Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are the grownups the ones who brought us the financial crisis, years of grinding austerity and predicted a recession/ economic armageddon immediately after the vote?
Yep, they're the ones.

If it turns out we bumble along much like before or even do quite well after we officially leave will you concede you were a tad pessimistic?
I doubt it!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yep, they're the ones.

I doubt it!

As crystal ball gazing is apparently still in fashion I wonder what some Remain voters would have told their offspring if the Eurozone crisis bubbled up again causing huge economic problems across Europe in the next few years or wilders and Le Pen win their respective elections giving them a say/veto in our affairs ..?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As crystal ball gazing is apparently still in fashion I wonder what some Remain voters would have told their offspring if the Eurozone crisis bubbled up again causing huge economic problems across Europe in the next few years or wilders and Le Pen win their respective elections giving them a say/veto in our affairs ..?
They'd probably try to blame it on Brexit........................................oh!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think I will have an easier time justifying my vote than you will, to younger generations.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Oh dear maybe I'm peddling FAKE NEWS ! Don't you see the slow collapse of the NHS ? Don't you see the two speed economy ? Don't you wonder how your children or grand-children are going to be able to buy a house of their own ? Do you not see the gig economy ? The trouble is the reality is that modern life in the UK is getting worse... maybe I should do those drugs and go through the Rabbit hole to some amazing fantasy world called Brexit ?

Thsee things were not around pre Brexit then, everything was rosy was it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think I will have an easier time justifying my vote than you will, to younger generations.

Ah yes, we have one of the younger generation on here who stated well before the referendum that he could not afford to get on the property market, my son's are in the same boat, but they did vote unlike some who could not be bothered or thought it would make no difference.
So the situation was the same before Brexit. Hopefully house building and control on immigration will give our youth a chance in the future, so hopefully you can cease using the guilt card.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If it turns out we bumble along much like before or even do quite well after we officially leave will you concede you were a tad pessimistic?

Yes, yes I will. But anyone claiming that everything is dandy right now is just ignoring reality. The early indicators are already pointing to medium term problems, a month or so from now we will see a little more of what may be to come in the medium term. Raw materials have increased by 20%, and although final goods costs leaving the factories have risen 'only' by 3.5% this cannot continue indefinitely whatever the brand managers tell you. Even if it were to it will only be at the expense of jobs and /or wages. I would suggest we only begin to get a true picture of what is to come by around mid 2020, but I will continue to point out early contributory factors and symptoms until then.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So are you blaming the poor weather in Spain which has been well documented down to Brexit. This is hitting most fresh food prices due to shortages which again have been well documented.

Some fresh food prices have been hit by the weather, for example Tesco have been sourcing peppers from Israel and prices are up 30%, yes Brexit unrelated. Not sure who you are debating with on that?

However, prices across the food sector are going up, pack sizes are shrinking and offers are evaporating. And yes and that is because our currency is weak, because of Brexit concerns.

It will hit the poor hardest, but this is a Tory government, so business as usual I guess

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Some fresh food prices have been hit by the weather, for example Tesco have been sourcing peppers from Israel and prices are up 30%, yes Brexit unrelated. Not sure who you are debating with on that?

However, prices across the food sector are going up, pack sizes are shrinking and offers are evaporating. And yes and that is because our currency is weak, because of Brexit concerns.

It will hit the poor hardest, but this is a Tory government, so business as usual I guess

Rising food prices are down to a combination of factors (as are most things). The weather in a growing region is likely to be one factor, the lower value of Sterling is another.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Rising food prices are down to a combination of factors (as are most things). The weather in a growing region is likely to be one factor, the lower value of Sterling is another.
Cost of fuel (oil) for transport.... again nothing to do with Brexit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Pack sizes have been shrinking for years by the way, stop blaming Brexit. Offers are evaporating? Have you personally be round to all the individual supermarkets and counted them up then. It's all bullshit the lot of it.

I see Blair is banging on about a 2nd referendum again, wonder how much he has been paid over the years by this stinking undemocratic organisation that is the EU.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Cost of fuel (oil) for transport.... again nothing to do with Brexit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If one doesn't acknowledge that the impending Brexit has had a significant and direct impact on the cost of imported goods, it really devalues the argument. You can argue the positives that may offset those cost but the fall in sterling, it's relationship to brexit and it's impact on costs is an acknowledged fact.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Situations do change and things like a move to the right that you describe or a future Euro crisis might make some remainers speculate on a different vote had they been given a crystal ball last year. By the same token the Trump victory and the prospect of negotiating bilateral trade agreements in a more protectionist environment might make some leavers take a different view on the question of single market access. I think that all this illustrates is that as we embark on the process of leaving the EU we need to consider how our democratic institutions handle/reflect the changing international landscape and how people's views and priorities change in response to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here