Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The EU has already sold us down the river, that's why we have no control over our borders, that's why we pay the EU millions a day and they keep coming for more.

Simplistic and emotional response that is of no use to anyone. It is far more layered than that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree. The money men never lose. In or out, they will look after themselves. I'm more interested in the impact this will have on the wider public. Leave the rich to themselves, they'll do alright. Let's not make things harder on ourselves though.

I agree.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Purely from a selfish short-termist point of view:

- I want to be able to work anywhere in the EU, there are some amazing cities and countries that I would like to spend extended periods of time in.
- I don't want my savings to be devalued compared to other currencies as the £ will inevitably drop significantly in the event of a brexit.
- I don't want to stand in the incredibly long 'rest of world' passport queues at European airports.

I'm willing to pay the £138 a year for the privileges of that membership.

The EU institution clearly has problems but you need strong leaders in that organisation to reform it, not hand more economic and political power to the other large EU nations.
I understand that,but surely Britain as a whole is far more bigger than thinking of your finances in the short term?
I'd happily lose my job to safeguard this country from the pillocks in Brussels who will eventually destroy this country in the future if we stay in.
Time that people put the country first rather than their own selfish reasons to stay in.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm astonished that people who want in actually think the European Union is a good thing and the futures bright...look around Europe and you'll see what the EU has done to once great countries.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not sure I'd have my vote swayed by a bloke who claimed expenses on his main residence aka his cottage in Gascony.

But you're happy to be swayed by a Parliament that allows MEPs to claim up to £120,000 without proof of expenditure, spends 27% of its budget on MP expenses but refuses to disclose how the expenses claimed (OUR money) are spent even under legal threats* and an organisation who operate an accounting system that is not a double-entry system - almost unique across the world and thus making proper auditing impossible so their accounts are never signed off as 'fair and true'.

We can play this game all day of accusation and counter-accusation but please do not be under any illusion that any one side has the moral high ground here.

*http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-parliament-sued-not-disclosing-expenses-transparency/

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes there are plenty because America also is the world's second largest economy, making up nearly a 1/5th of global GDP and an internal market of 300 million people. This is translated into trade deals which benefit multinational companies. A great place to HQ a business.

The EU is collectively the world's largest economy making up over a 1/5th of global GDP and has an international market of 500 million people. This is translated into trade deals, existing and being negotiated, that benefit multinational companies. A great place to HQ a business.

The UK is 3% of global GDP and has an internal market of 60 million people. Following Brexit we no longer have any trade deals, all of them have to be renegotiated - taking years. Moreover all our business legislation must be written. This is a terrible place to set up an HQ because we have not-so-cleverly decided to decimate our access and leverage within the world's largest economy and largest market.

This puts it rather well. You have not used the word stupidity though.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I understand that,but surely Britain as a whole is far more bigger than thinking of your finances in the short term?
I'd happily lose my job to safeguard this country from the pillocks in Brussels who will eventually destroy this country in the future if we stay in.
Time that people put the country first rather than their own selfish reasons to stay in.

Do you not think that maybe that is a slight exaggeration? Who is to say the pillocks in charge in this country won't drive the country into the ground? Then who is there to help? Nobody.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I shall be voting in. None of the out arguments have convinced me to do otherwise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This puts it rather well. You have not used the word stupidity though.

5ways has summed it up well with that post. Economically the UK will sink. Boris and IDS might not give a shit, but I'm not prepared to let this happen.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Do you not think that maybe that is a slight exaggeration? Who is to say the pillocks in charge in this country won't drive the country into the ground? Then who is there to help? Nobody.

The big difference though is if the pillocks in this country start we can vote them out. You wont be able to do that in the EU will you?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
At least we can vote our own pillocks out.... you cannot vote out the unelected EU commission. .....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here