Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So all The EU citizens who paid for and filled out the 85 page residency application plus legal costs will have to apply again for the new 'streamlined' settled status one. The Home Office at it's finest, yet again.

Or maybe those EU citizens should have waited to see what the policy was going to be before filling out those 85 pages and paying legal costs ???

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Or maybe those EU citizens should have waited to see what the policy was going to be before filling out those 85 pages and paying legal costs ???

Maybe The Home Office could have told them that? 100,000+ backlog now.

I wonder if they'll have to carry their new 'settled status' ID cards on them at all times though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This point is now being made by many enthusiastic Brexiteers. It is a misleading over-simplification.

100 per cent of the electorate voted for parties that are opposed to the death penalty. This doesn't mean that 100 per cent of people are opposed to the death penalty. In the referendum I voted for the result that might make it more likely that the practise of live animal exports will continue. This doesn't mean that I am in favour of live animal exports.

Elsewhere, the Labour Party's position on a hard Brexit (for clarity, customs union and single market membership) continues to evolve in the light of what it takes to be the developing view of the country. We do not at this stage know where this evolution will end up. Meanwhile, the Conservatives' position on Hard Brexit has not changed since the election, although there seems to be pressure within the party for it to do so. The Tory's Europhobe wing cannot really criticise these developments, given that their party appears to have abandoned most of their manifesto commitments.

'Continues to evolve'.. what a lovely turn of phrase. You mean attempt to sneak away from their manifesto position which they made up on the hoof to attract UKIP/Labour votes.

:lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This point is now being made by many enthusiastic Brexiteers. It is a misleading over-simplification.

100 per cent of the electorate voted for parties that are opposed to the death penalty. This doesn't mean that 100 per cent of people are opposed to the death penalty. In the referendum I voted for the result that might make it more likely that the practise of live animal exports will continue. This doesn't mean that I am in favour of live animal exports.

Elsewhere, the Labour Party's position on a hard Brexit (for clarity, customs union and single market membership) continues to evolve in the light of what it takes to be the developing view of the country. We do not at this stage know where this evolution will end up. Meanwhile, the Conservatives' position on Hard Brexit has not changed since the election, although there seems to be pressure within the party for it to do so. The Tory's Europhobe wing cannot really criticise these developments, given that their party appears to have abandoned most of their manifesto commitments.

No it isn’t.
Good to see it was mentioned numerous times in the House this afternoon, and confirmed by TM that she has reinforced just this very point to her European counterparts.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
'Continues to evolve'.. what a lovely turn of phrase. You mean attempt to sneak away from their manifesto position which they made up on the hoof to attract UKIP/Labour votes.

:lolol:

Great stuff. Most people who turned out on 23 June voted Leave but the margin was small and even the man in charge of Vote Leave admits that a lie won the victory and if there hadn't been the lie there wouldn't have been the victory. I accept that to leave is the default position and I understand why you want the 23 June vote preserved in aspic but to me it seems reasonable to take heed of changes in the public mood should they happen.

If this offends your principles then I assume you're incandescent on behalf of those poor people who voted Tory because they wanted to hunt foxes and send their children to grammar schools and divert funds away from wealthy pensioners and now find that the government has abandoned all promises within days.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No it isn’t.
Good to see it was mentioned numerous times in the House this afternoon, and confirmed by TM that she has reinforced just this very point to her European counterparts.

I believe it is a misleading over-simplification for the reasons I gave. The fact that it is the latest official Brexit buzzphrase doesn't make it meaningful.

The natural extension of your position is that everyone who voted Labour must be in favour of Trident, given that renewing Trident is the official policy of the Labour Party.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its the Tories that have ****ed this up. Nobody else, but spin it as much as you want, and try and blame everybody else. It would be entertaining but for the cost of it.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Plenty of overtime then for the penpushers

140+ years worth if all EU citizens residing here had followed the 85 page residency route with existing Home Office resources.

It'll be interesting if the 'settled status' is an actual bio-metric ID card, like current residency cards are or just a photocopied piece of paper sent in the post from Sheffield for £50 a pop, like the A8 Worker Registration Scheme was.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
140+ years worth if all EU citizens residing here had followed the 85 page residency route with existing Home Office resources.

It'll be interesting if the 'settled status' is an actual bio-metric ID card, like current residency cards are or just a photocopied piece of paper sent in the post from Sheffield for £50 a pop, like the A8 Worker Registration Scheme was.

Wonder if they would give me a part time role to help

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Great stuff. Most people who turned out on 23 June voted Leave but the margin was small and even the man in charge of Vote Leave admits that a lie won the victory and if there hadn't been the lie there wouldn't have been the victory. I accept that to leave is the default position and I understand why you want the 23 June vote preserved in aspic but to me it seems reasonable to take heed of changes in the public mood should they happen.

If this offends your principles then I assume you're incandescent on behalf of those poor people who voted Tory because they wanted to hunt foxes and send their children to grammar schools and divert funds away from wealthy pensioners and now find that the government has abandoned all promises within days.

Well that's one person's opinion, obviously you agree with it so it must be true. Thanks for finally accepting the inevitable. Of course you believe we should heed changes in the public mood as you think the mood is heading in your direction.

No idea what the last bit's about

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I believe it is a misleading over-simplification for the reasons I gave. The fact that it is the latest official Brexit buzzphrase doesn't make it meaningful.

The natural extension of your position is that everyone who voted Labour must be in favour of Trident, given that renewing Trident is the official policy of the Labour Party.

It’s a factually correct statement to say the % involved did vote for parties that are committed to leaving the European Union. You can read more into that simple fact if you wish.
This stat has definitely got the hard core remainers frothing though. Soubrys face was a picture on one occasion it was mentioned today.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It’s a factually correct statement to say the % involved did vote for parties that are committed to leaving the European Union. You can read more into that simple fact if you wish.

Oh please! You know perfectly well what the implication of that statement was. Don't be so silly.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well that's one person's opinion, obviously you agree with it so it must be true. Thanks for finally accepting the inevitable. Of course you believe we should heed changes in the public mood as you think the mood is heading in your direction.

No idea what the last bit's about

It was hardly just "one person" was it? It was a leader of the campaign you so fervently support, telling us that victory was built on a lie.

Of course you believe that we should ignore changes in the public mood if you think the mood is heading away from your direction. I'd not expect otherwise.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Plenty of overtime then for the penpushers

Anybody who voted Leave thinking it would be a quick and easy programme was way, way off the mark. My son-in-law works for HMRC, and the potential implications of coming out of it all are horrendous, both financial and otherwise.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It was hardly just "one person" was it? It was a leader of the campaign you so fervently support, telling us that victory was built on a lie.

Of course you believe that we should ignore changes in the public mood if you think the mood is heading away from your direction. I'd not expect otherwise.

Yes but according to you the PM, Chancellor, and numerous leading lights on the Leave side telling us a vote to Leave meant exiting the single market doesn't count ..

I didn't say ignore it just amused at your sudden new found interest in the opinion of the Great British public.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great stuff. Most people who turned out on 23 June voted Leave but the margin was small and even the man in charge of Vote Leave admits that a lie won the victory and if there hadn't been the lie there wouldn't have been the victory.

That's bollox I - and many other leavers (including some I know personally) - voted leave knowing full well it was a lie, almost as big a lie as, or at least equal to, Project Fear. Do you seriously think that remainers are the only people who have a built-in lie detector? - very naïve if you do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anybody who voted Leave thinking it would be a quick and easy programme was way, way off the mark. My son-in-law works for HMRC, and the potential implications of coming out of it all are horrendous, both financial and otherwise.

And therefore it's probably safe to assume that leavers who work for HMRC think exactly the opposite.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And therefore it's probably safe to assume that leavers who work for HMRC think exactly the opposite.

I think that Leavers who work for HMRC would realise that every single lorry coming in to the Country and going out of the country will have to be checked at the Channel Port. Staff? Premises and facilities? Avoiding gridlock in Kent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here