Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Telling lies is what she does.

[tweet]1068080900037099522[/tweet]

She just thinks FOM only works one way. The reality is it the biggest loss of rights for Britons in well over a century. It end dreams for many, whether its an 18 year old studying a degree in Germany or older people wanting to live in Spain and enjoy reciprocal health benefits. May just doesn’t get it and is obsessed with immigration, she is underneath it all a bit of a xenophobe

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It’s ok, Leadson, one of the Brextremists, has put her weight behind the pms deal. Happy to see the breakup of the U.K. . And EU jurisdiction for many years to come. Colours starting to be shown

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It’s ok, Leadson, one of the Brextremists, has put her weight behind the pms deal. Happy to see the breakup of the U.K. . And EU jurisdiction for many years to come. Colours starting to be shown

What happened to her tea, jam and biscuits Brexit? Fruitcake?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've said it many times. Have a look.

You have indeed

You say 'no deal'.

I ask what would you do about all the things you would need to do to implement your fantasy

The negotiation of our new schedules and quotas with the WTO
The NI/Ireland Border
The New customs posts
The new Lorry Parks at all ports
The design, building and testing of the new IT systems to run the WTO tariffs and rules
The recruitment and training of the new staff to run the new systems/rules etc

And you say 'I don't know' or you run away, and expect someone else to clear up the shit you've left behind.

Well you are certainly following your leadership of Nige, Boris and JRM to the letter :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, May says there can be no compromise with Labour because "they are not acting in the national interest, they are putting their narrow party interest first." That's rich coming from a PM who has not put the interest of a small sub-section of her party above national interest. It's rich coming from a PM who chose not to involve any other party, in the slightest way, in the Brexit negotiations. And it's rich coming from a PM who has totally ignored the efforts of Labour politicians to work with May's fellow Tories to find a way out of the mess (see Boles and Kinnock's plans for an EFTA compromise, for example).

I sometimes wonder how May has the gall to face the public given the amount of lying that she comes out with.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey, May says there can be no compromise with Labour because "they are not acting in the national interest, they are putting their narrow party interest first." That's rich coming from a PM who has not put the interest of a small sub-section of her party above national interest. It's rich coming from a PM who chose not to involve any other party, in the slightest way, in the Brexit negotiations. And it's rich coming from a PM who has totally ignored the efforts of Labour politicians to work with May's fellow Tories to find a way out of the mess (see Boles and Kinnock's plans for an EFTA compromise, for example).

I sometimes wonder how May has the gall to face the public given the amount of lying that she comes out with.

Agree. And it’s a shame no one in the Labour Party, or the electorate for that matter, is really holding her to account over this. She’s does it because she can get away with it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Cooper would make an excellent Labour party leader.

100% this.

Labour would win a GE with a massive majority if she were leader.

Unfortunately it's not going to happen anytime soon - the 20 somethings, who, desperate to remain in the EU, saw to that and elected a Brexiter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
100% this.

Labour would win a GE with a massive majority if she were leader.

That ignores the fact that Labour under Miliband (someone closer to her political views) suffered a heavier defeat in 2015 than Labour did under Corbyn. When there was an opinion poll asking whether Labour would be better under another leader, she finished way behind Ed M (and slightly behind David M).

You need to look at the demographics. Where has Labour lost ground? Scotland, where it's seen as not left-wing enough (saw one commentator dismiss Corbyn as another 'red Tory' yesterday) - Cooper's not going to pull any votes back there. Leave-voting North - remainer Cooper is not going to pull votes back there. Middle England? Yes, maybe she would pull votes back there but, 1997 apart, it's not been fertile Labour territory, not sure how many seats that would bring - certainly not a massive majority.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I've said it many times. Have a look.

So no deal? Have you thought that through? Talk everybody throught that. What are the advantages? What are the pitfalls?
If you want the country to suffer to help you emotionally, then I consider you a ****.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
That ignores the fact that Labour under Miliband (someone closer to her political views) suffered a heavier defeat in 2015 than Labour did under Corbyn. When there was an opinion poll asking whether Labour would be better under another leader, she finished way behind Ed M (and slightly behind David M).

You need to look at the demographics. Where has Labour lost ground? Scotland, where it's seen as not left-wing enough (saw one commentator dismiss Corbyn as another 'red Tory' yesterday) - Cooper's not going to pull any votes back there. Leave-voting North - remainer Cooper is not going to pull votes back there. Middle England? Yes, maybe she would pull votes back there but, 1997 apart, it's not been fertile Labour territory, not sure how many seats that would bring - certainly not a massive majority.

I take your point regarding Scotland, but IMO for Labour to win an election they need a centerist, someone who can win over middle England like Blair did.

Whilst Cooper's politics may be close to Milliband, she is a FAR more capable Politician than him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whilst Cooper's politics may be close to Milliband, she is a FAR more capable Politician than him.

I completely disagree on that. She finished a poor third in the 2015 leadership election.

Ed M won a leadership election where everything was stacked against him, just about the entire Labour leadership was backing his brother (as were most of the press). Anyone who can win against the odds like that is a very capable politician indeed.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I completely disagree on that. She finished a poor third in the 2015 leadership election.

Ed M won a leadership election where everything was stacked against him, just about the entire Labour leadership was backing his brother (as were most of the press). Anyone who can win against the odds like that is a very capable politician indeed.

We'll just have to disagree on that.

Ed M was elected by the Unions - his brother was far too right wing for them - shame as he too would have made a good Labour leader IMO.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Unite and GMB and their mailshot for him, alongside the leadership ballot papers posted out to members, helped his cause considerably though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

:lolol: Ed won because unions wanted a someone they could manipulate, not due to political prowess.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Not sure about that Gwylan, in my opinion every labour leader since Blair has left the party in a worse position than when they took over, I remember how Corbyns Labour reacted after the referendum vote, resignations were flying in like Christmas cards and he looked and acted like a broken man. How he survived I don't know! I almost felt sorry for him. I had voted Labour all my life but felt then that I could not vote for his Very left wing policies and his stance on The EU and in the last General election I voted tactically to remove my local MP by voting for the first and probably only time, Liberal, this was a successful tactic as the Tory here lost. The problem is for me, I want a centrist Government with EU leanings and there is no real party for me and my views with any hope of winning the next General election. What a mess.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We'll just have to disagree on that.

Ed M was elected by the Unions - his brother was far too right wing for them - shame as he too would have made a good Labour leader IMO.

Unite and GMB and their mailshot for him, alongside the leadership ballot papers posted out to members, helped his cause considerably though.

So, Ed recognised the importance of a third of the electorate that David didn't - sounds like the mark of a good politician to me,

It's not just the union vote. There was a report from (I think) Raphael Behr in the Observer a few months after Ed won. It was at the Labour conference and he said that David spent most of the time closeted with his close colleagues while Ed worked the room, talking to delegate after delegate: the result of this was that he got much higher results among MPs and members that he might have expected. To win that leadership election was a formidable bit of campaigning - not something to be lightly dismissed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here