Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I recall I once read that The EMA alone was responsible for 40,000 hotel room bookings in London a year. Still, despite London losing all that l suppose it'll free up accommodation options for pastas American chums in the future.

Do you think he imports all his friends, another role Brits just don't want?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Those will be the wishes of respecting the democratic vote.
The only berks who dont care about the welfare of the nation are twits like you who are so up their own backside they cant see the damage they would do by trying to stop a democratic vote from being enacted.
Thank god you wont get your way and your aspirations will remain pie in the sky

The question was ‘Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?’ not ‘Should the UK remain a member of the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU or leave the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU?’

No matter how much you wish and shout that it was, it wasn’t.

The overwhelming will of the people was to leave the EU. However I think if the question had been ‘Should the UK remain a member of the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU or leave the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU?’ the overwhelming will of the people would have been to vote remain.

As it is we don’t know. :shrug:

Thankfully some people, like ardent Brexiteers Rabb and Gove, are considering all the options in the interest of the welfare of the nation, not just one routed in ideology and dogma.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
:lolol:
Still going on about the Norway option
Keep up at the back........you are stuck in a timewarp.

Says the guy that wants to send us back to 1970. Laugh it off, but if we get any transition deal at all, it looks like it will be a fudge with lots of detail about what we transition to missing. There will be a G.E. before we finalise and the Tories don't look like winners to me.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The question was ‘Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?’ not ‘Should the UK remain a member of the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU or leave the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU?’

No matter how much you wish and shout that it was, it wasn’t.

The overwhelming will of the people was to leave the EU. However I think if the question had been ‘Should the UK remain a member of the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU or leave the EU and all currently signed up to aspects of the EU?’ the overwhelming will of the people would have been to vote remain.

As it is we don’t know. :shrug:

Thankfully some people, like ardent Brexiteers Rabb and Gove, are considering all the options in the interest of the welfare of the nation, not just one routed in ideology and dogma.

I agree, we should Leave and not remain via a grubby do it all again second stab referendum.
Good to see you are on board.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree, we should Leave and not remain via a grubby do it all again second stab referendum.
Good to see you are on board.

If the options in a second referendum were to accept a Norway type deal, or leave without a deal at all, which would get your vote?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If the options in a second referendum were to accept a Norway type deal, or leave without a deal at all, which would get your vote?

there shouldnt be another referendum period,the referendum act provided for one referendum not multiple ones, the clearly laid out promise was for the gov to abide by the decision of that single referendum. It is up to the executive and parliament to finalise the arrangements of leaving.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
there shouldnt be another referendum period,the referendum act provided for one referendum not multiple ones, the clearly laid out promise was for the gov to abide by the decision of that single referendum. It is up to the executive and parliament to finalise the arrangements of leaving.

No it wasnt:

This act required a referendum to be held on the question of the UK’s continued membership of the European Union before the end of 2017. The bill did not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a vote to leave the EU should be implemented. Instead, this is a type of referendum known as pre-legislative or consultative, which enables the electorate to voice an opinion which then influences the Government in its policy decisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Referendum_Act_2015

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

So if we leave with a Norway style deal will you be happy that the government has delivered the will of the people?

Edit:poorly worded

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The Europhiles in Westminster and Whitehall - unfortunately a considerable majority - are desperate to de-rail Brexit, and they're a slimy lot to boot. Their notion of a second referendum will be, 'Do you accept a really crappy deal which the EU has offered - yes or no?' They would then be hoping for people to reject a deal which basically involved losing any influence over the EU's policies whilst having to obey all its strictures; the people have rejected our leaving deal, they will say - so we'd better just stay in. Objective achieved - enough referendums held until we get the 'right' result, the true EU way.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't know why everyone is so hung up on getting a second referendum. It's the same morons voting, we'll get the same result. Better to just call the whole thing off and bypass the ignorant masses.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Europhiles in Westminster and Whitehall - unfortunately a considerable majority - are desperate to de-rail Brexit, and they're a slimy lot to boot. Their notion of a second referendum will be, 'Do you accept a really crappy deal which the EU has offered - yes or no?' They would then be hoping for people to reject a deal which basically involved losing any influence over the EU's policies whilst having to obey all its strictures; the people have rejected our leaving deal, they will say - so we'd better just stay in. Objective achieved - enough referendums held until we get the 'right' result, the true EU way.

This conveniently ignores the REALITY that the Brexit negotiations were for 2 years fronted by key Brexiteers - you know, people like David Davis, former Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, and Boris Johnson who was foreign secretary.

When reality bit and it became obvious their ideas were utterly fanciful, they'd squeal to their chums in the right wing press. May offered Chequers - which is of course terrible - they decided to resign. Since then, Johnson in particular is spending all his time whinging about Chequers and May, as if they were somehow blameless in the reason the Chequers proposal ever became a thing. You can bleat on about a crappy deal the EU has offered, but as a Brexiteer, why aren't you holding MPs ON YOUR OWN SIDE to account? Exactly WTF were they doing between 2016 and 2018 before they both flounced off?

As far as I'm concerned they were elected by the people promising a good deal on Brexit (something many remainers always said could never happen), and rather than fight for what they promised and believed possible, they've gone squealing to their chums in the right wing press about how everything is terrible. As I say, you had TWO YEARS you fcking idiots.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Jesus wept
Are you lot still denying the gov promised in the leaflet sent to every household that they would implement what was decided.

once.PNG

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I seem to remember you talking about the possibility of retiring to Europe ? If i'm not mistaken, that could be a little more problematic ???

People retired to the continent before we joined the EEC and people still retire to places outside the EU. Despite what remainers claiming - this won't stop. You might need a little more paperwork but really, it's like a bunch of drama queens. People will still be able to retire to EU countries.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't know why everyone is so hung up on getting a second referendum. It's the same morons voting, we'll get the same result. Better to just call the whole thing off and bypass the ignorant masses.

Back to normal then Nibble ..... your politeness didn't last long did it ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Jesus wept
Are you lot still denying the gov promised in the leaflet sent to every household that they would implement what was decided.

View attachment 100469

You seem to be confused with The European Union Referendum Act 2015 and a leaflet :lolol:

You are confused over the basis for the referendum in the first place, what the referendum question was and what the result means!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Back to normal then Nibble ..... your politeness didn't last long did it ?

Nice try but I won't be biting. If you think calling people morons (including myself in that description) is abuse or impolite or whatever then you must have lived a very sheltered life. I didn't get barred for being impolite, I got barred for calling somebody a prick. I will not be calling you or anyone else a prick from now on. That's a Clamp strength guarantee. I can't guarantee I'll be polite to idiots though. Have a splendid day WS, I always enjoy your work on here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This conveniently ignores the REALITY that the Brexit negotiations were for 2 years fronted by key Brexiteers - you know, people like David Davis, former Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, and Boris Johnson who was foreign secretary.

When reality bit and it became obvious their ideas were utterly fanciful, they'd squeal to their chums in the right wing press. May offered Chequers - which is of course terrible - they decided to resign. Since then, Johnson in particular is spending all his time whinging about Chequers and May, as if they were somehow blameless in the reason the Chequers proposal ever became a thing. You can bleat on about a crappy deal the EU has offered, but as a Brexiteer, why aren't you holding MPs ON YOUR OWN SIDE to account? Exactly WTF were they doing between 2016 and 2018 before they both flounced off?

As far as I'm concerned they were elected by the people promising a good deal on Brexit (something many remainers always said could never happen), and rather than fight for what they promised and believed possible, they've gone squealing to their chums in the right wing press about how everything is terrible. As I say, you had TWO YEARS you fcking idiots.
What a load of fanciful twaddle. I won't even bother to begin to point out all the individual errors - your blind adherence to anything anti-Brexit makes it a waste of time arguing with you. Remainers all along have been trying to de-rail Brexit - even most of your fellow remoaners recognise that, although they, of course think it is a good thing.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So if we leave with a Norway style deal will you be happy that the government has delivered the will of the people?

Edit:poorly worded

There wont be a Norway style deal
We dont want it and the EU themselves have ruled it out as impossible.

Do you really think the EU are going to compromise on a Norway style deal thats pemits free movement to end,has no financial contributions to the budget and has no influence from the ECJ when they have said themselves a Norway deal is not possible unless you accept with it free movement, budget contributions and influence of the ECJ

FutureRelationshipSlide.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a load of fanciful twaddle. I won't even bother to begin to point out all the individual errors - your blind adherence to anything anti-Brexit makes it a waste of time arguing with you. Remainers all along have been trying to de-rail Brexit - even most of your fellow remoaners recognise that, although they, of course think it is a good thing.

Sorry but Simster was spot on with his post. No point keeping blaming remainers, Brexit was always going to be a foul up because it's a flawed concept with all the odds stacked against it from day 1. Take some responsibility. Do I think Brexit being a mess is a good thing? Not particularly but then it was always going to be.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
For stays of over 3 months (ie longer than a tourist visa), if the UK leaves the EU your wife and kids will be subject to the same racist laws that those of us who have non-EU wives are subjected to. You will need to earn over £18,600 a year, and perhaps more importantly, have lived and worked in that job for 6 months before your wife and kids are allowed to join you living in the UK, thus separating you from your family and your kids from their father for this time period.

If you just pop back to the UK for a few weeks at a time it probably won’t make much difference other than having to wait stupidly long hours at the airport for your family to make it through immigration.

...and as well as the day-to-day practical inconveniences there is the closing in of natural horizons. Our land will no longer stretch from the Scottish Islands to the Greek ones. It will come to a halt on the Isle of Wight. I've quoted him before, but this chap says it better than I can.

We hope to see a Europe where men of every country will think as much of being a European as of belonging to their native land, and that without losing any part of their love and loyalty to their birthplace. We hope that wherever they go in this wide domain, to we set no limit in the European continent, they will truly feel ‘Here I am at home. I am a citizen of this country too’.

Makes sense to me. Sadly, Nige and the Borisses are in charge now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here