Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Public opinion polls across Europe show people more in favour of the EU than they have been in recent years ”

:thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
“Public opinion polls across Europe show people more in favour of the EU than they have been in recent years ”

:thumbsup:

Surely not. The whole thing's going to fall apart after we leave. No money. No moral compass. And in some countries right wing euro-separatists have won almost as big a share of the vote as our Lib Dems have had in recent years. It's doomed I tell you. I read it on here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So this morning the proBrexit MPs released their paper on how to keep the Irish border open:

https://brexitcentral.com/european-...e-keeping-irish-border-invisible-post-brexit/

My first thought is that it doesn't appear to deliver the Brexit that I had assumed most Brexit voters voted for. I must admit, I'm assuming that immigration is a key issue for many of them, and there appears to be nothing in these headlines that suggests we'd be able to prevent illegal immigrants from pouring over the border via the RoI. :shrug:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So this morning the proBrexit MPs released their paper on how to keep the Irish border open:

https://brexitcentral.com/european-...e-keeping-irish-border-invisible-post-brexit/

My first thought is that it doesn't appear to deliver the Brexit that I had assumed most Brexit voters voted for. I must admit, I'm assuming that immigration is a key issue for many of them, and there appears to be nothing in these headlines that suggests we'd be able to prevent illegal immigrants from pouring over the border via the RoI. :shrug:

It was either controlling immigration, or getting our sovereignty back -- our sovereignty to let immigrants flood/swarm/whatever biological metaphor is in favour across our in/secure border.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Seems little new stuff, just more talk of technical solutions that don't exist. They're still chasing unicorns

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I like the idea of an invisible border. I fact I might try and sell the government one.

David Davis "Where's this border then?"
HT "There"
David Davis "Where, I can't see it."
HT "Of course you can't, its invisible."
David Davis "Brilliant, I'll buy it."

I think Davis has sold it to the ERG - do you get commission :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Their paper seems to suggest simply carrying on as now, and trust everyone and everything which goes across the border. Am I missing something?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Their paper seems to suggest simply carrying on as now, and trust everyone and everything which goes across the border. Am I missing something?

It's the way to go for the 21st century. We are going to do away with all that red tape at HMRC next and just trust everyone to pay their income tax. The answer to Brexit and Austerity in one go :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In all honesty, that's exactly what I'm seeing but maybe I'm wrong. I can understand that some of the points addressed don't really need a border (trade might just need regular checks to ensure no wrong doing) but the point is that their paper clearly fails to address the issue that will surely bother most Brexit voters - the fact that immigrants will simply be able to cross that border freely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Here is a link to the ERM Irish border guide, post Brexit:

I'd love to read what the more intelligent pro-Brexit people on here think of it. As far as I can, it has totally ignored the issue of stemming immigration from the EU. I suppose you could argue people would have free movement across the Irish border but no automatic legal right to be in the UK and certainly not to work (which would be difference between now and then).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In all honesty, that's exactly what I'm seeing but maybe I'm wrong. I can understand that some of the points addressed don't really need a border (trade might just need regular checks to ensure no wrong doing) but the point is that their paper clearly fails to address the issue that will surely bother most Brexit voters - the fact that immigrants will simply be able to cross that border freely.

And also allow businesses to freely move goods into and out of the EU without any interference, scrutiny and taxes. I can’t see the EU allowing this. We must be missing something?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here is a link to the ERM Irish border guide, post Brexit:

I'd love to read what the more intelligent pro-Brexit people on here think of it. As far as I can, it has totally ignored the issue of stemming immigration from the EU. I suppose you could argue people would have free movement across the Irish border but no automatic legal right to be in the UK and certainly not to work (which would be difference between now and then).

The main issue with Brexiteers seems to be security though. I doubt a ISIS nutter will want to do a few days work before he drives his truck into someone? Your point stands.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
And also allow businesses to freely move goods into and out of the EU without any interference, scrutiny and taxes. I can’t see the EU allowing this. We must be missing something?

Especially not considering they also propose doing away with non tariff barriers on imports.

Total pie in the ****ing sky. What a surprise!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here