Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The non-EU immigration number at the time of the referendum was greater than EU immigration.

What's the biggest deception is we could easily have taken back control of our borders already under European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC. Other EU countries use it but not ours.

Maybe we should go for the Australian points system, working well with their immigration rate higher than ours without being an EU member

I believe most leavers would welcome the Australian points system. Also being able to support yourself for 6 months without relying on the state from day one. I'd much prefer we assist the ex services with homes etc rather than them ending up on the street.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I am a Patriot, I believe in British values such as fair play, openness and tolerance for those of differing beliefs. I am particularly proud of our ability to adopt foreign culture into British culture and make it our own.
It is what hurts the most about Brexit, it revealed a selfish, intolerant and xenophobic streak in us.

Indeed, shame on them. You will have someone on here rolling out the usual brexit line that you are not supporting the democratic will of the majority being enacted after the largest democratic vote in our country's history :bla::bla:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I believe most leavers would welcome the Australian points system. Also being able to support yourself for 6 months without relying on the state from day one. I'd much prefer we assist the ex services with homes etc rather than them ending up on the street.

Do you really think many EU migrants come over to go on benefits?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Try opening your eyes you'll be amazed. Be interesting for the government to give out figures for this and social housing but I'm sure it would be too damning. Put it this way try it in Australia they would put you straight back on the boat

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Well the Dutch minister has already said this post referendum and it was widely reported, did you honestly not know, yet you have been a main antagonist on this thread and you cannot recall this damning verdict from one of the main EU players.

https://news.sky.com/story/benefits-to-blame-for-brexit-dutch-minister-10324606

Bert Koenders

The Dutch foreign minister has told Sky News that Britain's benefits system is partly to blame for the defeat and departure of David Cameron because it attracts migrants to the UK.

He told Sky's Lisa Holland: "You have relatively low wages and at the same time immediately people get a lot of benefits.

"That attracts a lot of migration. It has nothing to do with Europe. It has to do with your domestic rules and regulations.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well the Dutch minister has already said this post referendum and it was widely reported, did you honestly not know, yet you have been a main antagonist on this thread and you cannot recall this damning verdict from one of the main EU players.

Bert Koenders

The Dutch foreign minister has told Sky News that Britain's benefits system is partly to blame for the defeat and departure of David Cameron because it attracts migrants to the UK.

He told Sky's Lisa Holland: "You have relatively low wages and at the same time immediately people get a lot of benefits.

"That attracts a lot of migration. It has nothing to do with Europe. It has to do with your domestic rules and regulations.

Blimey so you are telling me that Brexit is the fault of the Tories, not Europe

I thought the EU was the cause of all our ills

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The non-EU immigration number at the time of the referendum was greater than EU immigration.

What's the biggest deception is we could easily have taken back control of our borders already under European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC. Other EU countries use it but not ours.

Maybe we should go for the Australian points system, working well with their immigration rate higher than ours without being an EU member

Speaking of (Guardian sourced?) deception a directive that only applies in specific circumstances and used to repatriate thousands. There are 3.7 million EU citizens here, 2.4 million employed .. how many could we have stopped/removed? How much cost involved in monitoring all these people and repatriating them where appropriate not including the inevitable sob stories/legal challenges .... 'easily taken back control' my arse.

Err it's higher because they have set the points system level to encourage a certain level of immigration.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Around 50 Labour MPs have just rebelled against Jeremy Corbyn to vote with Libs/SNP to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union - that's more than a fifth of the PLP.

Blimey.....Labour Party tearing itself apart now.

These are interesting times.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Around 50 Labour MPs have just rebelled against Jeremy Corbyn to vote with Libs/SNP to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union - that's more than a fifth of the PLP.

On its way to the Lords, expect the bill to get kicked back a few times

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Momentum jackboot boys will be put to good use now then

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Bert Koenders

I think Macron said something similar about Calais - illegal immigrants attracted by UK benefits system.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is a Brexit issue when folk blame freedom of movement for low wages.

Even the Leader of the Britain Stronger in Europe campaign admitted as much.

He might be campaigning to keep Britain in the European Union, but Lord Rose might have inadvertently scored an own goal when he admitted yesterday that a Brexit would result in higher wages for domestic workers.

The former head of Marks & Spencer, who is leading the Britain Stronger in Europe campaign, told MPs yesterday that if the country quit the trading bloc then "the price of labour will, frankly, go up".

http://www.cityam.com/235892/eu-ref...-with-andrew-tyries-treasury-select-committee

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What a prize plumb you are. So embittered by losing you then tar everybody with the same brush to make yourself feel better. It doesn't make you look good. Get over it.

Mate, please read it carefully, I said the victory depended on an element of racists, Pastafarian seems to suggest that all paedos voted remain, as daft as that is, I don't consider that he is calling me a paedo. It was not aimed at you, or even the majority of leave voters.
It does not make me feel better at all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fair play as in supporting the democratic will of the majority being enacted after the largest democratic vote in our country's history? Haven't noticed much openness and tolerance of differing beliefs re Leave voters.

I tolerate the polite ones. I am all for democracy, I do not want the result undemocratically reversed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
NO !, people were shouted down for those concern's as being racist but the fact's were no one seemed to being doing jack shit to stop it happening , the moment it was brought to light mainstream some people felt less intimidated in airing their views much to the surprise of a lot of do gooders, if you thought that people were prepared to let that happen long term you're a bigger fool than I thought
regards
DR

I was very surprised to find the amount of racist attitudes still existing. You did not surprise me as being a leave voter though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here