Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
What the hell does that mean?

A Brexiteer is someone who voted to leave - which is what I did. I'm not sure that there are degrees of Brexiteer.

Is this last bit a joke? Of course there are. Some are happy with May’s deal while others want no deal. How on earth can anyone think there are not degrees of brexiteer?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Is this last bit a joke? Of course there are. Some are happy with May’s deal while others want no deal. How on earth can anyone think there are not degrees of brexiteer?

Indeed there are numerous pov's on both sides also Gwylan thinks Corbyn's Labour party are just fluffy cuddly social democrats ... :lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Fair enough for new applicants as they know what they're getting into.
Those who have been here for 40 years were promised by the Leave campaign, it wouldn't affect them. They've had their rights removed by something they weren't allowed to vote in. Broken promises and lies sum up the leave campaign and that's without the dirty money & corruption.

Its not affecting them, all they have to do is show they have been here (and not making it up), pass the criminal test ( no one wants wrong uns staying, even maybe you) and they will get their status.
A Polish acquaintance of mine is crapping himself though, they want National Insurance number to check via HMRC and DWP that he has been continuously resident in the UK for 5 years, he has been here for about 8 years and has a national insurance number, problem is he has been working cash in hand all this time, painter decorator/ DIY and hasnt paid any tax into the system. He fully expects his free ride to be over.
Why has everyone wet the bed today, this information that EU citizens will need to sort out their status after we are no longer in the EU has been around for months.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, the usual suspects. Gwylan is as much a Brexiteer as Jeremy Corbyn is a fervent Remainer. There is nothing anyone could say or do to change the minds of remoaners who are amongst the most closed minded, prejudiced, bigoted people in the UK.

As the EU has agreed to this policy and reciprocated the arrangements I take it you view their treatment of UK citizens as shameful/far right?

So has your mind changed?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And I'll bet my house on the fact that you wouldn't reply as you really have no idea what you are asking for. That is why you will never explain what you think should happen with your 'no deal' solution :shrug:

Anything more than the two words 'no deal' and you are really out of your depth every single time.

why dont you explain what will happen with UK global trade and the WTO if we leave with a no deal scenario.
All you have done is moan that some countries have objected to our schedules.
Why dont you explain to the class what happens in this scenario...........i would be interested to hear what you think happens considering plenty of remoaners on twatter think trade has to come to a stop.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A Polish acquaintance of mine is crapping himself though, they want National Insurance number to check via HMRC and DWP that he has been continuously resident in the UK for 5 years, he has been here for about 8 years and has a national insurance number, problem is he has been working cash in hand all this time, painter decorator/ DIY and hasnt paid any tax into the system. He fully expects his free ride to be over.

Why would you not declare up to £11k, be on-grid and still not pay tax? I smell bullshit. You are a few things but I never had you down as a [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] liar.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So good to see this thread back with the usual suspects continuing their considered, balanced commentary :rolleyes::facepalm::shootself

To recap EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU will need to apply for settled status/permanent settled status by the end of the transition period (30 June 2021). Both sides agreed to this outcome ... characterizing this as a lurch to the 'far right' adding the Godwin's law overtones is quite frankly ridiculous.

i see a remoaner posted this as a reply to the home office

DvhO8hYX0AAvlz3.jpg

Some of them are beyond ridiculous, frankly some of them appear completely unhinged with drama levels that high over immigration controls

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why would you not declare up to £11k, be on-grid and still not pay tax? I smell bullshit. You are a few things but I never had you down as a [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] liar.

I have no idea what he earns, only that he is crapping himself over never having declared anything. He employs a few people so maybe they are all cash in hand too, no NI contributions etc etc.
Surprised you have never heard of the black economy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no idea what he earns, only that he is crapping himself over never having declared anything. He employs a few people so maybe they are all cash in hand too, no NI contributions etc etc.
Surprised you have never heard of the black economy.

Yes I have heard of the black economy but those types always put something through the books. 8 years, employs a few people, never put a penny through the books......bullshit.

Two Brexiteers are definite proven liars, you’re an “almost certain”

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes I have heard of the black economy but those types always put something through the books. 8 years, employs a few people, never put a penny through the books......bullshit.

Two Brexiteers are definite proven liars, you’re an “almost certain”

Some estimates have one million illegals here, living and working here fraudulently when they shouldnt be.........and you call bullshit because of one Polish bloke screwing the system
You really are desperate

larus

Interesting article from the Telegraph : Author is a civil servant currently working on Brexit preparations.

Every day there is some fresh claim in the press – backed up by people who should (and perhaps really do) know better – that we must accept whatever outrageous terms we are offered by an intransigent EU because we are not prepared for no deal and it would be a disaster. This line is pushed by Remainer Cabinet ministers trying to scare us into swallowing the Withdrawal Agreement, and their friends campaigning for a second referendum – the Work & Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd’s brother Roland prominent among them.

This is Project Fear Mark (I think) III, which claims that we will all “crash out” over the white cliffs of Dover into the Channel at 11pm on 29 March 2019 and wake up to certain chaos and doom.

If true, it would be a terrible indictment not only of this government but also of our civil service. And it is absolutely untrue, as anyone who, like me, has been involved in Brexit work for the past two-and-a-half years in Whitehall will tell you.

It is rather shocking that not only the Remainer media but even members of the Government are putting civil servants on the hook for their own political purposes, by implying that they have failed in their clear duty to prepare for eventualities. It may be true that certain civil servants are biased in favour of the EU. That is because continued EU membership means certainty, and civil servants love certainty. It makes planning one’s family commitments, work-life balance and daily commute a lot easier. Strong and stable. Dull and secure. Plodding and punctilious... The very opposite of challenging, new and rewarding.

But that very bias towards certainty and balance and horror of disorder makes civil servants highly conscious of their duty to keep both their school run and the country operating smoothly. They would not sit back and allow the British public to be threatened by economic paralysis. Nor have they. The frisson of horror evoked by such a prospect would shake the corridors of power from Westminster to Brussels. A disorderly no-deal Brexit on 29 March 2019 is not compatible with the principles of good government in which the civil service takes justified pride. It handles seismic change in much the same way as it handles a decision on the design of a new online form or whether to allow pot plants in the staff kitchen - in a very deliberate, considered, consultative manner.

So of course no-deal preparations have been made. Very detailed plans have been proposed, assessed, analysed to death and finally agreed by working groups and steering groups and directors’ boards and cross-Whitehall talking shops. They have then been sent to ministers for approval. And they are now being executed. To claim otherwise is to equate the United Kingdom with a tinpot dictatorship where officials tote machine guns and use dummies for target practice. And we would never allow that.

It is even more ridiculous that this claim of unpreparedness is still being parroted across the media and by MPs when some of the most crucial elements of no-deal planning have now been made public. In a very surreptitious way, of course. Almost as though the Government didn’t want even its own backbenchers to know...

While things were hotting up in the Commons over the Withdrawal Agreement the week before Parliament rose for Christmas, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs made important no-deal customs regulations and sent letters to businesses advising them on the new procedures for import and export from 29 March 2019, with links to guidance and even to application forms for grants to help with IT upgrades and staff training. Just-in-time importers are also being advised to now register as Trusted Traders, in order to benefit from simplified customs facilitation. Job advertisements for customs warehouse officers at an inland clearance site in Milton Keynes went live too. This is so that lorries can be diverted away from Channel ports for targeted checks.

The European Union and various member states have also announced bilateral arrangements for euro clearing and financial services, for visa-free tourist travel, and for aviation rights. The French have installed high-tech freight scanners at Calais to keep trade and tourism flowing. Open Skies agreements have been signed by the UK with our most important aviation partners, the USA and Canada. Further agreements are planned. And we have just agreed the transition of a trade agreement with Switzerland, which will allow businesses to carry on trading freely after our country leaves the European Union.

There are hundreds of such no-deal plans across all government departments just waiting for the green light from ministers to be made public. There are more bilateral “managed WTO” agreements on the horizon and a rapid acceleration of work in the civil service to deliver a no-deal Brexit.

An enormous effort by thousands of hard working civil servants has been made to ensure that if we leave the EU without a deal, “crashing out” over a “cliff-edge” is simply not going to be an option, and it is purely a political decision not to make this clear to the public and nervous backbench MPs.

But if the Government was to be frank with Parliament and the country, what justification would be left for its disastrous Withdrawal Agreement? What would Remainers do without a Project Fear? They would need to think up convincing positive arguments for staying in the EU, something that has so far proved beyond them.

The author is a serving civil servant engaged in preparing the UK for a Brexit on WTO rules after 29 March 2019.

However, I'm sure someone who was a supplier to the government in the past will know more than someone who is actively working on the detailed plans right now. :D

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
And I'll bet my house on the fact that you wouldn't reply as you really have no idea what you are asking for. That is why you will never explain what you think should happen with your 'no deal' solution :shrug:

Anything more than the two words 'no deal' and you are really out of your depth every single time.

Is that right? I've told you many times I knew what I voted for. It's just people like you that are finding it hard to take. Out of my depth? Not really. You see its the know all arrogant attitude of people like you that I'm enjoying seeing panic. Running around like a headless chicken.
There is nothing I need to explain to you .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some estimates have one million illegals here, living and working here fraudulently when they shouldnt be.........and you call bullshit because of one Polish bloke screwing the system
You really are desperate

:facepalm: “Illegals” , as you put it, have no option but to work 100% black even if they wanted to pay tax....as they will be unable to register. Your friend is not an illegal though.

I still smell bullshit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs made important no-deal customs regulations and sent letters to businesses advising them on the new procedures for import and export from 29 March 2019, with links to guidance and even to application forms for grants to help with IT upgrades and staff training.

Really? Not seen anything in my letter box, not seen anything in the press, cannot find the links on their website and have not heard one single other person say they have had such a letter.

It seems to be the season of Brexit bullshitting.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Really? Not seen anything in my letter box, not seen anything in the press, cannot find the links on their website and have not heard one single other person say they have had such a letter.

It seems to be the season of Brexit bullshitting.

It's just a pro 'managed no deal' article in The Daily Telegraph.With the Mail and Express changing, The Telegraph is sweeping up that market now. It's no different to when a Brexit backing Tory toff with a posh voice starts talking it up on the airwaves though - the pup gets sold to someone.

No deal, managed or not, is just an unsustainable, futile exercise in mutual damage limitation, that Ireland aside, will hurt The UK an awful lot more. '3 weeks maximum' is what I've read is being said in Paris and Berlin on how long we'd last. Even if we were to attempt to proceed with it head on, putting in jeopardy The GFA and everything else and move from being an international joke, to an international pariah, there's an utter plethora of legislation and swathes of laws required to go through parliament before April which isn't psychically possible to happen for one.

It shouldn't surprise me by now, but it still amazes me frankly though - a Brexit backing Tory toff with a posh voice says something and people still believe it, just like they did when they said 'German car manufacturers' 'invisible borders' 'they need us more than we need them' and all the rest of it. People are subliminally in awe of them I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here