Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
30% of our nation's food comes from the EU. Cliff edge 6 months away.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

No need to panic ..

PiNYfGbcG

..'Dig for Victory' :thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In fact, there is no need for anyone to worry about anything, because Govt Minister Penny Mordaunt announced this weekend that the public would be 'content' with a no-deal Brexit.

Good old public I say, and well done Penny for keeping her finger on the pulse. I'm unsure though how this squares with the latest YouGov for The Times, which suggest that the majority for Remain is now twice what the majority for Leave was in 2016. Perhaps there are 20 million undemocratic loons stalking the country.

And talking of them, I see the Sunday Times reports today that the PM's office is now looking at the prospect of a November election. This would of course supersede the 2017 election, when the public didn't give the Conservatives the answer they wanted, in the same way that the 2017 election superseded the 2015 election which also didn't give Mrs May what she needed to drive a hard Brexit through.

And still Brexit-enthusiasts will keep claiming (untruthfully) that it is the EU that keeps asking the public things until they come up with the required answer.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That's a lot of companies about to go pop in the EU then:rolleyes:
Thought it was only us that would feel the pinch for a minute:lolol:
According to the EU we will suffer badly while in the EU it will have little affect....what bullshite !!:lolol:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Can someone explain to me how Mrs May can call a General Election ? I thought that under the terms of the Fixed Term Parliaments it would need more than her alone to make that decision.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh no, where the **** am I going to get my bratwurst from now, this is serious shit.

Some nice ones made in other countries.The US forces PX in Belgium stocked far tastier ones than the German ones.

noeeyore.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
That's a lot of companies about to go pop in the EU then:rolleyes:
Thought it was only us that would feel the pinch for a minute:lolol:
According to the EU we will suffer badly while in the EU it will have little affect....what bullshite !!:lolol:

I don't think anyone has ever denied that (economically speaking) if Britain were to blow our own own brains out, then the EU, as our nearest neigbours, would have a horrendous cleaning bill :shrug:

It wouldn't be my chosen position for starting a negotiation :shootself

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think you have confused the $ rate and the EURO rate.

Here’s a graph of the GBP/EURO for the last 10 years. As you can see, it’s been as low as 1.02 in that time. Yes, Brexit uncertainty has caused the rate to drop, but markets hate uncertainty. It’s highest point in the last 10 years is 1.44 not 1.60.

I would estimate (from looking at the 10 year chart) the average rate has been close to 1.20 - 1.25.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

No confusion: I was going back further than 10 years. But what the graphic shows rather starkly is the sterling fell off a cliff in 2016. So this is the market's view of Brexit - just as when Mrs May shut her gob on Friday sterling took another hit. On just about every level the thing - or the prospect of the thing - isn't working. It's a plain as the nose(s) on your face(s). Politically there's a case (arguably); economically there's a virtually a consensus that it's a gonner.

D

Deleted member 22389

No confusion: I was going back further than 10 years. But what the graphic shows rather starkly is the sterling fell off a cliff in 2016. So this is the market's view of Brexit - just as when Mrs May shut her gob on Friday sterling took another hit. On just about every level the thing - or the prospect of the thing - isn't working. It's a plain as the nose(s) on your face(s). Politically there's a case (arguably); economically there's a virtually a consensus that it's a gonner.

I could mention that my Spanish property lost 50% of it's value after the banking crisis in 2008, it's slowly coming back to what we originally paid for it. This is finance, this is the property market, things go up and things go down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I could mention that my Spanish property lost 50% of it's value after the banking crisis in 2008, it's slowly coming back to what we originally paid for it. This is life, this is finance, this is the property market, things go up and things go down.

This isn’t life, this is a very bad investment. I’m not going to listen to the views of someone who made such a woeful judgement. Sorry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well JC says if the members want a 2nd ref Labour will back it. I'm a bit surprised about that, but I think Salzburg was the last straw and proved the Tories are not serious about Brexit

D

Deleted member 22389

This isn’t life, this is a very bad investment. I’m not going to listen to the views of someone who made such a woeful judgement. Sorry.

I bought the property in 2002, how the hell did I know there would be a banking crisis in 2008. It wasn't bought for investment purposes either, it was bought as a holiday home, and I was just using it as an example of how things bounce back.

larus

Or, another way to look at things is that in the last 10 years (which I think most people would view as a reasonable economic window), the pound has been above 1.30 for approx 12 months (Mid Jan 2015 to early Feb 2016). So if for the remaining 90% of the last 10 years it's been below 1.30, I don't think anyone with a degree of intelligence could rationally use words like plummet, crash. I accept that there's volatility in the F.Ex markets with Stl due to Brexit, but the impact is nowhere near as dramatic as some try to make out. The year above 1.30 should be viewed as the outlier and not the norm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bought the property in 2002, how the hell did I know there would be a banking crisis in 2008. It wasn't bought for investment purposes either, it was bought as a holiday home, and I was just using it as an example of how things bounce back.

I hear you. Most people didn’t know about the banking crisis.. But then most, sane, people wouldn’t then go an create a further crisis themselves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here