Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let’s say hello to Heidi.....:wave:

Attachments

• 57879EC4-37A0-4404-B402-1568F54DDAAD.jpeg
    57879EC4-37A0-4404-B402-1568F54DDAAD.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 228

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Is Brexit not the ultimate example of proof that MP's and Governments do not give a single toss about the people they are supposed to be governing for.
Two fingers to everybody in persuit of their own ideals.
No matter which way you voted they have and will make a total cock up of the whole thing whilst climbing over each other rather than getting together and doing the right thing for the country.
It was and won't work when you have a front bench of remainers, they will as usual spin, lie and bribe to get what they want.
I just wish people were able to see it rather than get so stressed, angry, rude and nasty enough to put 4000 posts on a football website.
How anyone can back these people and stick up for them as if they are members of your family when they are so obviously flicking you the V's is beyond me.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Is Brexit not the ultimate example of proof that MP's and Governments do not give a single toss about the people they are supposed to be governing for.
No matter which way you voted they have and will make a total cock up of the whole thing whilst climbing over each other rather than getting together and doing the right thing for the country.
It was and won't work when you have a front bench of remainers, they will as usual spin, lie and bribe to get what they want.
I just wish people were able to see it rather than get so stressed, angry, rude and nasty enough to put 4000 posts on a football website.
How anyone can back these people and stick up for them as if they are members of your family when they are so obviously flicking you the V's is beyond me.

Parliament does what its there for...yet.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm not normally one to defend politicians but they have done exactly what the electorate told them to do :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So what do you think of last week's decision to have no borders and abide by all EU regulations giving up every concession that had been negotiated by British governments of all political hues in the last 45 years?

I think you're prematurely over simplifying what's been said and provisionally agreed. If what you say ends up being true then yes, I'll be very unhappy but so will millions of others. It will probably mean the decimation of the Tory party - I'd never vote for them again ( not that I did at the last two elections ). I also suspect you'd see the emergence of an anti-EU party .... possibly a revitalised UKIP or a new broader one.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I know it's hardly a big deal in the greater scheme of things, but I've noticed how polite and patient EU officials and other European politicians are when it comes to dealing with the UK. Doubtless our Brexiteer friends will come up with some counter examples or weave it into a bigger conspiratorial narrative, but when you think - on a simple level - of just how much we at messing them around, I think this is rather civilised - and reminds us that ( lightbulb moment) these are (or were) our friends. I do hope our chaps send their chaps a Xmas card.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I know it's hardly a big deal in the greater scheme of things, but I've noticed how polite and patient EU officials and other European politicians are when it comes to dealing with the UK. Doubtless our Brexiteer friends will come up with some counter examples or weave it into a bigger conspiratorial narrative, but when you think - on a simple level - of just how much we at messing them around, I think this is rather civilised - and reminds us that ( lightbulb moment) these are (or were) our friends. I do hope our chaps send their chaps a Xmas card.

I agree. Some of that nicety is born out of pity for her though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think you're prematurely over simplifying what's been said and provisionally agreed. If what you say ends up being true then yes, I'll be very unhappy but so will millions of others. It will probably mean the decimation of the Tory party - I'd never vote for them again ( not that I did at the last two elections ). I also suspect you'd see the emergence of an anti-EU party .... possibly a revitalised UKIP or a new broader one.
It's just the fall back agreed if there is no further deal.

Whatever is agreed in the main trade and future deal can still override it, but it is tricky to speculate on that this far out really.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's just the fall back agreed if there is no further deal.

Whatever is agreed in the main trade and future deal can still override it, but it is tricky to speculate on that this far out really.

Do you really think the EU will allow us to back track on the borders and alignment when we get into trade talks ? I would have thought that all further trade talks would be based on this first phase agreement.

Having said that, what was the choice anyway ? Borders between NI and Ireland or between Britain and NI. I've never been able to see how either would work.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Do you really think the EU will allow us to back track on the borders and alignment when we get into trade talks ? I would have thought that all further trade talks would be based on this first phase agreement.

Having said that, what was the choice anyway ? Borders between NI and Ireland or between Britain and NI. I've never been able to see how either would work.

I think pretty much everyone recognises that the Phase 1 stuff (including the Irish border) was a fudge masquerading as a triumph. But you are right: if we do backtrack then the EU would be perfectly within its rights to scupper any subsequent trade deal. It's still all to play for in the 2nd half.........................

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No. I don't believe they would although that is not my point. My point is simply that the future deal can over ride what we already have agreed ( which is an agreement on the 'crash out with no deal' future ).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I really can't see anything beyond the three options

1/ Soft Brexit with No borders and regulatory alignment

2/ No agreement and WTO

3/ Withdraw article 50

Shirley, any negotiation now will only be minor fine-tuning on one of the above

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
What do we all think Brexit will look like finally.

I think we will still be in the single market and the customs union and paying for the privilege. I don't mind this, as whilst like @Buzzer I don't favour the federalist EU, I do appreciate single market access. This will mean free movement of labour although I would expect us to use the already in place rules for tightening it up.

Out but in the softest manner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm intrigued how you came to this conclusion ? Not seen any commentator from either side suggest this.

Given that MPs will now have a vote on the final deal, or no deal, this is surely obvious? Ie no deal will not get through Parliament.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really can't see anything beyond the three options

1/ Soft Brexit with No borders and regulatory alignment

2/ No agreement and WTO

3/ Withdraw article 50

Shirley, any negotiation now will only be minor fine-tuning on one of the above
2/ can now only happen if we break our phase 1 agreement ? ???

Which would mean no future trade deal ever with the EU wouldn't it ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think we will still be in the single market and the customs union and paying for the privilege. I don't mind this, as whilst like @Buzzer I don't favour the federalist EU, I do appreciate single market access. This will mean free movement of labour although I would expect us to use the already in place rules for tightening it up.

It’s going to be pretty soft and will be something along the lines of Norway.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I suspect we'll end up with EFTA membership and a Switzerland-like deal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
2/ can now only happen if we break our phase 1 agreement ? ???

Which would mean no future trade deal ever with the EU wouldn't it ?

Well we can walk away at any time. I don't know about long term, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EU have said that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here