Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble is that the world is a very different place to when we were great, ie when we had control of an empire.
What's all this crap about Empire? It changed to a commonwealth years before the EU started, and we'd set them all (or nearly all) up as independent nation states before we joined the EEC.

Anathema to many, I realise, but we must have been doing something right; almost universally they opted to stay, as independent nations with self-determination, within the commonwealth. As opposed to the EU, which is trying to build an empire of all Europe - without self-determination if it gets its way - plus as far to the east as it can - Turkey next, the Ukraine?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The treasury forecasting (along with George Osbourne) that GDP will be +/- 6% over 14 years. Laughable. Really laughable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's all this crap about Empire? It changed to a commonwealth years before the EU started, and we'd set them all (or nearly all) up as independent nation states before we joined the EEC.

Anathema to many, I realise, but we must have been doing something right; almost universally they opted to stay, as independent nations with self-determination, within the commonwealth. As opposed to the EU, which is trying to build an empire of all Europe - without self-determination if it gets its way - plus as far to the east as it can - Turkey next, the Ukraine?

We had an empire probably upto the start of WW2 although for what was probably early political correctness, the empire name was dropped around 1921. As more countries were granted independence so our status began to decline. We haven't been Great for some time, arguably preceding our joining the EEC. However, don't let reality shatter your romantic dreams.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We had an empire probably upto the start of WW2 although for what was probably early political correctness, the empire name was dropped around 1921. As more countries were granted independence so our status began to decline. We haven't been Great for some time, arguably preceding our joining the EEC. However, don't let reality shatter your romantic dreams.

1949 actually, not 19321, but hey, it's a fact, so so what? The games in 1950 were actually still called the Empire Games, but by 1954 they were the Commonwealth Games, and have been ever since.
Love your knee jerk reaction - someone mentions the Commonwealth in a good light, and is immediately accused of dreaming of restoration of Empire. I'm quite comfortable that the Empire belongs to our past..........................

.......................so should the EU.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You just made that all up.... absolute balderdash.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1949 actually, not 19321, but hey, it's a fact, so so what? The games in 1950 were actually still called the Empire Games, but by 1954 they were the Commonwealth Games, and have been ever since.
Love your knee jerk reaction - someone mentions the Commonwealth in a good light, and is immediately accused of dreaming of restoration of Empire. I'm quite comfortable that the Empire belongs to our past..........................

.......................so should the EU.

I'll correct it slightly but it was in the Anglo Irish Treaty of 1921 when the name Empire was first formerly replaced with Commonwealth.

By the way, I was not for one minute suggesting that there was a dream of restoring an Empire just that the world has moved on considerably since we were regarded as 'Great'

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The treasury forecasting (along with George Osbourne) that GDP will be +/- 6% over 14 years. Laughable. Really laughable.

Yes, laughable. Let's go back to the much more conservative estimates of decline.

When Michael Gove starts bleating that everyone is being treated like a child it all starts to sound like rather desperate stuff from the leave camp.

He should be going for valid arguments like mismanagement of money; speed of decision making; TTIP negotiations etc. of course, all stuff we could still influence from inside the EU and not something we can influence whilst we are trying to negotiate our withdrawal from the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, laughable. Let's go back to the much more conservative estimates of decline.

When Michael Gove starts bleating that everyone is being treated like a child it all starts to sound like rather desperate stuff from the leave camp.

He should be going for valid arguments like mismanagement of money; speed of decision making; TTIP negotiations etc. of course, all stuff we could still influence from inside the EU and not something we can influence whilst we are trying to negotiate our withdrawal from the EU.

The worst case, Remaining and then ending with a Labour government. Hell on earth in my book. We are in this place because of that crappy party in the first place. All we have in this country is an overpriced housing market, and crappy wages, to go with crappy jobs with an increased population. We have been going downhill fast, and nobody in the Remain camp can see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Excellent news for the Remain camp, Michael Gove has waded in supporting the Leave campaign. He couldn't find his own arse with his fingers.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The worst case, Remaining and then ending with a Labour government. Hell on earth in my book. We are in this place because of that crappy party in the first place.

Blimey. Labour are going to get elected if we stay in the EU?

I know that's not what you're saying, but let's not mix our debates together. It's confusing enough as it is.

D

Deleted member 22389

Blimey. Labour are going to get elected if we stay in the EU?

I know that's not what you're saying, but let's not mix our debates together. It's confusing enough as it is.

That is the reality, and people will be conned thinking Labour is the solution. Labour has picked up so many new voters because of immigration in the first place, it's why they are doing so well in London, and really bad in other places. Our voices will be gone.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That is the reality, and people will be conned thinking Labour is the solution. Labour has picked up so many new voters because of immigration in the first place.

Oh good god. You sound like Gove.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The worst case, Remaining and then ending with a Labour government. Hell on earth in my book. We are in this place because of that crappy party in the first place. All we have in this country is an overpriced housing market, and crappy wages, to go with crappy jobs with an increased population. We have been going downhill fast, and nobody in the Remain camp can see it.

Far be for me to correct an outer but I'm afraid it's the Tories fault we are in the EU.

EDIT - it was Heath that lied through his back teeth to voters to get us in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here