Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why Is anyone surprised?

They all hate us...Eurovision tells you that. We are looking to ditch them and go it alone competing against them for trade...are we expecting them to roll over.

There is 27 against 1 ..we haven't a chance.

Still we can rely on the US for trade..ignoring the trade war with bombardier and boing of course...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why Is anyone surprised?

They all hate us...Eurovision tells you that. We are looking to ditch them and go it alone competing against them for trade...are we expecting them to roll over.

Still we can rely on the US for trade..ignoring the trade war with bombardier and boing of course...

And even Boeing, as well as America First, Make America Great Again, and a one way trade deal which entirely favours the USA

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I just saw Mark Watts of UKTiE (#expert #doommonger #nomark) on Sky News accentuating the very urgent need for the transport element of any deal needing to have it's talks commencing now, as we're seriously running out of time to get an agreement. This despite them needing us more than we need them and Chris Grayling having 50 easy (possibly the easiest in history) other new reciprocal arrangements to put in place to prevent the grounding of flights, including with The US, that obviously wont result in flights being grounded in the event of a no deal as it's just #projectfear and we can just apply WTO tariffs on them etc.

He then made a point though that if we do reach a 'no deal' cliff-edge scenario, the bad blood, chaos and blame game created between both sides could make it impossible to achieve one quickly afterwards. Interesting.

#projectfear #wouldhavehappenedanyway #theyneedusmore #calltheirbluff

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just saw Mark Watts of UKTiE (#expert #doommonger #nomark) on Sky News accentuating the very urgent need for the transport element of any deal needing to have it's talks commencing now, as we're seriously running out of time to get an agreement.

a representative of a trade group says their trade needs urgent, priority attention. #colourmesurprised

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
a of a trade group says their trade needs urgent, priority attention. #colourmesurprised

A representative of a trade group that is sort of the linchpin of the economy and supply chain - transport. Never mind, as I've said he's a #nomark a #expert and I'm sure you know better than him as a #nsctorybrexiteer so #everyhthingwillbeokay as its just #projectfear and #alltheeusfault.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why Is anyone surprised?

EU doing a trade deal with Japan, Trump in the Whitehouse. What a great time to be a free agent? T

here's always bombardier ale, I'm sure the Chinese will take a few cases

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why Is anyone surprised?

For the sake of balance, ALL of the large EU countries usually fare badly in Eurovision - France haven't won for 40 years, Italy flounced off and were gone for 14 years, Spain and Germany are regularly in the bottom 5. In the last 3 years Germany have amassed a grand total of 17 points and finished 25th, 26th and 27th.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
EU doing a trade deal with Japan, Trump in the Whitehouse. What a great time to be a free agent? T

here's always bombardier ale, I'm sure the Chinese will take a few cases

Throw in a few crates of Leadsom's innovative jam & Gove's pigs ears. They can split the container cost three ways. Job done, trade deficit sorted.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A representative of a trade group that is sort of the linchpin of the economy and supply chain - transport. Never mind, as I've said he's a #nomark a #expert and I'm sure you know better than him as a #nsctorybrexiteer so #everyhthingwillbeokay as its just #projectfear and #alltheeusfault.

i'm sure his concerns are valid, but every trade and industry have valid concerns and will paint the picture to get the most attention (in any context, irrelevant of Brexit). why do you for this?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
i'm sure his concerns are valid, but every trade and industry have valid concerns and will paint the picture to get the most attention (in any context, irrelevant of Brexit). why do you for this?

Why? Because I happened to see it live on Sky News at lunchtime when he was interviewed, that's why. Did you you see it or are you commentating on an interview you didn't actually watch?

Transport though - just in time supply chains such as food, other imports and exports, flights, customs - all that jazz and before you say it I know it works both ways, which was what he said as well as well as pointing out the bad blood that will be created through the mess of a no deal. Nothing critical there though #projectfear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do you suggest? Cave in on the artificial sequencing of negotiations, settle and sign off the divorce bill removing it as a bargaining chip for us in the trade talks? #teameu

Artificial sequence of events; why did powerful Britain agree to this?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Give in to a unilaterally imposed sequencing letting the EU have the ultimate say on when we have given enough of a divorce settlement before moving on to the next phase and repeat ...otherwise known as Bend over and grab your ankles.

No wonder 74% want a no deal. Why let ourselves be raped by the EU. Some on here are literally begging for it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Think the government is doing the best job they can talking to this brick wall. Cameron faced the same problem, it's why many people voted Leave. It's not hard to meet people in the middle is it, make the EU work for everyone and address each countries problems, isn't that what being partners is all about?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Think the government is doing the best job they can talking to this brick wall. Cameron faced the same problem, it's why many people voted Leave. It's not hard to meet people in the middle is it, make the EU work for everyone and address each countries problems, isn't that what being partners is all about?

Why would they want to meet in the middle?

why would they want to take a less deal?

I thought we held all the cards?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Think the government is doing the best job they can talking to this brick wall.

It's not hard to meet people in the middle is it, make the EU work for everyone and address each countries problems, isn't that what being partners is all about?

For once, I agree with you. Who, in their right mind would put their government into this no win situation ?

And you may not have noticed, but we're not part of this partnership anymore

Definitely your most sensible post to date but about 2 years too late :rolleyes:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Artificial sequence of events; why did powerful Britain agree to this?

Both sides need to compromise if we are to progress. We did. The UK agreed to talk about the settlement first but will not finalise the deal or sign off on everything before talking about our future relationship. Mr Barnier said withdrawal terms are nothing to do with future arrangements ..

Article 50

A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union.

How we are meant to finalise/agree on border arrangements in NI without knowing what the future trade relationship will be is also rather a bizarre position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here