Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

A two-year mega sulk, temper tantrum masquerading as informed debate :rolleyes:

On the plus side NSC has provided a useful outlet to vent all that angst .. probably saved a few relationships :D

I don't know how they can keep going.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Talking of Theresa May, she is so worried about being defeated in the House, she is railroading through all 15 amendments the Lords asked to be reconsidered in one 12 hour session. I hope the Lords examine each one carefully and send it back to the Commons again. That's democracy in action.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1003643042463698946

[tweet]1003643042463698946[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He knows four people who have moved to mainland Europe. Even Nigel Lawson, Brexiteer in chief, is running away, applying for a carte de sejour, so he can access his French villa, after Brexit. I sincerely hope President Macron turns him down.

Lawson, up there with Farage when it comes to sheer hypocrisy. Another climate change sceptic too, goes with the territory...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Talking of Theresa May, she is so worried about being defeated in the House, she is railroading through all 15 amendments the Lords asked to be reconsidered in one 12 hour session. I hope the Lords examine each one carefully and send it back to the Commons again. That's democracy in action.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1003643042463698946

[tweet]1003643042463698946[/tweet]

another odd reference to democracy in favor of the Lords over the commons.
isnt the need for "debate" is largely acedemic at this point? members will agree or not, be whipped or not. half of the amendments you'd expect to pass undebated, they are procedural.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well that's a good point the question does it matter if four or six individuals leave the UK and I guess in it's self it will have no impact but one thing with migrants that tends to be true is the best tend to leave first

Most comeback. I know a few who left for AUS but they gradually returned. They left b4 Brexit though

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just to clear this up - I want the UK to leave the EU, all of it. I don't condone how the government has gone about achieving it ( although I don't think the remain camp has exactly helped the process ). Did I think there would be some pain ? Yes. Do I think that pain will be worth it in the long run ? Yes.

Thank you; admirably clear. I think we can genuinely agree that we will all feel your pain. I guess there's a bit of an irony in that if you are right (and let's say that you are) then the older demographic who voted Leave are only going to be around long enough to feel the pain and not the 'benefits' (whatever these may be and whenever they might materialise).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
another odd reference to democracy in favor of the Lords over the commons.
isnt the need for "debate" is largely acedemic at this point? members will agree or not, be whipped or not. half of the amendments you'd expect to pass undebated, they are procedural.

It's clear you don't know how the Lords work. They can send bills back to the HoC for amendments, which reins in the worst excesses of any government. It is democracy in action. It prevents fanatics.

Theresa May is so concerned with holding onto power, for good or bad, she has made up a list of Tories to made life peers to try and flood the Lords with people on 'her side'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's clear you don't know how the Lords work. They can send bills back to the HoC for amendments, which reins in the worst excesses of any government. It is democracy in action. It prevents fanatics.

Theresa May is so concerned with holding onto power, for good or bad, she has made up a list of Tories to made life peers to try and flood the Lords with people on 'her side'.

And Parliament can over rule any amendments the Lords have suggested - suggested being the operative word.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Just to clear this up - I want the UK to leave the EU, all of it. I don't condone how the government has gone about achieving it ( although I don't think the remain camp has exactly helped the process ). Did I think there would be some pain ? Yes. Do I think that pain will be worth it in the long run ? Yes.

But didn't you say somewhere that you were moving abroad in the long run anyway ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just observing that it's an unusual situation, whereby you are happy to go through the pain that you believe would be caused by leaving the EU in order to get some sort of long term gains which you won't be part of ?

But my children will be and I'm somewhat hoping I've still got a decent amount of time left to live.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
But my children will be and I'm somewhat hoping I've still got a decent amount of time left to live.

Fairy Muff :thumbsup:

I see the government has folded again under questioning by the Brexit Committee and finalised something which a lot of Brexiteers on here insisted wouldn't happen.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-divorce-bill-uk-pay-eu-trade-deal-talks-david-davis-suella-braverman-a8364841.html

So that's the divorce bill finalised and committed to, with no promise of even a trade agreement in return. Still nothing is agreed until everything is agreed though, isn't it.

The problem is that without any sort of plan, these decisions will be made on the fly, by Ministers when cornered and under pressure in Committees. I know the Government have very little option, given the situation they are in, but it really is no way to run a f***ing country.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here