Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You think a referendum with three options is a viable idea? Wow!

I don't suppose it will happen but this has been discussed a number of times.

One suggestion has been to have a two stage referendum like, for example, the election to the French presidency. Three options would appear on the ballot paper, two variations on Leave (Chequers and No Deal/Canada Deal say) and one Remain.

A second ballot, shortly afterwards, would be a run-off between the two more popular options. Two points about the second ballot. It would have to include a Leave option, but might not include a Remain one. And according to those who promote it it could potentially help, in a small way, reunite the country - if the final choice was between (say) No Deal and Chequers then Remain voters would naturally campaign heavily for the Leave option most to their taste.

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I see Corbyn sticking his nose in to Brexit again. Wonder what he will come back with. We are leaving the EU Jeremy. We voted Leave. don't you and your party get it, obviously not.

Corbyn is a 'leaver' by incliination. Im sure the leader of the opposition does understand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I see Corbyn sticking his nose in to Brexit again. Wonder what he will come back with. We are leaving the EU Jeremy. We voted Leave. don't you and your party get it, obviously not.

Jeremy Corbyn is more Leave than most of the Tories. He is obeying the Kremlin.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't think you understand Politics, or English much either.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

'sticking his nose in'?

What a strange turn of phrase to choose. This is one of the most important political decisions in a generation, and you think that the leader of HM opposition commenting on it, constitutes 'sticking his nose in'?

FWIW, speaking as a labour voter historically, Corbyn's nose ought to have been stuck in a hell of a lot more over the last three years. His choice to sit in the background and watch things play out, is one of the reasons the whole thing is a shambles.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As pointed out, we would have all the rules, pay into it, but no say in it. We would still be worse off than now.

Who said Project Fear? The government have appointed a Food Supplies Minister. Yes, really.

[tweet]1045033165558042626[/tweet]

15-25% of EU rules, not 'all'.

Pay some but less of what we pay now.

We'd have 'Say' and influence, but no vote ( or veto ).

Sounds an ideal compromise.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
15-25% of EU rules, not 'all'.

Pay some but less of what we pay now.

We'd have 'Say' and influence, but no vote ( or veto ).

Sounds an ideal compromise.

If we have to Leave, then the Norway option is the least of the evils, I'll grant you that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
HE'S LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION, YOU MORON. HE'S ALSO A LEAVER.

You really are simpleton of the highest order. Have a fcking word with yourself, eh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't suppose it will happen but this has been discussed a number of times.

One suggestion has been to have a two stage referendum like, for example, the election to the French presidency. Three options would appear on the ballot paper, two variations on Leave (Chequers and No Deal/Canada Deal say) and one Remain.

A second ballot, shortly afterwards, would be a run-off between the two more popular options. Two points about the second ballot. It would have to include a Leave option, but might not include a Remain one. And according to those who promote it it could potentially help, in a small way, reunite the country - if the final choice was between (say) No Deal and Chequers then Remain voters would naturally campaign heavily for the Leave option most to their taste.

Well, yes, that's a sensible suggestion, if we absolutely can't avoid a second referendum (although actually we've had a second referendum; the first was in 1975 - the third one should be in forty years time too). I'm sure though that all the remainers delighted by the option of a referendum with three options will be seeing it as a way to split the leave vote so that Westminster and Whitehall can weasel their way to getting a 'right' decision.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
....we dont need a 'right' decision. We are creating jobs. Food supply minister?Jesus Christ.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well, yes, that's a sensible suggestion, if we absolutely can't avoid a second referendum (although actually we've had a second referendum; the first was in 1975 - the third one should be in forty years time too). I'm sure though that all the remainers delighted by the option of a referendum with three options will be seeing it as a way to split the leave vote so that Westminster and Whitehall can weasel their way to getting a 'right' decision.

Come up with a sensible deal that works for the EU and our parliamentary representatives and we won't need another vote.

Until pretty recently I've been lukewarm on the idea, but its looking like the Tories have completely failed the country. Appointing a Minister for Food Supplies just shows how pathetic the situation has become

P.S - All British nationals in Europe should be allowed to vote and EU nationals that have resided here for >15 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My international friends have picked up on the Minister For Food Supplies. One asked if Monty Python are running Britain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here