, but it can just about be lived with. But I'm tempted to support it being voted down in parliament because that's almost certain to lead to Peoples Vote and staying in.

This, but it’ll never get through Parliament.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I suspect the majority of the people in the country would actually accept the deal, especially businesses. Glad to get it over. move on.

Unfortunately democracy in this country doesn't work like that. We are left with a bunch of cretins in parliament patronising everybody with what THEY believe was voted for on either side.

As normal human beings we are quite happy to deal with compromise, politicians on the other hand in a mythical land where they promise everything, fail on most and **** off to a job in the city afterwards.

Apparently not. A majority of Leavers and Remainers believe it doesn't respect the referendum result. (Usual caveats apply - only one poll, depends on question etc)

Where-next-01-e1542379913144.png

T1pVlwMh.png

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Are't you the fella that posted that the Lib Debs would win the next GE shortly after the referendum, welcome back deeerrrrr ....

Two and a half years is a long time in politics..... except when it comes to Brexit, where the brexiteers and Tories seem to be incapable of leading us to their promised land. They have proved incapable of sorting this out, so leave it to the people to vote on the three options if they can’t decide themselves

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Apparently not. A majority of Leavers and Remainers believe it doesn't respect the referendum result. (Usual caveats apply - only one poll, depends on question etc)

T1pVlwMh.png

What do you think though, an indefinite period of actual relinquishment of sovereignty rather than a pooled sovereignty must be quite a kick in the nuts for you?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What do you think though, an indefinite period of actual relinquishment of sovereignty rather than a pooled sovereignty must be quite a kick in the nuts for you?

Obviously surrendering, even more, sovereignty doesn't appeal ... at this stage it's just a theoretical kick that probably won't get through parliament so my nuts should be fine.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Spot on, exactly how I feel. The idea that we can go back to the EU and change it now is just fantasy. Time to start using political energy on other issues

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The EU have reached a point where they want us to leave more than the UK wants to leave.

They are fed with our self indulgent demands and have more important things to be worried about

May has already said its the deal, no deal or no Brexit.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

T1pVlwMh.png

That poll has been quoted all over the place and really it can mean anything you want it to mean, depending how you divvy up the 16% dont knows and the 28% remain (which isn't currently on the table)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That poll has been quoted all over the place and really it can mean anything you want it to mean, depending how you divvy up the 16% dont knows and the 28% remain (which isn't currently on the table)

Yes, I mentioned the usual caveats Just posted it on here as many people seemed to be assuming there was widespread support for the deal. Saying that it shows there is little support for the draft deal when people are given options that are still theoretically possible and a clear majority believe the draft doesnt respect the referendum result. A Survation poll found similar resuts 27% said they supported it, 49% were opposed.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Two and a half years is a long time in politics..... except when it comes to Brexit, where the brexiteers and Tories seem to be incapable of leading us to their promised land. They have proved incapable of sorting this out, so leave it to the people to vote on the three options if they can’t decide themselves

But again you are just another poster that seemed confidently resigned to the initial referendum, not a peep about the integrity of the vote when you expected to win, suddenly after the result you were already contemplating how we might Remain in the EU, so whilst you offer current reasons for a Peoples Vote as if this would be a personal credible aspiration, what exactly made you think it reasonable to hope for a way to overturn the result less than 24 hours after the first one ?

Hampster Gull

25th June 2018
# 10706

If an election is held before we exit or invoke our exit and a government is elected on a mandate to stay in the eu then, well, we will stay in the eu.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I just saw the Chichester MP Gillian Keegan interviewed live on Sky News and basically say the more she actually thinks about May's deal, the more she thinks its actually better than the status quo for the country going forward with a straight face.

Not even half one in the afternoon and she must have been more drunk than I was last night. :rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2008
May's Deal is bollocks because we'll be taking EU rules without a seat at the table.

That might be acceptable for a country in the Arctic Circle miles from anywhere selling wood and fish but we are a 65 million population top ten global economy with diverse industry just 29 miles from Calais.

as I keep saying there's no need, that was decided in the referendum vote , , leave means leave not keeping one foot in the door and that 's what TM's plan incurs therefore she needs to be removed from office and we get out of the EU completely
regards
DR

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes, I mentioned the usual caveats Just posted it on here as many people seemed to be assuming there was widespread support for the deal. Saying that it shows there is little support for the draft deal when people are given options that are still theoretically possible and a clear majority believe the draft doesnt respect the referendum result. A Survation poll found similar resuts 27% said they supported it, 49% were opposed.

Yeah, I don't like it, I'm opposed to it as I want to remain, you're opposed because you want something a lot harder (I presume). So support for the deal is low - but that definitely does NOT mean that we are all on the Moggites side and want a harder exit. A majority of leavers may think it doesn't respect the referendum result, but I doubt that's the case amongst the remainers, and we make up half the population. If you force the 48% to choose a kind of leave, I bet the vast majority of us will choose the softest leave available.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
But again you are just another poster that seemed confidently resigned to the initial referendum, not a peep about the integrity of the vote when you expected to win, suddenly after the result you were already contemplating how we might Remain in the EU, so whilst you offer current reasons for a Peoples Vote as if this would be a personal credible aspiration, what exactly made you think it reasonable to hope for a way to overturn the result less than 24 hours after the first one ?

Hampster Gull

25th June 2018
# 10706

If an election is held before we exit or invoke our exit and a government is elected on a mandate to stay in the eu then, well, we will stay in the eu.

Yes, as I said before, if we have an election before we exit and a pro Eu party wins, great, we,stay.

However at the moment we have an exit government, but one that looks like it’s incapable of leading the party or the country and one incapable of getting its deal through Parliament, the democratic house of this country. If they can’t then they need to ask the people to judge.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

You are spot on, but the people who voted leave do not have any time or stomach for this reality, they or the Brextremists anyway just want to leave regardless of how difficult or indeed impossible their ideals are, sometimes people cannot get all they want so are prepared to compromise, not so these political extremists and their followers, my personal opinion is much like yours and although my preferred option would be to tear this up and remain I am prepared to accept this "deal" although it leaves us weaker in as much we obey rules and regulations of which we would have no say in their formulation, but stability for our immediate future is not too compromised, but then as stated I am a remainer, good luck to anybody trying to convince all the other side of the divide that this is acceptable, many moderates in both camps will, but is this enough to carry the day?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here