Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Then why the sudden fuss against Mrs May Triggering it in the high court,let her get on with it..

Following legal procedure. I'm grateful for the Judge's decision. A kind of statement saying "fine, you want to go ahead with this ridiculous pantomime, you'll damned well do it by the word of the law"

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Following legal procedure. I'm grateful for the Judge's decision. A kind of statement saying "fine, you want to go ahead with this ridiculous pantomime, you'll damned well do it by the word of the law"

What if in December it gets overturned with a final Yes given to May in January?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Pantomine?

medium_2016-11-03-df8aecf0b4.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What if in December it gets overturned with a final Yes given to May in January?

In appeal? It's a possibility. If so, legal procedure has been followed. At least something has been done to temper the ridiculous knee jerk decision that was made by leavers following a wave of misplaced nationalism stoked up by a millionaire, ex city banker, EU member of parliament and recipient of 200,000k annually of British tax payers money for not turning up to the European Parliament to fight our corner.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The evidence has been presented to you and by far greater minds than you or I. Desperately wanting not to believe something does not make it disappear. I think you can probably rest easy that nobody will have the balls to reverse article 50 but whether you deny it or accept it, article 50 can be reversed in certain circumstances. A change of government could turn up such a situation.

you have presented redundant evidence by inferior minds

whose opinion is more important the minds you have put forward or a high court judge.....which one takes priority?

its a very easy question yet you seem reluctant to answer

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
In appeal? It's a possibility. If so, legal procedure has been followed. At least something has been done to temper the ridiculous knee jerk decision that was made by leavers following a wave of misplaced nationalism stoked up by a millionaire, ex city banker, EU member of parliament and recipient of 200,000k annually of British tax payers money for not turning up to the European Parliament to fight our corner.
Knee jerk ?? Is that on your "must use" cliche list ? A lot of people have wanted to leave for a long time, the lead up to the referendum was long enough for the vote to have been anything but "knee jerk"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why do you think london is now the 6th biggest "french " city , ill give you a clue , a lot of the "french" here are from former french colonies.

Mr Farage claimed that being able to deny entry to EU citizens would open the door for more immigration from the rest of the World and in particular, the Commonwealth, you know Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh etc. Not a problem for me, but if you hoped you will be seeing less Muslims migrating here, you are going to be disappointed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In appeal? It's a possibility. If so, legal procedure has been followed. At least something has been done to temper the ridiculous knee jerk decision that was made by leavers following a wave of misplaced nationalism stoked up by millionaire, ex city banker, EU member of parliament and recipient of 200,000k annually of British tax payers money for not turning up to the European Parliament to fight our corner.

Yes,apology for not making it clear-

Love you reply there,but totally disagree on the last bit.....he did turn up and always fought our corner.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you have presented redundant evidence by inferior minds

whose opinion is more important the minds you have put forward or a high court judge.....which one takes priority?

its a very easy question yet you seem reluctant to answer

You keep threatening to reveal this trump card of a superior opinion,go ahead. Astonish us.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Mr Farage claimed that being able to deny entry to EU citizens would open the door for more immigration from the rest of the World and in particular, the Commonwealth, you know Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh etc. Not a problem for me, but if you hoped you will be seeing less Muslims migrating here, you are going to be disappointed.

It's about control,we would not have freedom of movement with the rest of the world would we,immigration will never end,it always has and always will be..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
keep up chap

You've not said though. If you can present us with solid evidence that A50 cannot be reversed I would genuinely be interested to read it as all other opinion/ analysis suggests it is very much reversible.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I respectfully disagree.
Respectfully accepted-
Again we agree to disagree- i said he did turn up,which would mean not always,however he did (always) fight our corner..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The leave vote was to end membership of the single market,so we are able to forge our own trade links, the leave vote was to remove ourselves from The ECJ and have parliament more accountable to lawmaking. The leave vote was to end free movement and regain control of our borders. These were perfectly visible intentions, the remain side actively campaigned against them and said they were wrong. It was obvious what was on the table,remain voters claiming otherwise are lying and are guilty of project bullshit

Funny then that immediately after the result, leading Leave campaigners were quick to announce that it did not necessarily mean an end to free movement of labour, or leaving the single market, or that we would not be adopting any EU legislation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's about control,we would not have freedom of movement with the rest of the world would we,immigration will never end,it always has and always will be..

For you it was about control, others (daft as it may be) truly believed, possibly because Farage had a poster with Syrian refugees lined up on it and the words "breaking point", that we would somehow not be under any obligation to accept refugees, and would adopt a racist immigration policy. Those people will be, I am glad to say, disappointed.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If the vote had gone the other way then we would have had a binary outcome of a slow march to more political and economic integration with very few (or zero) concessions to the millions who would have wanted out.

To paint a rather fuller picture:

In 1992, the UK opted out of Monetary Union along with the Social Chapter
In 1997, the UK opted out of abolition of border controls
In 2009, the UK opted out of the Charter of Fundamental Human Rights
In 2017, the UK opted out of adoption of common police and criminal justice legislation.

Add to the mix all EU legislation must be debated in the house and enshrined in UK law through act of Parliament then it appears there is every likelihood the trend of achieving significant concessions would continue.

Hardly the binary death march you predict and very much in line with the highly lauded democratic accountability.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You keep threatening to reveal this trump card of a superior opinion,go ahead. Astonish us.

im not astonishing anyone, but it is a superior opinion to you.
its common knowledge and open to public viewing......im surprised you are clueless to it, many political commentators have been talking about it.

last week there was a judicial decision about brexit, i notice you have been very vocal in supporting it.
The 32 page judgement investigated what article 50 meant with regard to its judgement and it concluded you cannot withdraw it(article 50) after giving notice and it means inevitable leaving.the EU, the judges based their outcome on this.

here is the relevant part

(1) a notice under Article 50(2) cannot be withdrawn, once it is given

11. Once a notice is given, it will inevitably result in the complete withdrawal of The United Kingdom from membership of the European Union

here is the full judgement

file:///C:/Users/JSC/Desktop/judgment-r-miller-v-secretary-of-state-for-exiting-the-eu-20161103.pdf

feel free of course to say the three judges are talking out of their arse and their judgement is flawed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here