Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You're using semantics to thinly vail your bullshit. Call it what you like but unless you're stupid you know the "no deal" end of the spectrum is a hard-Brexit.

Hard Brexit when it was initially coined meant leaving the internal market. That is now a given, so it is a moving target now used to describe anything you don't like or can use to bash the govt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
question for the Remainers, if we accept there will be a Brexit, what parts of EU principles and institutions would you give up to see a "soft-Brexit". or, do you want to keep it all, not accept any form of Brexit?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I thought that anti-EU protester who dresses like Tinkerbell in a short green skirt and reckons Farage was sent by God was the most mental loon in this debate but this chap beats that.

[tweet]846439501950013442[/tweet]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
question for the Remainers, if we accept there will be a Brexit, what parts of EU principles and institutions would you give up to see a "soft-Brexit". or, do you want to keep it all, not accept any form of Brexit?

This is a difficult question. I have now been forced onto the other side and have to hope the EU fights hard for a good deal for us. Soft Brexit has to come at a high price in my humble opinion.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
l wonder if The NHS will lose it's extra £350m a week it's getting for a few months to pay for that. I do hope not.

The NHS will probably end up with £350m less per week, the rich will take BUPA, the poor will be left with MAYCARE

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A stunning deal, that's a bargain. I guess when you have the economies of scale like the EU working in your favour you can strike good deals like this?

£4B for 65m people = £61 per head

£300m for 450m people - 77p per head

We still have Big Ben though

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The govt have never used the term hard Brexit... mainly because such a thing doesn't exist. There is Brexit or no Brexit. Hard Brexit is a tag invented by of the remoanians so they can whimper at the evil Tories.
I love the remoaner tag it's so disingenuous from a group whose very existence is based on complaining. Anyway hard brexit is a useful tag to describe the more severe options with regard to leaving the EU. The government may not have used the term but elements had been consistently briefing for it. That noise has subsided and there arenow more conciliatory sounds emerging from the brexit dept

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The govt have never used the term hard Brexit... mainly because such a thing doesn't exist. There is Brexit or no Brexit. Hard Brexit is a tag invented by of the remoanians so they can whimper at the evil Tories.

EExactly, the point of no soft and hard Brexit was put to bed on the programme last night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
EExactly, the point of no soft and hard Brexit was put to bed on the programme last night.

How do you describe the different ends of the Brexit spectrum then? Because clearly there are different options with varying levels of integration and cooperation with the EU.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
How do you describe the different ends of the Brexit spectrum then? Because clearly there are different options with varying levels of integration and cooperation with the EU.

We are leaving, we shall get the best deal for the UK, same as your country will be hoping for a good deal. You call it hard or soft brexit if you like, to me it is Brexit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are leaving, we shall get the best deal for the UK, same as your country will be hoping for a good deal. You call it hard or soft brexit if you like, to me it is Brexit.

Yes. But as I said, there are different options within Brexit. A Brexit with, for example, access to the single market and customs union is different to one without. Do you not agree?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Hardly controversial calling people who want to reverse/circumvent the referendum before the will of the majority can be enacted undemocratic and extreme. Entirely accurate and don't forget the Loon bit.

This 'before the will of the people is enacted' clause of yours interests me. How does it work? We don't know for sure how the Brexit talks will go - they could go well, they could (pace Mrs May's 'No deal is better than a bad deal') go badly. Two questions therefore...

1. If they do go badly why do you think that it is acceptable to ask people for their view the day after we cast ourselves loose - but the action of undemocratic extreme loons to ask them the day before, when there would remain at least a theoretical possibility of us not doing so?

2. Do you agree with May that it would be unfair to ask the Scottish people for their views on independence when the shape of the Brexit deal is still unknown?

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
How much has botched deals within the EU cost us over the years ?

Quite a lot I imagine but that is hardly the point. The point is that the UK government is capable of botching up deals with anyone - and as things stand we will have a whole heap of deals to sort out in front of us.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Well as long as you are happy paying into the EU coffers you can call it hard, soft, red/white/blue whatever

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here