Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I voted remain but have accepted that the majority voted to leave. I have to ask though, if it had gone the other way would the Brexiters have accepted the vote? Would UKIP have disbanded and said,”Fair enough, the people have voted we will go away now”?

We know that would not have happened so why is anyone surprised that as a Constitutional change has occurred with a slim majority that people protest.

Democracy means you can change your mind when you find out you were not told the truth. This Constitutional change affects all our descendants, meaning my children and grandchildren. That can’t be right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When details of the exit deal are revealed.

If the vote had been Remain, and then it became clear that those who voted Remain had done so due to a campaign entirely based on lies, I would support the staging of a second referendum.
The vote to remain in 1975 was generated by a shocking campaign of lies and deceits. 2016 was the second referendum. We just had to wait nearly forty years to get it!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Moving the goal posts then.

You did vote on a campaign based on lies.Lies like a predicted immediate post-vote recession, huge rise in unemployment, dramatic reduction in growth and consumer confidence .. all predicted by project fear and all proved to be total bo**ox.

We haven't left yet. Pound is low, inflation rising. Give it time. Proved? Dear lord! Who predicted post referendum crisis? I'm sure our massive industry base will save the country when we have left

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

I voted remain but have accepted that the majority voted to leave. I have to ask though, if it had gone the other way would the Brexiters have accepted the vote? Would UKIP have disbanded and said,”Fair enough, the people have voted we will go away now”?

We know that would not have happened so why is anyone surprised that as a Constitutional change has occurred with a slim majority that people protest.

Democracy means you can change your mind when you find out you were not told the truth. This Constitutional change affects all our descendants, meaning my children and grandchildren. That can’t be right.

It doesn't matter if the result was the other way round, Leavers would still be called every name under the sun. Secondly there is absolutely no way Leave campaigners would have been able to take it as far as the complaining Remainers have by trying to stall the process, the establishment would have made sure of it.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
It doesn't matter if the result was the other way round, Leavers would still be called every name under the sun. Secondly there is absolutely no way Leave campaigners would have been able to take it as far as the complaining Remainers have by trying to stall the process, the establishment would have made sure of it.
Absolute nonsense and I suspect you know it. Are you saying UKIP would have given up?

D

Deleted member 22389

Absolute nonsense and I suspect you know it. Are you saying UKIP would have given up?

UKIP wouldn't have given up, but I'm saying the Pro EU media, Government would have made damn sure they got as little air time as possible.

D

Deleted member 22389

So much like the anti EU media and government have done?

I see more scaremongering stories in the papers online than I do of a positive outlook to Brexit. I don't know what you expect the government to do, should they be Pro EU now?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I see more scaremongering stories in the papers online than I do of a positive outlook to Brexit. I don't know what you expect the government to do, should they be Pro EU now?

Because (so far) the negatives are out weiging the positives - it's not a bias - even the express are starting to show more negatives than positives.

Can't ignore higher inflation/weaker pound etc.

D

Deleted member 22389

Because (so far) the negatives are out weiging the positives - it's not a bias - even the express are starting to show more negatives than positives.

Can't ignore higher inflation/weaker pound etc.

I'm afraid a lot of it is unnecessary scaremongering.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One of my definitions of extremism is ignoring the democratically expressed will of the majority before it can be enacted ... you would be fine if a vote remain would be ignored?

Nobody is ignoring it. Jesus wept. You may not be racist but you sure are thick.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Nonsense.

When you are driving towards a cliff edge it is likely that you may change your mind about the direction that you should be going, that perhaps you didn;t really know where you were going in the first place.

The 'will of the people' on June 23rd last year is not the will of the people in perpetuity.

We fight on.
Well done you, most would have given up.

No one should have anything to fear from a 2nd vote once a lot of unknowns become known.

Democracy will win a 2nd vote anyway, so there is no downside really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The vote to remain in 1975 was generated by a shocking campaign of lies and deceits. 2016 was the second referendum. We just had to wait nearly forty years to get it!

One of the great themes of the 1975 referendum was the concept of 'shared sovereignty'. The Daily Telegraph even said that it appeared to be taking over the debate to the exclusion of other topics. I agree that the scope of the EU (as now is) has expanded since then but the notion that there was some sort of con-trick is, I'm afraid, the result of selective memory.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here