Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The sectoral and regional effects of the models are striking. The industries that suffer most include chemicals, food and drink, cars and retailing. The areas of the country hit hardest include the north-east, the north-west and the West Midlands, all of which voted heavily for Brexit. London escapes relatively lightly. The public finances suffer too. The FTA option will add £55bn ($75bn) to annual public borrowing in 15 years’ time.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/03/15/how-bad-could-it-get

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The real person in charge here is Theresa May, not Soros. May might have been a remainer, but I think she understands 100%

Well that's a brave statement and one that it would be hard to find much agreement with in the 'NSC poll' - only a very kind, optimistic, generous and very possibly cognitively challenged 30% reckon she 'knows what she's doing'. I'm amazed it's that high. Having said that god alone knows how any leader can show clarity of vision in the midst of this shit storm - much of which is being thrown at you by your own side!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't just stop there "By the way, George Soros a nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth-were you aware of that?” Roseanne Barr

Don't be so silly. I would not and have never made or thought such an accusation. The other stuff I said was incontrovertible. Or do you want to defend the debacle with the erm and suggest that it didn't harm the people I referred to?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I read that as well. Rare or not, it's ultimately a decision as per the Italian constitution as the 2 populist parties did not mention the seismic option of Italy leaving The Eurozone in the election campaign.

It's not that rare, it's the fourth time it's happened since the war - not common but not unprecedented.

Personally, I think the president's right, a major move like that should be debated during an election. Can you imagine the furore here if Labour won a snap election promising to continue Brexit and then made a decision to cancel Article 50 and not leave the EU? All hell would break loose.

I don't know follow Italian politics closely enough to know whether leaving the Euro is the right thing to do or not but I do know it's a major decision that should be discussed in public and not sneaked in through the back door.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personally, I think the president's right, a major move like that should be debated during an election. Can you imagine the furore here if Labour won a snap election promising to continue Brexit and then made a decision to cancel Article 50 and not leave the EU? All hell would break loose.

I don't know follow Italian politics closely enough to know whether leaving the Euro is the right thing to do or not but I do know it's a major decision that should be discussed in public and not sneaked in through the back door.

as i recall both parties have established anti Euro positions, though did not campaign on leaving the Euro so the election didnt become a referendum on that issue. them choosing an anti-Euro economic minister should come as surprise to no one. and now if there is a fresh election the issue becomes dominant, if they win they will have a mandate to pursue that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
as i recall both parties have established anti Euro positions, though did not campaign on leaving the Euro so the election didnt become a referendum on that issue. them choosing an anti-Euro economic minister should come as surprise to no one. and now if there is a fresh election the issue becomes dominant, if they win they will have a mandate to pursue that.

But, as you say, neither campaigned on the issue - indeed Five Star said that it did not favour leaving the Euro. If it does become an election issue then that's fair enough but a momentous change like that needs proper debate.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Don't be so silly. I would not and have never made or thought such an accusation. The other stuff I said was incontrovertible. Or do you want to defend the debacle with the erm and suggest that it didn't harm the people I referred to?

The Conservatives (except Thatcher) dogmatically pursued a commitment to the ERM, despite warnings ministers persisted, in the face of the evidence that the economic policy was vulnerable, they insisted policy was going to plan and could not be altered under any circumstances (sounds familiar). The bank of England's door was left wide open to be exploited by quantitative hedge fund companies. This is a cheap point but Soros is in the same business as Tony Bloom (who is also capable of being a philanthropist). Black Wednesday cost 3 Billion this is peanuts compared to Brexit - 3 Billion is just the admin fee for pre Brexit negotiations.

It is right to be sceptical of Soros' motivations, is their some evidence that Soros will benefit from reversing Brexit?. They tend to profit from chaos. For managers of hedge fund companies with clear conflicts of interests see Reese, power to the people, Mogg.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't know why you are asking me about reversing brexit. I simply said I do not trust Soros, he is not someone that is a friend of Britain or the British people. I also blame the Tories who as you say presided over the whole sorry mess and who should never have gotten involved with the ERM in the first place. Soros read the market, was an opportunist, but his actions cost our people very many billions of pounds and caused hardship to millions. Linking Bloom is a total red herring as Bloom has not acted in that way on that scale and almost bankrupted our country. I did not like the implication you made that I would justify Rosanne's racist comments either. And making your point political won't cut it with me as I think all the parties are a complete mess and I don't like any of them.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
I don't know why you are asking me about reversing brexit. I simply said I do not trust Soros, he is not someone that is a friend of Britain or the British people. I also blame the Tories who as you say presided over the whole sorry mess and who should never have gotten involved with the ERM in the first place. Soros read the market, was an opportunist, but his actions cost our people very many billions of pounds and caused hardship to millions. Linking Bloom is a total red herring as Bloom has not acted in that way on that scale and almost bankrupted our country. I did not like the implication you made that I would justify Rosanne's racist comments either. And making your point political won't cut it with me as I think all the parties are a complete mess and I don't like any of them.

Apologies, the Barr point was hyperbolic. I agree, and you are right to be sceptical. The initial argument seemed to imply that Soros is necessarily an enemy of Britain.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Apologies, the Barr point was hyperbolic. I agree, and you are right to be sceptical. The initial argument seemed to imply that Soros is necessarily an enemy of Britain.

How refreshing to see an apology on this thread. Well done: whatever next - each side might start acknowledging merits in the other's arguments and flaws in their own..................

Jan 30, 2008

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I've little natural sympathy for people in Soros's trade but the situation that faced him in the 90s involved a foreign government (ours) behaving with spectacular stupidity and arrogance - the markets were clearly going to punish such foolishness and Soros made sure he was one of the beneficiaries. It's worth mentioning that he has put about 20 times as much of his money into worthy exercises as he made from the ERM debacle.

All gamblers make their money from the misfortune of others. I couldn't do it myself even if I was clever enough but my main concern is that Soros is now going to be the subject of one of those personalised character assassinations so loved by Paul Dacre and his kind to manipulate public opinion in the direction they choose.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You don't even deserve to call yourself British with your defeatist attitude. Can't fight the eu? Run away. PATHETIC.

Ah you're back from fighting for the rights of European citizens ...... how's the mission going Batman ? We'd all love to hear what actions you've taken so far .... bar obviously running away from the UK of course .... although you haven't really left our shores have you Nibble ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ah you're back from fighting for the rights of European citizens ...... how's the mission going Batman ? We'd all love to hear what actions you've taken so far .... bar obviously running away from the UK of course .... although you haven't really left our shores have you Nibble ?

Obviously, please continue to stalk and insult me but I must correct you on one point, I am not Plooks. Check with the mods if you care that much.

Fully expect "well, you're both just as stupid as each other" type response form you but no, not me I'm afraid.

As you were.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Obviously, please continue to stalk and insult me but I must correct you on one point, I am not Plooks. Check with the mods if you care that much.

Fully expect "well, you're both just as stupid as each other" type response form you but no, not me I'm afraid.

As you were.

Problem being Nibble, you're a proven liar so how do we know when you're telling the truth and when you're not ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here