Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The whole things a fkin joke. We have remainers trying to disrupt things, and the EU saying no to everything. Are we not allowed to be free of the EU? Yes or No

Once again, Stop f***ing whining, show some balls and take some responsibility for the outcome of your actions.

This situation isn't down to Remainers, the EU or even the Government. You were told exactly what would happen but you stuck your fingers in your ears and shouted 'Project Fear'. This total farce is down to you and people like you. This is exactly what you voted for.

HDHuT.BlogSpot.com.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also

When did Boris become a remainer? He’s doing more than anyone to feck things up

Point of order. Boris Johnson has always been a Remainer, and is on long and detailed record extolling the benefits of staying in the EU.

Its just that his opportunism and prioritizing of his own career over the nation's best interests, saw him switch 'sides' in the run up to the referendum.

D

Deleted member 22389

Once again, Stop f***ing whining, show some balls and take some responsibility for the outcome of your actions.

This situation isn't down to Remainers, the EU or even the Government. You were told exactly what would happen but you stuck your fingers in your ears and shouted 'Project Fear'. This total farce is down to you and people like you. This is exactly what you voted for.

View attachment 97527

Thanks. You don't need to swear at me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As part of his leaked comments (that I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was involved in leaking) Johnson said that all the medium and long term gains are being sacrificed out of fear of short term disruption. Given that the best economic forecasts are now saying 'We won't be that much worse off' What are the medium and long term gains to which he is referring?

If it's just about being able to buy bent bananas and the colour of passports, I would be willing to trade that for having something else discusssed on PM & The Today Programme. A few years back I used to get bored senseless with Alistair Darling coming on day after day being berated about the foot and mouth crisis, but this makes me wish for those days. If there is a second referendum, I think remain could win it by runnning on a platform of 'Vote Remain, and you won't have to listen to anyone talking about this utterly tedious subject ever again.' Going into the last election, membership of EU was low down the list of the main concerns of the massive majority of voters, but it is now the only subject that is ever discussed..... endlessly..... in minute detail..... and with no side ever giving any ground.

Reading Kafka's 'The Trial' as a younger man I found it starkly depressing that Josef K went to his death never getting any sort of clarity on what was happening to him, but I'm now wondering if his death was supposed to represent the only form of relief available.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

View attachment 97527

so you want to blame exercising their democratic right. the outcome is down to politicans unable, unwilling or unprepared to negotiate, plan and implement. or are you going to blame every fault of government policy on the voters?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

If I was a remainer I'd blame the mess on the Remain campaign and their inability to 'sell' the electorate the benefits of staying in. Instead they chose to run a negative campaign that back fired.

As a leaver I blame May trying to appease the remain camp in her cabinet. Like them or not, if Gove and Johnson had been in charge then we'd have had more bullish and less lillylivered approach to the process of leaving.

I don't blame the voters one single ounce - they said what they wanted and politicians on both sides have fvck3d it up !

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
If I was a remainer I'd blame the mess on the Remain campaign and their inability to 'sell' the electorate the benefits of staying in. Instead they chose to run a negative campaign that back fired.

As a leaver I blame May trying to appease the remain camp in her cabinet. Like them or not, if Gove and Johnson had been in charge then we'd have had more bullish and less lillylivered approach to the process of leaving.

I don't blame the voters one single ounce - they said what they wanted and politicians on both sides have fvck3d it up !

Agree completely with this.

For Brexit to work, and I voted leave btw, it needed strong bullish personalities like Boris telling the EU to basically stick it. Had we taken this line and kept to it I am pretty sure the EU would have come back begging at some point. Might have meant no deal but then we would be off and running with trade deals with the rest of the world. I didn't vote leave to be better off economically, I voted to take control of our laws. THerefore even if the economy fell by 5-10% I'd still be happy with my decision. Long term I believe we would be as well off if not better, but you have to embrace it and really go for the positives of trade with the rest of the world. I bet we would negotiate a better steel deal directly with the US if we were playing this hard line. Trump would love it.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For Brexit to work it needed to align with the wishes of the public. Namely "out, but only just out". That meant EEA as something which would have commanded majority support within the electorate, the House and the Government.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
For Brexit to work it needed to align with the wishes of the public. Namely "out, but only just out". That meant EEA as something which would have commanded majority support within the electorate, the House and the Government.

Out of interest, how do you know this ? As a leaver I wouldn't have voted to be in the EEA.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
For Brexit to work it needed to align with the wishes of the public. Namely "out, but only just out".

What does this mean? I voted to leave, my interpretation of that was out of all trade relations, out of all laws made at Brussels and control of our own borders. Pretty sure most leavers voted on that basis too.

What is EEA?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
What does this mean? I voted to leave, my interpretation of that was out of all trade relations, out of all laws made at Brussels and control of our own borders. Pretty sure most leavers voted on that basis too.

What is EEA?

European Economic Area - it contains all the EU members as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It means they have access to the single market and other bits of the EU but don't get a vote on EU matters. It's a half way house and, IMO, the worst of the 3 possibilities.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Agree completely with this.

For Brexit to work, and I voted leave btw, it needed strong bullish personalities like Boris telling the EU to basically stick it. Had we taken this line and kept to it I am pretty sure the EU would have come back begging at some point. Might have meant no deal but then we would be off and running with trade deals with the rest of the world. I didn't vote leave to be better off economically, I voted to take control of our laws. THerefore even if the economy fell by 5-10% I'd still be happy with my decision. Long term I believe we would be as well off if not better, but you have to embrace it and really go for the positives of trade with the rest of the world. I bet we would negotiate a better steel deal directly with the US if we were playing this hard line. Trump would love it.

Other then free movement laws, what laws brought in by the EU would you want changed?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

What is EEA?

European Economic Area. Like Norway is for example. There's still a legal argument to be had on this as Article 127 of The EEA Agreement may not be covered by Article 50. It's effectively, along with continued customs union membership, where we're hoping to be heading during the transition that nobody voted for either as the 'no deal' scenario alternative won't be too pretty for anyone.

Jan 30, 2008

View attachment 97527
getting yourself at it again I see ??? , still leaving though :wave:
regards
DR

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
European Economic Area - it contains all the EU members as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It means they have access to the single market and other bits of the EU but don't get a vote on EU matters. It's a half way house and, IMO, the worst of the 3 possibilities.

No thanks. That isn't what I or most of the other leavers voted for. I want us to be free to set our own trade deals with other countries without any restrictions.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No thanks. That isn't what I or most of the other leavers voted for. I want us to be free to set our own trade deals with other countries without any restrictions.

Which we could do within The EEA as neither Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein are within the European Customs Union.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here