Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I suppose that depends where you are going to build all the new houses and infrastructure to keep up with the rise in net immigration year in year out, that in turn is the main reason for the rapid increase in current and projected UK population growth. 70 million plus within 15 years. Better start digging up those greenfield sites asap.

Those people are going to live somewhere regardless of whether we are in the EU or not. Population growth obviously has an environmental impact and associated development needs to be undertaken as sustainably as possible; being in the EU helps ensure that happens.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why would large-scale future immigration be likely to increase the 10% figure? Are immigrants becoming more criminal?

As we can't automatically prevent EU citizens with criminal convictions from coming here or even insist any have a job first it is likely in my view that with ongoing large scale future immigration this rate is likely to increase as our economy will not always be awash with opportunities.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I think it's likely most of those 'expressing an interest' wouldn't but even if only 25% did that's another 3 million people. It ain't gonna happen? How do you know this?

Why are the UK and the EU giving Billions to Turkey so they meet the EU entry criteria?

The EU is being nice to Turkey at the moment as we need them onside in order to try and deal with the refugee flood.

I find it exceedingly unlikely that Turkey will become an EU member whilst every Member State has an individual veto. Which they do have, despite what Vote Leave says.

Why is the Vote Leave campaign lying to the public by telling people that Turkish ascension is a done deal? Maybe because they want to scare people into voting out?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Those people are going to live somewhere regardless of whether we are in the EU or not. Population growth obviously has an environmental impact and associated development needs to be undertaken as sustainably as possible; being in the EU helps ensure that happens.

Mass immigration has an environmental impact and is unsustainable. Being in the EU makes it impossible for us to control immigration rates so we cannot accurately plan for current or future population growth.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The EU is being nice to Turkey at the moment as we need them onside in order to try and deal with the refugee flood.

I find it exceedingly unlikely that Turkey will become an EU member whilst every Member State has an individual veto. Which they do have, despite what Vote Leave says.

Why is the Vote Leave campaign lying to the public by telling people that Turkish ascension is a done deal? Maybe because they want to scare people into voting out?

The EU is throwing additional Billions at Turkey to make the migrant crisis go away but the funding for helping them reach the required EU entry level is separate and a substantial €4.5 Billion.

If you are right then the EU and the UK are wasting Billions of tax payers money for no reason. But you could be wrong.

You asked and answered your own question.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Mass immigration has an environmental impact and is unsustainable. Being in the EU makes it impossible for us to control immigration rates so we cannot accurately plan for current or future population growth.

What environmental impacts does mass immigration result in, that wouldn’t otherwise occur?

Those people, who potentially won’t come to the UK if we leave the EU, aren’t just going to spontaneously combust if we do leave the EU?! They will still need houses to live in, roads to get around on and power stations for power. The EU helps mitigate the environmental impacts associated with those developments (through legislation and frameworks), either in the UK or any other country within the EU where they may currently reside.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
If you are right then the EU and the UK are wasting Billions of tax payers money for no reason. But you could be wrong.

For no reason? Turkey is an ally under severe pressure due to what's going on in Syria. Plus it's a NATO member, which as several on this thread are keen to remind us, is clearly a far more relevant organisation than the EU.

The EU has to be seen to be doing the right thing by going through the motions. There is no official "no way you're getting in" policy, but individual Member States may have other ideas when it comes to a vote. Chief among them being those jolly friends of Turkey the Greek Cypriots. And probably the Greeks themselves. The Dutch have an amended constitution that means the public can demand a referendum on it (they already scuppered the Ukraine trade deal using the same mechanism). And many of those famously racially open-minded Eastern European nations also have a long history with Turkey that makes welcoming them unlikely. There may be others I've missed.

That's also assuming it even gets to a vote. There are those tricky justice and human rights clauses among the 35 rules to get past first.

There's a chance I could be wrong.
There's a chance I may get struck by lightning when the forecast storms arrive this weekend.
There's a chance I could die in my sleep tonight.
There's a chance aliens from Mars may land on Brighton beach tomorrow.

But none of those things are going to keep me awake at night.

You asked and answered your own question.

So you do admit that the Vote Leave campaign is based on lies then?

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What environmental impacts does mass immigration result in, that wouldn’t otherwise occur?

Those people, who potentially won’t come to the UK if we leave the EU, aren’t just going to spontaneously combust if we do leave the EU?! They will still need houses to live in, roads to get around on and power stations for power. The EU helps mitigate the environmental impacts associated with those developments (through legislation and frameworks), either in the UK or any other country within the EU where they may currently reside.

For this country needing to build 240 houses every day for the next 20 years just to match immigration demand (not to clear the backlog). Increased congestion and pollution in this country to name but two. You do realise England is one of the most densely populated countries in the EU?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
For this country needing to build 240 houses every day for the next 20 years just to match immigration demand (not to clear the backlog). Increased congestion and pollution in this country to name but two. You do realise England is one of the most densely populated countries in the EU?

You do realise the environment exits outside the UK don't you?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Erm 402 pages, you do realise it won't make a blind bit of difference for the vast majority of us right?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Erm 402 pages, you do realise it won't make a blind bit of difference for the vast majority of us right?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty certain that every "undecided" who happened upon this thread would have lost the will to live about 3,800 posts ago.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
For no reason? Turkey is an ally under severe pressure due to what's going on in Syria. Plus it's a NATO member, which as several on this thread are keen to remind us, is clearly a far more relevant organisation than the EU.

The EU has to be seen to be doing the right thing by going through the motions. There is no official "no way you're getting in" policy, but individual Member States may have other ideas when it comes to a vote. Chief among them being those jolly friends of Turkey the Greek Cypriots. And probably the Greeks themselves. The Dutch have an amended constitution that means the public can demand a referendum on it (they already scuppered the Ukraine trade deal using the same mechanism). And many of those famously racially open-minded Eastern European nations also have a long history with Turkey that makes welcoming them unlikely. There may be others I've missed.

That's also assuming it even gets to a vote. There are those tricky justice and human rights clauses among the 35 rules to get past first.

There's a chance I could be wrong.
There's a chance I may get struck by lightning when the forecast storms arrive this weekend.
There's a chance I could die in my sleep tonight.
There's a chance aliens from Mars may land on Brighton beach tomorrow.

But none of those things are going to keep me awake at night.

So you do admit that the Vote Leave campaign is based on lies then?

Once again the €4.5 Billion is part of a specific fund to help Turkey meet the required EU entry standard. The overall larger funding pot gives money to all EU accession countries. So your saying we are just doing it to go through the motions which in my book is no good reason and also wishful thinking and a shocking waste of money (if true!).

Yes some countries are currently against Turkish membership and some are extremely keen (the UK) but when have individual countries wishes or rare referendum's ever stopped the EU getting what it wants.

I will say in this instance anyone who claims Turkey definitely 100% will or definitely 100% won't join the EU is fibbing.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
As we can't automatically prevent EU citizens with criminal convictions from coming here or even insist any have a job first it is likely in my view that with ongoing large scale future immigration this rate is likely to increase as our economy will not always be awash with opportunities.
Right, so you are saying that the future decline in UK job opportunities will not result in fewer immigrants turning up but will result in a greater proportion of those that arrive carrying out criminal acts when they realise that there are fewer job opportunities? If that's a dress rehearsal for the immigrant-themed scaremongering the Leave campaign is promising us I'm going to put on my crash helmet.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Right, so you are saying that the future decline in UK job opportunities will not result in fewer immigrants turning up but will result in a greater proportion of those that arrive carrying out criminal acts when they realise that there are fewer job opportunities? If that's a dress rehearsal for the immigrant-themed scaremongering the Leave campaign is promising us I'm going to put on my crash helmet.

It may effect the rate but as we know from the 2008 crash economic uncertainty and job security didn't stop net inward migration continuing in large numbers. And as we see from today's figures plenty of EU migrants are coming without the promise of a job so this is only one draw factor.

Keep hold of that crash helmet it will come in handy when we have the next major recession.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
htwh8k.jpg

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

We put ours on weeks ago with all your blithering and peddling of lies

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here