Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I expect utter chaos if parliament fails to deliver on this promise...

Attachments

• 14956429_1074251192673121_2950058451153447243_n.jpg
    14956429_1074251192673121_2950058451153447243_n.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 141

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Surely there is nothing more powerful than the will of the people? The people voted out. Parliament does not need a say, because the people have already said it!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That is nonsense.

They won't 'lose' people in constituencies that voted Remain - the people they are supposed to represent.
They won't 'lose' any of the (many) people who voted Leave without proper consideration of what it actually meant, and will be pleased for a chance to right a wrong.
They won't 'lose' the huge swathe of people who stick rigidly to a party vote WHATEVER happens.
Agree to disagree.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes and that shows Leave won 270 vs 129, despite how their local MPs may or may not have voted. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and many may vote differently if it was re-run, but the fact remains that for Remain to win a vote in parliament over 70 MPs need to vote against their constituents original wishes.

I fear that 70 MPs will not do that, especially as for Tory MPs it would also mean voting against the wishes of their leadership. Let's just hope the principle of doing exactly what constituents want doesn't spread. There would be no point in having a parliament if it did. Just get a clutch of medicine men politicians and the editor of the Daily Mail to run the show. Save a fortune.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It should have been down to MPs in the first place, not the uninformed British public.

Hopefully they will ignore the referendum and we can get on with life.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes and that shows Leave won 270 vs 129, despite how their local MPs may or may not have voted. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and many may vote differently if it was re-run, but the fact remains that for Remain to win a vote in parliament over 70 MPs need to vote against their constituents original wishes.

Those are counting areas not constituencies. There are 650 constituencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Fair enough. But according to remainers, Brexit is a disaster. How is this going to help? It's most probably only going to make things a lot more difficult and potentially add even more vitriol to the atmosphere. Strange way to find enjoyment.

It should at least stop a hard Brexit led by Fox and his ilk.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Almost certainly the MPs will vote in support of Brexit. Any other way and they will lose more than half the population for a generation.

Eh? We vote in politicians to make these decisions. We vote for the politicians we feel we most agree with. 80% of MPs (that were democratically elected by us) voted Remain. This is how parliamentary democracy works.

I don't agree with Trident. My local MP voted for Trident. I didn't then take to the streets, claiming my local MP had "betrayed" me.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I fear that 70 MPs will not do that, especially as for Tory MPs it would also mean voting against the wishes of their leadership. Let's just hope the principle of doing exactly what constituents want doesn't spread. There would be no point in having a parliament if it did. Just get a clutch of medicine men politicians and the editor of the Daily Mail to run the show. Save a fortune.

You miss understand the role of parliament.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Eh? We vote in politicians to make these decisions. We vote for the politicians we feel we most agree with. 80% of MPs (that were democratically elected by us) voted Remain. This is how parliamentary democracy works.

Because its very difficult to get into politics on an anti-EU banner. Major parties will only select you if you are, on the whole, pro-EU, or at least not hostile.

Parliament is so out of touch with the people on this subject. Which is of national importance. It's about independence.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's a fing disgrace. It's OK if our MPS vote against triggering article 50, then expect UKIP to clean up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because its very difficult to get into politics on an anti-EU banner. Major parties will only select you if you are, on the whole, pro-EU, or at least not hostile.

Parliament is so out of touch with the people on this subject. Which is of national importance. It's about independence.

Regardless - that is how the system works. The system that Brexiters wanted to give MORE power to. The irony of this situation is astounding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here