Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I really don't understand why some people just assume everything will be okay for all non-Irish EU citizens here when 'Settled Status' is (allegedly) rolled out at the end of the year by The Home Office.
Probably the same reason that a lot of people (I wonder which way they voted - I can't begin to hazard a guess!) are happy to proclaim at every opportunity that they know for an absolute certainty that everything won't be OK?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really don't understand why some people just assume everything will be okay for all non-Irish EU citizens here when 'Settled Status' is (allegedly) rolled out at the end of the year by The Home Office.

I suspect a lot of them are doing the same as they did for Brexit. Cross their fingers and hope for the best.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The fines that have been given by The Electoral Commission to Remain groups including The Lib Dems for breaches during the referendum are equally paltry. At least there is consistency.

Has anyone from the 'Remain' campaign been referred to the police like the Leave.EU chief executive has been?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Probably the same reason that a lot of people (I wonder which way they voted - I can't begin to hazard a guess!) are happy to proclaim at every opportunity that they know for an absolute certainty that everything won't be OK?

Who has claimed they know for an absolute certainty that everything won't be ok? Yes, I am upset at what might happen, given previous circumstances and also the fact that these people, like my friend, were unable to vote in the Referendum. They were not allowed to vote in something that has direct consequences.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Agreement has been reached through the transition period, has it not? Any EU citizens coming to the UK in that period to be treated the same as those already here? Besides, in the longer term, she is negotiating Brexit with the EU - who themselves are playing hard-ball. Have you heard anything at all from Barnier or Juncker (or Merkel or any other EU leader) about the right of UK citizens in the EU? Honestly, have you heard a single guarantee for our people abroad? Why would you want the EU to keep their cards close to their chest whilst demanding that the UK lays all its cards on the table now? - bit one sided, isn't that?

The EU are quite adamant nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, people seem to have forgotten that May asked the EU to discuss and sort out citizens rights as a matter of urgency well before the negotiations started, They flatly refused and wouldnt discuss anything until we invoked Article 50, which was further delayed by a court case

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

If you've got faith in The Home Office registering all 3 million and all 3 million complying with the conditions accordingly - those without bank accounts, the elderly, those who've been here decades and don't think they need to apply, those who don't use the internet, those who don't have passports, those with criminal records, the 50,000 EU citizens who were victims of domestic abuse in the year to 2017, those with English language difficulties, those with children, those with mental health issues, those not on the electoral roll, those who apply late or don't apply at all and those with a combination of all that - good for you.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Has anyone from the 'Remain' campaign been referred to the police like the Leave.EU chief executive has been?

Dont know, ive never even heard of her though.
I do see the electoral commission announced also that as part of their investigation they found no evidence Leave.EU received donations or paid-for services from Cambridge Analytica.
Oddly this revelation doesnt seem to be getting the same amount of air time as when the original accusations came out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even today, Aaron Banks is on the radio saying the over spend was only £7K.

The investigation found it was definitely £77K

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who has claimed they know for an absolute certainty that everything won't be ok?
Loads of remainers, including plenty in the 48 thousand posts on this thread. I don't have to name them all - they're there.

Yes, I am upset at what might happen, given previous circumstances and also the fact that these people, like my friend, were unable to vote in the Referendum. They were not allowed to vote in something that has direct consequences.
Foreign nationals are not included on the electoral rolls - never have been. Not here, and, as far as I know, not anywhere else in the EU, or anywhere else either. General elections have direct consequences too, but there isn't, and never has been, any groundswell of opinion for giving foreign nationals a vote.
I'm out of here now - I hope things turn out alright for your friend, but clearly nothing I can say will stop you worrying. Project Fear has a lot to answer for - not just to you, either; it's an insidious cancer that will go on spreading division among the good people of this country as long as it can.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Foreign nationals are not included on the electoral rolls - never have been. Not here, and, as far as I know, not anywhere else in the EU, or anywhere else either. General elections have direct consequences too, but there isn't, and never has been, any groundswell of opinion for giving foreign nationals a vote.

Yes they are - EU citizens can vote in local elections and EU elections. EU citizens could vote in the Scottish referendum in 2014. Commonwealth and Irish citizens could vote in the Brexit referendum, like they can in a general election, meaning, along with Irish EU citizens, Maltese and Cypriots could vote in the Brexit referendum.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you've got faith in The Home Office registering all 3 million and all 3 million complying with the conditions accordingly - those without bank accounts, the elderly, those who've been here decades and don't think they need to apply, those who don't use the internet, those who don't have passports, those with criminal records, the 50,000 EU citizens who were victims of domestic abuse in the year to 2017, those with English language difficulties, those with children, those with mental health issues, those not on the electoral roll, those who apply late or don't apply at all and those with a combination of all that - good for you.
You forgot Peter Gurney and Uncle Tom Cobley...........

Seriously though, do you think they are capable of deporting all three million of them just like that? If so, what is your time scale for them to achieve this? And if they're not EU citizens, what difference does Brexit make? - answer: it doesn't. Of course, that won't stop some people blaming it on Brexit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Referendum were Vote Leave broke electoral law five times.
https://www.electoralcommission.org...ches-of-electoral-law-following-investigation

They've been fined a paltry £70K. A mere slap on the wrist.

Whilst I don't condone breaking the law this does pose the question to whether the spending rules are balanced and fair.

For example the remain campaign were able to spend 50% more than the leave campaign - and that doesn't even include the £9m the government spent on the dodgy booklet :

Brexit Spending.JPG

Hardly a level playing field for the referendum. Then this article makes interesting reading on how, allegedly, the 'establishment' used every resource they had to try and get a remain result.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rules-priti-patel-david-cameron-a8137361.html

What is deliciously hilarious though, is that despite all these extra resources the vote went against them. :lol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What on earth are you babbling on about? You’re not making any sense. Think I preferred it when you lied; at least we understood you then even if we didn’t believe you.

Oh dear Tubby.This late night posting after you've had a few never works out well.Try reading the posts when sober.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You forgot Peter Gurney and Uncle Tom Cobley...........

Seriously though, do you think they are capable of deporting all three million of them just like that? If so, what is your time scale for them to achieve this? And if they're not EU citizens, what difference does Brexit make? - answer: it doesn't. Of course, that won't stop some people blaming it on Brexit.

The 3 million I was referring to are the 3 million EU citizens here who'll have to apply for 'Settled Status' so it's got everything to do with Brexit. If they don't, presumably their 'status' becomes illegal?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dont know, ive never even heard of her though.
I do see the electoral commission announced also that as part of their investigation they found no evidence Leave.EU received donations or paid-for services from Cambridge Analytica.
Oddly this revelation doesnt seem to be getting the same amount of air time as when the original accusations came out.

They didn't investigate very well, as Aaron Banks admitted it on his Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#CambridgeAnalytica&src=tyah

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Yes they are - EU citizens can vote in local elections and EU elections. EU citizens could vote in the Scottish referendum in 2014. Commonwealth and Irish citizens could vote in the Brexit referendum, like they can in a general election, meaning, along with Irish EU citizens, Maltese and Cypriots could vote in the Brexit referendum.

+ The EU has a bill in motion to give post brexit Brits, who want it, associated citizenships rights, including the right to vote

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

OK, fair enough I didn't know that. There is presumably then a procedure for them to register, and those who don't register won't be able to vote.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Even today, Aaron Banks is on the radio saying the over spend was only £7K.

The investigation found it was definitely £77K

If you feel angry about that,how do you feel about this?Or are corrupt crooks from the banking industry ok with you?Slightly larger fine.

corrupt.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here