Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Irish_Seagull

Mar 25, 2014
I find it amusing when two Brits are arguing about whether the elected wealthy Brits or wealthy unelected people should run their country

if all else fails they just lob in a word they don't like to avoid having to properly..... [/QOUTE]

Using a straw man tactic is the norm in British politics.

Im surprised those voting for independence have not been called racist.

You can find "experts" that will support anything.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
"Can we take back control of our borders and our money and our system of government? Yes we can.

Can we stand on our own two feet? Yes we can.

Can we build a new and prosperous relationship with the rest of the EU, based on free trade and intergovernmental cooperation? Yes we can.

Can we speak up for the hundreds of millions around the continent who also feel estranged from the Brussels project? Can we once again be the champions of democracy? Yes we can."

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I find it amusing when two Brits are arguing about whether the elected wealthy Brits or wealthy unelected people should run their country

if all else fails they just lob in a word they don't like to avoid having to properly..... [/QOUTE]

Using a straw man tactic is the norm in British politics.

Im surprised those voting for independence have not been called racist.

You can find "experts" that will support anything.

I can't seem to find any experts who support Brexit ???

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

I can't seem to find any experts who support Brexit ???

This! Paddy Pants Down made the point very well amongst what appeared to be a largely UKIP audience on QT last night. I also thought that his point about the national debt was an eye opener. If the credit rating falls or not even that, just the interest on it is only shifted by 0.05% (very likely) the whole net cost of being in the EU is swallowed up and wiped out day after day.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The hyprocrisy of it. If the Remain camp want so much to be in then it has to be all the way.

This argument is such absolute nonsense - and has been covered about 4 times in this thread. Hark back to an old (separate) debate, point out that some of the Remain camp once wanted to join the Euro, and claim that's evidence we should leave.

They're separate debates, and the leaders of the Remain camp (our own Prime Minister & Chancellor) never supported joining the Euro.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I can see why Putin might want us out of the formidable EU as it will be weakened to such an extent it could give him a free hand to annex parts of neighbouring countries and interfere militarily in their affairs .... :rolleyes:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Vladimir Putin supports it. I'm sure he must be an expert at something or other.

Are you sure?

How much is he getting from the ESA to fly Tim Peake in to space.

The ESA's biggest contributor is the EU, followed by the other EU national states......which is double bubble for taxpayers in light of how the EU gets its money.

I'm sure all the dairy farmers in Europe are happy with the squillions of euros paid to Russia for space exploration when their businesses are going teets up as they can't export east due to sanctions.

How they must laugh?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I can see why Putin might want us out of the formidable EU as it will be weakened to such an extent it could give him a free hand to annex parts of neighbouring countries and interfere militarily in their affairs .... :rolleyes:

Yep. Which is why the Baltic states are so staunchly EU. Let's see if Putin tries this in Estonia, or Lithuania. He won't because they're in the club. One of the great successes of the EU has been to absorb - and protect - post-soviet states and put them on a democratic path.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Yep. Which is why the Baltic states are so staunchly EU. Let's see if Putin tries this in Estonia, or Lithuania. He won't because they're in the club. One of the great successes of the EU has been to absorb - and protect - post-soviet states and put them on a democratic path.

The last thing Obama wants is that, Clinton either. Which is one of the reasons the US wants us to stay firmly in the EU and having an Influence within it, to portray our close relationship into other parts of the EU. Also they are warning financial pain for the UK as well as the global impact. It's funny how Obama and Clinton are getting a Brexitier bashing, when the US is one of the very countries we are supposed to strike a no strings free trade deal with outside the EU. It really is getting to the point where no one of any credit on the world stage, be it institutions or political world leaders, thinks Brexit is a good idea. I did say any credit.. So that excludes Putin.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

That club is called NATO

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

The only EU states that could describe themselves as "staunch" would be those paying more in than they get back, the net receivers are just ponces.

It's like your Dad paying for your season ticket.......you might at best be an enthusiastic fan but your not staunch till you can pay your way.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Good point, when it comes to deterring aggression there's nothing quite like the fear of a strongly worded communique .....

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As we have got so many economic"experts" on here in the Remain camp,I thought I would humbly ask their opinions on a bet before I go down the bookies:- eu fin.jpg

Which of the countries is a sure-fire banker to go bust first?Or should I go for a rank outsider,like the Volkswagen compensation deal tipping Merkinland over the edge?
Waiting for any sensible replies,but not holding my breath!

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Currently in, having been flirting with out. Hate bureaucracy, TTIP, increasing control by the transnational corporation, suspicious of CAP, monumental wastage and gravy train of Euro jobs. However UK will be an environmental disaster / basket case if left to the Tories ... which sways my vote.

I don't understand this argument, because it leaves only two possible conclusions, which are both illogical and distasteful. Firstly it presumes that were we to Brexit that this would mean it would be impossible for a centre-left party to ever win an election in the UK again. Please explain your rationale? Secondly, it means that you must be under the impression that the EU in some way is responsible for UK parliamentary policy. And therefore you agree with the principle of unelected members of the European Commission having the prerogative of legislative initiative and with that the ability to push law that we have to abide by through the EU parliament? Is that correct?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
As we have got so many economic"experts" on here in the Remain camp,I thought I would humbly ask their opinions on a bet before I go down the bookies:-View attachment 73893

Which of the countries is a sure-fire banker to go bust first?Or should I go for a rank outsider,like the Volkswagen compensation deal tipping Merkinland over the edge?
Waiting for any sensible replies,but not holding my breath!

Nail. Head. On.

The EU is an economic disaster area. it's truly staggering that the OUT campaign isn't making total hay with this. Not only is the EU going to implode into an economic blancmange it will do so with or without us. If, however, we're still in then the shockwaves will damage us immeasurably more.

A quick one for the non economists. No one, not any person, company, state, county or country can rum with a debt to GDP ratio like this. It is only a question of when not if it topples.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nail. Head. On.

The EU is an economic disaster area. it's truly staggering that the OUT campaign isn't making total hay with this. Not only is the EU going to implode into an economic blancmange it will do so with or without us. If, however, we're still in then the shockwaves will damage us immeasurably more.

A quick one for the non economists. No one, not any person, company, state, county or country can rum with a debt to GDP ratio like this. It is only a question of when not if it topples.

What if you swap debt for mortgage and GDP for earnings. There are a lot of individuals who can manage that.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When the Remain camp win and I think they will then kiss goodbye to the UK as we have known it for years.

Fast forward 20/30 years and we'll be living in part of a European superstate.As a Brit you will be a minority in your town.
As C of E or a Catholic you will also not be part of the largest religious group and will probably be living under Sharia law.
We will all be speaking english whichever state of Europe you are living in so thats ok.
In fact there will be so many similarities between one state and the next that you'll feel at home whether in
Greece or Turkey even.

It's all good.

Can this be construed as scare mongering?

If the inners had come out with something as outrageous as this, Boris would have exploded. This is completely uninformed,non-factual,conjecture, made up as fact.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Can this be construed as scare mongering?

If the inners had come out with something as outrageous as this, Boris would have exploded. This is completely uninformed,non-factual,conjecture, made up as fact.
The European Union is getting bigger and bigger and freedom of movement for all will mean tensions will rise throughout Europe.
Then you have the unstabled Middle East and North Africa refugees making their way to Europe because basically the European Union invites them and does nothing about it.

The European Union can not be fixed full stop

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here