Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think that's part of the issue for the whole debate. It's not simplistic. I think it's good for politics if it makes us think really deeply about the issues and argue them through.

Unfortunately, and I'm definitely guilty as charged, the most vocal ones are most set in their minds which way they will vote. I'm long past the point of being persuaded that Remain is good for the UK and just cannot get my head around why others can't see this. I'm sure HT, 5ways et al think the same way and so the debate becomes a war of attrition.

The only area of the debate where I've changed my mind after reading stuff on here is on the matter of security. I think it might have been you who posted the links about the police being firmly in favour of Remain and so I tried to find a senior policeman who supported Brexit. I couldn't find a single one, current or retired but there was an article on a Brexit group website stating that the Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation had written that Brexit would not cause significant risks. I checked and he had written nothing of the sort and is a very vocal Remain voter. The security concerns notwithstanding, I still believe that a Brexit result would be the best result by far.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yes. You have suggested that I have said all of the leave camp have failed to grasp the issue when my response was aimed at one poster for one view that he/she expressed. You've therefore misrepresented my post. I assume you can admit that?

No because I find those that want to remain continually do this to those arguing leave whether it be addressed to one poster or not. I am not going to agree with you at all.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Time for us adults to take control of this debate.Having received the Prime Minister's communication on the matter at hand,and contemplated it for some while,I decided the best place for it was in my library in case of a visit by Inners. toilet paper.jpg

Sent from my outside toilet using sarcasm

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You are incorrect sir... Firstly the 28 commissioners have all been voted in by the executive with the approval by the president. They are ratified by the Parliament, but only after swearing allegiance to the EU over their individual nations interests...so the commissioners are chosen by the other commissioners.... not proposed by the 28 member nations.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Unfortunately, and I'm definitely guilty as charged, the most vocal ones are most set in their minds which way they will vote. I'm long past the point of being persuaded that Remain is good for the UK and just cannot get my head around why others can't see this. I'm sure HT, 5ways et al think the same way and so the debate becomes a war of attrition.

The only area of the debate where I've changed my mind after reading stuff on here is on the matter of security. I think it might have been you who posted the links about the police being firmly in favour of Remain and so I tried to find a senior policeman who supported Brexit. I couldn't find a single one, current or retired but there was an article on a Brexit group website stating that the Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation had written that Brexit would not cause significant risks. I checked and he had written nothing of the sort and is a very vocal Remain voter. The security concerns notwithstanding, I still believe that a Brexit result would be the best result by far.

Not me that posted that, but I'd be interested in reading that.

I do agree that it's in danger of just becoming attritional. I'm voting to remain, but I know the EU needs reform. I just can't see how we will be better off outside of the EU.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It works exactly the same as it did when I lived in the UK albeit I post my ballot paper instead of turn up at Hove Town Hall. I can also vote in local elections here.
I didn't know that. .. do you maintain a UK address for voting purposes?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Security is another point I do not get?

Why would it change? Intelligence agencies will still work together, its not like we're leaving to join the Soviet Union.

Our Euro ''partner'' Spain still make life difficult for those entering/exiting Gibraltar, and the rest seem to go quiet when the Argies have another sabre rattle.

Great mates ey?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
No it is not. The EU is not about a shared currency. If you think that then you have not grasped the issue properly. We are talking about an economy that is in all our interests.

Yes our economy does all right on its own thank you very much. Which is largely down to the fact that we are not part of the Euro.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
If by "you" you mean the electorate of the EU then you choose each country's government and they choose the commissioners. If you don't like the way that your country chooses your commissioner feel free to agitate to change it, because it's purely up to your country's government as to how they select their member.

Separately, the MEPs that you voted for can remove the entire commission if they so desire.
I think that is the beef about voting a MEP...you can vote your MEP out,but you cannot vote another countries MEP out no matter how bad he is.We have put forward 72 amendments to EU regulations and have not won one of them.
It's a corrupt institution...can any Inner give me a reason why we change EU parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg every few months at a cost of over £180m a year ? Thought not...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Is it not true that our trade with the EU is decreasing whilst the trade with the Rest of the World is increasing?

Also, taking away Germany. France, and possibly a couple of the other Western European countries, of what benefit are the rest to Britain?

If Latvia, Romania and say Slovenia left the EU, what effect would it have on us? ???

**** all.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think that is the beef about voting a MEP...you can vote your MEP out,but you cannot vote another countries MEP out no matter how bad he is.We have put forward 72 amendments to EU regulations and have not won one of them.
It's a corrupt institution...can any Inner give me a reason why we change EU parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg every few months at a cost of over £180m a year ? Thought not...

Its FIFA for Euro politicians.

Luckily its only football that FIFA can **** up, the EU though..........

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I think that is the beef about voting a MEP...you can vote your MEP out,but you cannot vote another countries MEP out no matter how bad he is.

This doesn't make the system undemocratic (and again, is analogous to MPs outside of your constituency).

We have put forward 72 amendments to EU regulations and have not won one of them.

And if "we" (whoever "we" are) put forward an amendment that had more popular support we might have a better chance of having it pass. Democracy and all that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not me that posted that, but I'd be interested in reading that.

The original post on here

The claim by a Brexit group (about halfway down)

What he actually said

I'm voting to remain, but I know the EU needs reform. I just can't see how we will be better off outside of the EU.

I can't see how the EU will reform, who will reform it or when. It just seems impervious to criticism and I am extremely worried that if we vote to Remain that the EU mandarins will claim this is a massive endorsement for further control over us.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
This doesn't make the system undemocratic (and again, is analogous to MPs outside of your constituency).

And if "we" (whoever "we" are) put forward an amendment that had more popular support we might have a better chance of having it pass. Democracy and all that.

Blatter missed his calling, he's perfect for the EU.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I've always been in the OUT camp,but just right now i am hovering about staying IN,don't know why but just need to make sure we make the right decision...will probably vote OUT when cornered.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've always been in the OUT camp,but just right now i am hovering about staying IN,don't know why but just need to make sure we make the right decision...will probably vote OUT when cornered.

The Jocks had this chance, but at the last minute stayed with what they knew, best not take a risk................. some are regretting it now.

They'll get another vote.

Will we? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here