Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pound fallen below $1.30 and €1.10 at the same time for the first time ever. Sheesh.

Off to France next week camping, many are trading down this year, fast becoming the poor man of Europe

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Groundbreaking news. Thanks for that

It is the acceptance that our currently is falling to pieces that makes me so scared about this whole thing. Many people don't get what it means in the longer term. Link this to inflation far outstripping wage increases and you can see what happens. Staggered so many don't get it. Imports will cost more and unless we bend over a barrel for the EU the exports which in theory benefit from weak currency won't have anywhere to go. I don't get why people are so chilled out about this and think that talking positively about it will magic something upon us.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It is the acceptance that our currently is falling to pieces that makes me so scared about this whole thing. Many people don't get what it means in the longer term. Link this to inflation far outstripping wage increases and you can see what happens. Staggered so many don't get it. Imports will cost more and unless we bend over a barrel for the EU the exports which in theory benefit from weak currency won't have anywhere to go. I don't get why people are so chilled out about this and think that talking positively about it will magic something upon us.

This has been happening since the banking crash. Most are used to it. Like most things they run in cycles so what goes around comes back. By the way the pound dropped much lower against the dollar 1.16 or lower and now it's back at 1.30 so not as bad as you paint it
P

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Our currency is essentially the nations shareprice, the 20 percent decline says a lot about how investors view the U.K. right now

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Speaks volumes that you treat it so flippantly, it actually is quite a watershed moment in financial circles. But you carry on with your see/hear/speak no evil routine.

The three or four vocal Brexiteers on this thread were saying everything was fine a month ago, Project Fear etc etc. It is very noticeable and it speaks volumes that they're now saying "this is just cyclical".

Even they know this is a disaster.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This has been happening since the banking crash. Most are used to it. Like most things they run in cycles so what goes around comes back. By the way the pound dropped much lower against the dollar 1.16 or lower and now it's back at 1.30 so not as bad as you paint it
P

Although it is the first time it has happened AT THE SAME TIME which is the key point here. Yes the dollar crashed but this is us losing to both the dollar and the euro. This suggests a slightly bigger issue doesn't it? Or was the crash after the vote (which is now apparently ignored) just part of a cycle?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
P

And you stated on another thread you prefer mushrooms to black pudding, really. I'm sorry but you have no credibility whatsoever.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Our currency is essentially the nations shareprice, the 20 percent decline says a lot about how investors view the U.K. right now
A comment like that shows that you have only a perfunctory grasp of currencies and share prices, what they are, who controls them and how they fluctuate. .

A share price is nothing at all like a currency. If it were then the FTSE would also have devalued similarly but it hasn't. Currencies have hundreds of valuations, one for each currency against which it is being measured. A share price is absolute against the currency of its stock exchange. Share prices tend to grow as a company grows. Currency prices do not generally increase in time but fluctuate between points.

You have shown that you do not understand macroeconomics.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And further to the 'a currency is a nation' s share price' nonsense how does low currency valuation = excellent news for exporters then fit into the analogy?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I find it fairly telling that all the toing and froing on here is about economics. I have always felt that there is far, far more to the European question than economics and trade.
There was a very good article in the Observer on Sunday by David Miliband. He called for a second vote, so a lot of people would dismiss it out of hand anyway, but he also sees it as far more than an economic bloc...... which is precisely what plenty of people on here don't want, I guess. In the article he says:

In an attempt to broaden the debate, Miliband made an impassioned plea for the EU to be seen as more than an economic bloc.
“The EU is not just a group of neighbouring countries. It is a coalition of democratic states which pledge to advance human rights, the rule of law and democratic rules. That is not a threat to Britain; it is the team we should be on.”

If anyone can be bothered to read it, the link is here. It just about sums up my position perfectly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lls-second-vote-on-brexit-deal-europe-britain

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find it fairly telling that all the toing and froing on here is about economics. I have always felt that there is far, far more to the European question than economics and trade.
There was a very good article in the Observer on Sunday by David Miliband. He called for a second vote, so a lot of people would dismiss it out of hand anyway, but he also sees it as far more than an economic bloc...... which is precisely what plenty of people on here don't want, I guess. In the article he says:

In an attempt to broaden the debate, Miliband made an impassioned plea for the EU to be seen as more than an economic bloc.
“The EU is not just a group of neighbouring countries. It is a coalition of democratic states which pledge to advance human rights, the rule of law and democratic rules. That is not a threat to Britain; it is the team we should be on.”

If anyone can be bothered to read it, the link is here. It just about sums up my position perfectly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lls-second-vote-on-brexit-deal-europe-britain

It's a hopeful article. I think it's bizarre that Leave voters thought that remainers both in power and the general public would just sit back and let them destroy the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here