Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
First DD said its not legally binding, then he said it is, then the EU said it isn't and now the EU say it WILL BE

Comedy GOLD SPECIAL

There were smug Brexiteers on here yesterday morning clarifying the agreement status and defending Davis. :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looks like Davis's big mouth has got the EU concerned about trust

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...tent-summit-european-parliament-a8105126.html

The Brexit agreement struck by Theresa May last week must be turned into a legally binding treaty if the UK wants to progress to trade talks...
[tweet]940531473609830401[/tweet]

yep, good old EU moving the goal post after its pointed out what their own document is, or rather isn't. Davis should have kept quiet. but how can they, either the UK and EU pass into law something that states its an agreement in principle? the first 5 paragraphs are quite clear its subject to future change in the next phase of negotiation. so there will be some sham bill passed.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
24 hours after saying the agreement is not binding, David Davis now says it's 'more than legally enforceable.'

I wonder what it'll be tomorrow.

You seem to be struggling with a fairly simple concept.

The published agreement is not binding because, as has been repeatedly said by both sides, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed (which includes any financial commitments and the details of the trade deal).

Once everything is agreed, that will result in a legal and binding agreement (which will clearly be legally enforceable) which will incorporate some or all of the recently published discussions.

Without that final agreement, then the present document is meaningless and certainly not legally binding.

Not too tricky to grasp, is it?

As it's not too tricky for you to grasp, but appears to be for David Davis, what's the official position now today then? Is the present document still meaningless and certainly not legally binding? Or has 'certainly' now become 'probably'? Nothing has changed, nothing has changed etc?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
As it's not too tricky for you to grasp, but appears to be for David Davis, what's the official position now today then? Is the present document still meaningless and certainly not legally binding? Or has 'certainly' now become 'probably'? Nothing has changed, nothing has changed etc?

well, if there is now a call for the report to be translated into a piece of legislation, that indicates the current document is not legally binding. question is, can the EU force this. we've met the conditions they've set out, we all reached an agreement, and only because its been highlighted this isnt the final agreement and is a report on the progress as stipulated by the EU, they want to change the conditions. we've had calls for the UK government to honor the agreement, doesn't that stand for the EU too? are Remainers so enthralled with the EU that they dont have to hold to the same standards expected of the UK?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
i was refering to 5ways/Giraffe. if you want i can argue about your interpretation of the agreement, seems rather pointless as we wont agree.

though i do wonder how you read the phrases "Both Parties have reached agreement in principle", "nothing is agreed until it is agreed" and "This does not prejudge any adaptations that might be appropriate in case transitional arrangements were to be agreed in the second phase of the negotiations". to me they mean there's no current final agreement in place, your view may be different :shrug:

I think you're right that we won't agree. My view (and the EU, Ireland, the DUP, Theresa May and, i suspect that by then end of today David Davis as well) is that we believe them to be binding. Obviously your view is different :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
well, if there is now a call for the report to be translated into a piece of legislation, that indicates the current document is not legally binding. question is, can the EU force this. we've met the conditions they've set out, we all reached an agreement, and only because its been highlighted this isnt the final agreement and is a report on the progress as stipulated by the EU, they want to change the conditions. we've had calls for the UK government to honor the agreement, doesn't that stand for the EU too?

Basically you don't have a clue again, but that wont stop you blowing hot air either.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think you're right that we won't agree. My view (and the EU, Ireland, the DUP, Theresa May and, i suspect that by then end of today David Davis as well) believe them to be binding. Obviously your view is different :facepalm:

Yesterday a spokesman for the European Commission confirmed the deal is “formally speaking not legally binding”, and that it was merely an agreement “between gentlemen”.

And even Verhofstadt has accepted as much by saying that it needs to be "converted into legal text as soon as possible”, something which only has to be done because it isn’t binding in its current form.

All this pointless remoaner bickering is really tiresome... and a diversion from the fact they are rapidly losing any skin in the game.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Basically you don't have a clue again, but that wont stop you blowing hot air either.

so rather than discussion, we'll insult and shut down debate. :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Yesterday a spokesman for the European Commission confirmed the deal is “formally speaking not legally binding”, and that it was merely an agreement “between gentlemen”.

And even Verhofstadt has accepted as much by saying that it needs to be "converted into legal text as soon as possible”, something which only has to be done because it isn’t binding in its current form.

So what do you think is going to happen ? Halfway through trade negotiations, we are suddenly going to go "we had our fingers crossed all along - No money, we won't stick to your legislation and we're putting a border in somewhere"

5399805046_0d30e4dd70.jpg

This is getting more desperate by the Day :facepalm:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
All this pointless remoaner bickering is really tiresome... and a diversion from the fact they are rapidly losing any skin in the game.

i wouldnt go that far, as Mellotron points out they have the weight to just change the rules and impose another condition, they have lots of skin in the game as they hope for so many roadblocked that the process is abandoned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i wouldnt go that far, as Mellotron points out they have the weight to just change the rules and impose another condition, they have lots of skin in the game as they hope for so many roadblocked that the process is abandoned.

But you can walk away at any point. So what you have suggested is nonsense.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here