Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Article 50: Theresa May to trigger Brexit process next Wednesday

Our top notch negotiating team is ready for action..

3-brexit.png

.. be afraid EU be very afraid.

:salute:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If we give and take and don't waste time on pushing for everything our way, we will have visa free travel, if negotiations turn sour, May decides "no deal is better than a bad deal" and just bails out, then we could end up in a period of limbo where no visa arrangements have been put in place, I know you disagree and see this as an impossibility as it would be so damaging for all parties, I see that, but view it as improbable rather than impossible.

A Foreign Affairs Select Committee Report sees such a scenario as causing 'mutually assured damage' and concluded that the possibility of no deal is real enough to justify planning for (we haven't though as David Davis admitted last week) - https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmfaff/1077/1077.pdf

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is tragic that we will be leaving an organisation seen as expensive and bureaucratic, to create more expensive and bureaucratic systems for immigration, trading arrangements and involvement of projects with the EU that even the Full Brexit Wankers want to keep.
Nice name calling. The use of capitals adds class too................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah,a shame April Fools day, errr, falls in April
Actually, nobody is denying that. However, as Brexit is to happen (or Article 50 anyway) 'before the end of March' it therefore cannot happen on April 1st. Simple really. But probably will have to be explained to remainers many times.
As in 'Before the end of March' means 'Before the end of March'...........................................................

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Actually, nobody is denying that. However, as Brexit is to happen (or Article 50 anyway) 'before the end of March' it therefore cannot happen on April 1st. Simple really. But probably will have to be explained to remainers many times.
As in 'Before the end of March' means 'Before the end of March'...........................................................

Just saying, a foolish decision, made by a load of fools,would have been more apt to have been implemented on April fools day.

PS. This is only my opinion, other opinions are available, even though they wouldn't be the right ones

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Brexit Secretary David Davis said today the UK was now "on the threshold of the most important negotiation for this country for a generation"

Mr Davis I can only hope that by making this statement you are demonstrating to the world an example of the famous British understatement!

Can anyone think of anything bigger?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Brexit Secretary David Davis said today the UK was now "on the threshold of the most important negotiation for this country for a generation"

Mr Davis I can only hope that by making this statement you are demonstrating to the world an example of the famous British understatement!

Can anyone think of anything bigger?

On the basis that a generation is 25 years, then nothing approaching this has happened since the Maastricht treaty

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There goes £50billion.

lets look at this claimed £50bn bill. firstly, that was a figure pulled from someones arse. secondly a figure would be negotiated to cover expected liabilities to EU to the end of their current budget cycle and future pensions. so this is money we would have paid to the EU anyway in the annual contributions. lets for argument sake stay with the £50bn, this is against an annual cost of £13bn, so just under 4 years contributions. as the budget goes up to 2020, we'll be looking at ~ 9 month short fall on budget (assume exit completes March 2019), so about £10bn plus whatever they believe our EU pension liabilities are. and paying exit payment now for that will be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
On the one hand they are happy for non EU citizens who wish to come and live and work here to go through a process of getting a visa that involves checks surrounding previous criminal convictions, after all that is a sensible and responsible thing to do. Yet they shudder if you want the same and equal checks to be applied to EU citizens when they want to come and live and work here. EU citizens can waltz in, live and work amongst us with no checks on previous criminal history.
It is more than safe to assume those that support this, consider any crime carried out by people with a criminal history whose history is not checked to be a price worth paying in keeping the ideal of free movement alive.
Quite disgusting when you actually think about it isn’t it. But at least you have convinced yourself it’s a price worth paying and you can feel better about yourself.

You miss the nub of our disagreement, perhaps intentionally.

Someone could, I suppose, say that you are hypocritical and contradictory to demand checks on a worker moving to Brighton from Berlin but not on another worker moving here from Barrow. In fact, you are not being hypocritical - you simply believe (unlike one of your fellow-Brexiters it seems) that there should be free movement around all parts of the UK. So do I. Where we differ is that I believe that that freedom should be extended (subject to certain conditions) to people from across the European Union as part of the treaty we share with neighbouring countries.

The difference is not that one of us is being hypocritical but that we have different opinions about where we draw the line.

That, in this case, is where our disagreement is. I understand the opposing point of view. Which I suppose is another difference between us.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nor a lot of people who work in the city, that's why they won't move there.

They will move there for the fact it is one of the most powerful financial hubs in the World. And we are about to become one of the least powerful.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You miss the nub of our disagreement, perhaps intentionally.

Someone could, I suppose, say that you are hypocritical and contradictory to demand checks on a worker moving to Brighton from Berlin but not on another worker moving here from Barrow. In fact, you are not being hypocritical - you simply believe (unlike one of your fellow-Brexiters it seems) that there should be free movement around all parts of the UK. So do I. Where we differ is that I believe that that freedom should be extended (subject to certain conditions) to people from across the European Union as part of the treaty we share with neighbouring countries.

The difference is not that one of us is being hypocritical but that we have different opinions about where we draw the line.

not hypocritical but apparently very misguided about what freedom of movement means. it means there are no conditions upon the European citizen, whether they originate in Barrow, Berlin or Barcelona. its the entire point of the freedom of movement, as "movement subject to certain conditions" is the default for normal immigration concerns. i dont know if this means you are closer to Brexiters than you think.

btw, checks for entitlement to work in the UK are responsibility of the employer in the first instance, not Home Office or other government agencies. same process whether you are from Barrow, Berlin or Bangalore, your employer must check you have the right to work (basically presentation of NI number, passport, and additional visa if that's non-EU). other agencies deal with exceptions, problems etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here