Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I doubt you ordered gammon in Saudi Arabia.Arabs are a semitic people who find anything to do with pork offensive.

I have never been to Saudi Arabia.

You know that use of the name of food product is not anti-Semitic. You are clearly trying to deflect away from the fact that you have made a racist comment by referring to the French as 'frogs'.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
In the event of 'no deal' on 29th March we lose access to three lots of trading agreements -

We lose all trading arrangements with the EU 27 countries and these would revert to WTO default tariffs.

We also lose all other third-party trading arrangements that have been negotiated between the EU and other countries and trading blocs that we currently use and these would revert to WTO default tariffs .

We also lose all WTO schedules and quotas that have been negotiated by the EU with other countries and trading blocs which we currently use and these would revert to WTO default tariffs .

However, it is correct that we can use the WTO default Tariffs.

The EU schedules we currently use, have negotiated tariffs and quotas, which are used as a method of controlling volumes of trade (a quota at one tariff, and then anything over that quota at a second, normally higher tariff). There are no default WTO quotas with which to control volumes, only simple tariffs.

This means that not only will we be charging the highest possible tariffs on all imports, but the EU will start charging us tariffs on all goods exported to them and have no control over volumes.

Some WTO default tariffs (the breakdowns of the various product groups are huge and run to pages and pages, as you can imagine) but in summary

Cereals & Meat - 45-50%
Processed foods - 25%-35%
Clothes - 12%
Footwear - 10%
Vehicles - 9%

One small example - Currently 95% of our lamb exports go to the EU and these will be subject to a tariff of 50% from day 1.

This is why there is no country in the world that trades solely on WTO default tariffs. Mauritania were the last but has joined the Economic Community of West African States, and it now has preferential trade arrangements with some 20 WTO members (including, I believe the EU).

So anyone who says that there will be no change to trade is quite simply stupid or lying (or, quite possibly, both) :shrug:

Thanks for this. Really interesting piece and certainly adds a bit more meat to the bones. I presume there has been no detailed analysis on what a default to WTO rules would actually cost the UK economy?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You are doing a great job at educating Brexiteers on here, but they still are struggling to grasp this...

Oh we grasp it, just bored by it.

No one doubts there will be issues early on. The PM trying to appease the EU has seen to this.

But what Wattie 0 and other remainers can't do, is see beyond the first few months when we have our own deals in place.

The EU caters for the super rich. It bleeds individual countries dry. Why anyone normal people would want to stay in it is beyond me.

Give it a year or two, when everything is in place (which granted, should be in place now, which is why we should have said no deal on day one and spent the last two years negotiating our own deal, and allowing the EU to speak to us when they were ready), then the UK will be thriving, the EU will collapse in its own corrupt filth, maybe all you Remainer Drama Queens will finally admit you were wrong.

This will be like one of those Glen Murray threads when he first came back, when only a small percentage wanted him back, but now all hail him as the messiah!! It will be the same with the Brexit thread. All those who have spent the last few months of their lives arguing with made up names, will pretend they were in favour all the time..... bring on 29th March and no deal. It can't get here early enough! If nothing else to give some in this thread their lives back!!!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
In the event of 'no deal' on 29th March we lose access to three lots of trading agreements -

We lose all trading arrangements with the EU 27 countries and these would revert to WTO default tariffs.

We also lose all other third-party trading arrangements that have been negotiated between the EU and other countries and trading blocs that we currently use and these would revert to WTO default tariffs .

We also lose all WTO schedules and quotas that have been negotiated by the EU with other countries and trading blocs which we currently use and these would revert to WTO default tariffs .

However, it is correct that we can use the WTO default Tariffs.

The EU schedules we currently use, have negotiated tariffs and quotas, which are used as a method of controlling volumes of trade (a quota at one tariff, and then anything over that quota at a second, normally higher tariff). There are no default WTO quotas with which to control volumes, only simple tariffs.

This means that not only will we be charging the highest possible tariffs on all imports, but the EU will start charging us tariffs on all goods exported to them and have no control over volumes.

Some WTO default tariffs (the breakdowns of the various product groups are huge and run to pages and pages, as you can imagine) but in summary

Cereals & Meat - 45-50%
Processed foods - 25%-35%
Clothes - 12%
Footwear - 10%
Vehicles - 9%

One small example - Currently 95% of our lamb exports go to the EU and these will be subject to a tariff of 50% from day 1.

This is why there is no country in the world that trades solely on WTO default tariffs. Mauritania were the last but has joined the Economic Community of West African States, and it now has preferential trade arrangements with some 20 WTO members (including, I believe the EU).

So anyone who says that there will be no change to trade is quite simply stupid or lying (or, quite possibly, both) :shrug:

How far along are we with negotiations with the WTO??

How are we doing with the transition trade agreement?

Do you know?

Off course you dont.

Did you see the Swiss UK agreement coming before it was announced? https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ee-to-transition-trade-agreement-after-brexit

Off course you didn't.

Stop with the project fear. It's starting to look very very sad now.

YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN OR WHAT IS HAPPENING.

YOU LOST. Get over it and support your country.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018

Do you know?

Off course you dont.

Did you see the Swiss UK agreement coming before it was announced? https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ee-to-transition-trade-agreement-after-brexit

Off course you didn't.

Oh yes, 'You lost, get over it' ..... I knew there was one vacuous mantra missing from the set.... and of course there is the completely paradoxical - 'things will be great' juxtaposed with 'no one knows what will happen'. You couldn't make it up.....

Jan 30, 2008

Do you know?

Off course you dont.

Off course you didn't.

He's to wrapped up in his own self importance to do that ,Like most of the grizzlers they know best , so much so they can see years into the future and predict doom and gloom for eternity, you couldn't make it up...………... hold on they have been ,project fear
regards
DR

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Do you know?

Off course you dont.

Off course you didn't.

I'm afraid I do know exactly what is happening and getting a bit pissed off with being disturbed at half time :rolleyes:

The British negotiations with the WTO have been at a halt for the last month and a half due to Russia and 20 others objecting to the schedules we submitted. As I'm sure you're aware we can appeal to the Appellate Body, except for the fact that the USA have been objecting to appointing judges to this body for a while and there are now insufficient numbers to hear appeals. So no chance of a hearing before March 29th 2019 and probably not before 2021

The 'Transition trade agreement' is what and between whom exactly ?

I thought that a person such as yourself who 'owns a business with $1M imports a year' would be well on top of this and certainly wouldn't need any advice from me :shrug:

Oh well, back to the football - Up The Albion :albion2:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Oh yes, 'You lost, get over it' ..... I knew there was one vacuous mantra missing from the set.... and of course there is the completely paradoxical - 'things will be great' juxtaposed with 'no one knows what will happen'. You couldn't make it up.....

No you can't make it up, unlike all the crap Watford Zero blerts out daily.

Project Fear at its finest.

didntwin.jpg

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
and that's it in a nut shell , the establishment and the liberal elite getting a slap in the face, boo hoo, boo hoo it's not fair I live in London
regards
DR

Yeah, because nothing screams ‘anti establishment’ like Nigel Farage :facepalm:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm afraid I do know exactly what is happening and getting a bit pissed off with being disturbed at half time :rolleyes:

The British negotiations with the WTO have been at a halt for the last month and a half due to Russia and 20 others objecting to the schedules we submitted. As I'm sure you're aware we can appeal to the Appellate Body, except for the fact that the USA have been objecting to appointing judges to this body for a while and there are now insufficient numbers to hear appeals. So no chance of a hearing before March 29th 2019 and probably not before 2021

The 'Transition trade agreement' is what and between whom exactly ?

I thought that a person such as yourself who 'owns a business with $1M imports a year' would be well on top of this and certainly wouldn't need any advice from me :shrug:

Oh well, back to the football - Up The Albion :albion2:

So we make individual deals with countries we need to deal with.

The Swiss one came out of now where didn't it? Doesn't seem a lot of effort was needed to put something temporary in place. What stops us importing and exporting everything via Switzerland? After all business can declare and pay taxes in the likes of Luxemberg and Ireland if they can afford to. So I am sure they will find a loop hole somewhere.

One small example - Currently 95% of our lamb exports go to the EU and these will be subject to a tariff of 50% from day 1. The other week you were going on about much more our New Zealand Lamb will cost.................. Maybe we could save a lot of "Tariffs" by stopping unnecessary imports/exports. Keep the tree huggers happy as well.

ohthedrama.gif

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm afraid I do know exactly what is happening
In that case can you give us a heads up on any new agreements like the Swiss deal? As you know exactly what is happening, I am a bit disappointed you didn't announce that was going to happen on here, before it did happe (GO ON THE DUFFY!!)

ohthedrama.gif

Jan 30, 2008
The threat is popularism, the rise of nationalism and the xenophobia is notoriously brings with it. Farage is in no way ‘anti-establishment’. If you think he is, you are either woefully ignorant or just incredibly naive.

I never mentioned him ?, maybe people have had enough of the current trends in politics, no surprise people are making moves in certain quarters , surprised by that ??? the EU are, they'll 'probably be looking down the barrel of a gun in the future as it all falls apart at the seams for them
so glad we will be out of it to be fair, common agricultural policy to EU dictatorship what's no to like ?
regards
DR

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I never mentioned him ?, maybe people have had enough of the current trends in politics, no surprise people are making moves in certain quarters , surprised by that ??? the EU are, they'll 'probably be looking down the barrel of a gun in the future as it all falls apart at the seams for them
so glad we will be out of it to be fair, common agricultural policy to EU dictatorship what's no to like ?
regards
DR

You didn’t mention him, no. You did however mention the establishment as if the vote to leave was somehow a big middle finger to them even though the poster child for Brexit was the aforementioned Farage, someone who isn’t anti-establishment in anyway shape or form.

Jan 30, 2008
You didn’t mention him, no. You did however mention the establishment as if the vote to leave was somehow a big middle finger to them even though the poster child for Brexit was the aforementioned Farage, someone who isn’t anti-establishment in anyway shape or form.
of course it was a finger up to them, also i'm not bothered with your views on Farage only to say he knows how to ruffle a few feathers and tells it how it is, fair play to the man
here's one of his finest moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJzRa7HWVqs
regards
DR

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He tells it how it is... :facepalm: Jesus wept if you think how Farage tells it is ‘how it is’

Was that the speech where Farage said to the chairperson they’d never done a proper days work in their life....and he was a former heart-surgeon or something ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here