Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
DFQQ11qXgAA40XG.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Am I starting to hear the first stirrings of "BREXIT was a brilliant idea, it's just being badly executed" from certain quarters ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Year long preparations by a brand new, understaffed, underfunded Whitehall department, as they all are, to extricate ourselves from the last 43 years - wow.

Davis has compared Brexit to the moon landings. To the best of my knowledge NASA planned for that for about 8 years before The Eagle landed and threw billions at it too.

I wonder how long it'll be before he utters 'Houston, we have a problem.'

Additionally, NASA was one organisation working towards a common goal, we have inept Tory ministers pulling in different directions with different objectives. Amazing how the other 27 countries seem more organised and united than our muppets ? It's all unravelling and will continue to do so. Lord help us !

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So, how long until the whole thing gets scrapped? Here are my thoughts:

Within 3 months: unlikely anyone will give up this early in proceedings but one scenario is May gets ousted or quits, new leader does not want to follow her example and pauses Brexit, eventually it evaporates. Article 50 is pulled.

Within a year: As above but process takes longer.

18 months: too much evidence points to economic and cultural meltdown, communities riot and revolt. Tories halt Brexit, citing negative, unpatriotic remainers as the reason negotiations collapsed.

2 years. We have no deal or a deal so bad we have to pull out of Brexit and remain in the EU.

2 years +. We are out but within 6 months the rising cost of food, lack of quality food, cost of essential services so steep, rising inflation, lower real world wages, poverty and unemployment rising, industry and services pulling out of U.K, insufficient spending on poorer and vulnerable areas, welfare system strained and virtually scrapped, NHS on its knees. Tories are ousted and new government appeals to EU to let us back in, apologising for Tory's gaff.

Jan 30, 2008
https://www.economist.com/news/brit...leavers-want-stay-single-market-and-keep-free

"Some 81% of Remainers and 24% of Leavers want to stay in the single market and keep free movement" that is 'soft'.
must be gut wrenching to see that Hard Brexit coming, don't worry you'll be thinking what was all the fuss about as we say good bye to the EU dictatorship ,they're loosing their biggest pay master and they can put a brave face on it but the reality is its a kick in the teeth for them, I can feel a tear welling up as I type I really can :lolol:
regards
DR

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.cityam.com/268762/confidence-city-high-job-volumes-rise-nearly-fifth-after

"Confidence in the City has bounced back after the snap General Election, with the number of jobs rising 17 per cent in June compared to the same time last year, according to the new Robert Walters City Job Index.

The figures out today found that there were more roles available in the City than this time last year."

Just maybe we aren't all doomed?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
http://www.cityam.com/268762/confidence-city-high-job-volumes-rise-nearly-fifth-after

"Confidence in the City has bounced back after the snap General Election, with the number of jobs rising 17 per cent in June compared to the same time last year, according to the new Robert Walters City Job Index.

The figures out today found that there were more roles available in the City than this time last year."

Just maybe we aren't all doomed?

Already outdated news

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-citigroup-idUSKBN1A51K4

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
So, if I understand correctly:

- Yesterday the government agreed to an extended transition period - a few days ago Hammond was proposing two years, but now he's saying three. And ministers who were completely against a transition period ("Brexit means Brexit") are now apparently happy to go along with three years;

- Today the government seem quite happy to allow Free Movement during this transition period (ie, EU citizens can continue to live and work here for at least a further three years).

I may be wrong, but these look like HUGE u-turns to me. And the only possible explanation is that (at last) the Brexiteers are beginning to understand the massive complexity of extracting us from the EU. The only negative here, of course, is that the EU27 now see us completely on the back foot, and have no reason whatsoever to agree to our request. Our negotiating position (which was weak to start with) is now completely shot to pieces. More and more businesses are recognising this, and putting plans in place to relocate. What a mess. Meanwhile, our Prime Minister disappears on a THREE WEEK walking holiday in the Alps.....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

- Yesterday the government agreed to an extended transition period - a few days ago Hammond was proposing two years, but now he's saying three. And ministers who were completely against a transition period ("Brexit means Brexit") are now apparently happy to go along with three years;

- Today the government seem quite happy to allow Free Movement during this transition period (ie, EU citizens can continue to live and work here for at least a further three years).

I may be wrong, but these look like HUGE u-turns to me. And the only possible explanation is that (at last) the Brexiteers are beginning to understand the massive complexity of extracting us from the EU. The only negative here, of course, is that the EU27 now see us completely on the back foot, and have no reason whatsoever to agree to our request. Our negotiating position (which was weak to start with) is now completely shot to pieces. More and more businesses are recognising this, and putting plans in place to relocate. What a mess. Meanwhile, our Prime Minister disappears on a THREE WEEK walking holiday in the Alps.....

No you don't understand correctly and yes you are wrong.

D

Deleted member 22389

Banks, worse than the devil before the referendum, now Remainers loves them. Banks creating jobs in Frankfurt, so they can still get a piece of the action once we leave, nothing unusual in that. The prediction we got, London's financial sector becoming a ghost town. I don't know if that was before or after the French had sent all the Asylum seekers over.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So remainers complained that the government made a poor offer before, after negociation the government improve the offer but now you complain they have made a u turn ? Are you sure you understand what negociation means ? I guess you'd rather they kept to the hard exit you've moaned about so vocally ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Banks, worse than the devil before the referendum, now Remainers loves them. Banks creating jobs in Frankfurt, so they can still get a piece of the action once we leave, nothing unusual in that. The prediction we got, London's financial sector becoming a ghost town. I don't know if that was before or after the French had sent all the Asylum seekers over.

It was after passporting rights and Euro denominated clearing being lost after we'd left The EU if no deal could be reached on it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here