Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I have mushrooms AND black pudding please? And a fried egg, 2 Lincolnshire sausages, some crisp smoked back bacon, perhaps a grilled tomato, baked beans and hash browns. I think it's time for breakfast........

Coming up!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It's worrying how the Brexit supporters are already writing a narrative to blame the EU for the collapse of Brexit.

It's predicted in this excellent piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...order-proposals-ireland-brexit-position-paper

And then, lo and behold, comes in this piece:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/16/britain-fighting-save-ireland-eu-imposed-hard-border/

In other words, even the enthusiasts for Brexit now know it's never going to happen so they're changing track to try and make sure they don't get the blame for it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A comment like that shows that you have only a perfunctory grasp of currencies and share prices, what they are, who controls them and how they fluctuate. .

A share price is nothing at all like a currency. If it were then the FTSE would also have devalued similarly but it hasn't. Currencies have hundreds of valuations, one for each currency against which it is being measured. A share price is absolute against the currency of its stock exchange. Share prices tend to grow as a company grows. Currency prices do not generally increase in time but fluctuate between points.

You have shown that you do not understand macroeconomics.

And further to the 'a currency is a nation' s share price' nonsense how does low currency valuation = excellent news for exporters then fit into the analogy?

Quite, exports up 15% ( 2016-2017) in June. Probably best to follow the money when assessing 'how investors view the Uk'. Foreign direct investement £196 Billion last year up from £25 Billion in 2015.

Immediately aftrer the referendum the FTSE 100 was cast Iron proof we were all doomed then it bounced back and went from strength to strength. Then the gloom merchants moved to the FTSE 250 then it bounced back and went from strength to strength. Now they cling to the currency rate like drunks on their last can of special brew.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite, exports up 15% ( 2016-2017) in June. Probably best to follow the money when assessing 'how investors view the Uk'. Foreign direct investement £196 Billion last year up from £25 Billion in 2015.

Immediately aftrer the referendum the FTSE 100 was cast Iron proof we were all doomed then it bounced back and went from strength to strength. Then the gloom merchants moved to the FTSE 250 then it bounced back and went from strength to strength. Now they cling to the currency rate like drunks on their last can of special brew.

So which part of the cycle are we in now? Genuine question.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's a hopeful article. I think it's bizarre that Leave voters thought that remainers both in power and the general public would just sit back and let them destroy the UK.

I expect you are now waiting for the "You lost! Get over it!" comments.

#wateroffaducksback

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Does this mean my Polish plasterer will only take cash in future?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/84...me-Office-Amber-Rudd-migrant-crisis-work-visa

Its all going swimmingly.

Polish plumbers, Hungarian hookers, Bulgarian beggars, Romanian robbers - Brexit isn't it going to change anything for them.

Incidentally, my favourite taxi driver is an Afghan who's here because he got a French passport after working as a Pashto/French translator for the French Foreign Ministry in Kabul. I'm relieved for him and others, particularly all the Syrians once they've got German passports, that they'll still be able to live the dream and come to The UK too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Polish plumbers, Hungarian hookers, Bulgarian beggars, Romanian robbers - Brexit isn't it going to change anything for them.

Incidentally, my favourite taxi driver is an Afghan who's here because he got a French passport after working as a Pashto/French translator for the French Foreign Ministry in Kabul. I'm relieved for him and others, particularly all the Syrians once they've got German passports, that they'll still be able to live the dream and come to The UK too.

Why particularly Syrians, any Syrian irrespective of their own personal circumstance above say Africans, presumably Africans do not warrant your support, although a continent blighted by abject poverty, disease, malnutrition, war, corruption, but even so I cannot recall you or Merkal demanding clemency for Africans to come and ferry you around in their taxi.

Its hardly a new phenomenon either is it, so at what point would you in numerical terms just become a latter day Nigel Farage, 1, 3, 10 million ?

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Why particularly Syrians, any Syrian irrespective of their own personal circumstance above say Africans, presumably Africans do not warrant your support, although a continent blighted by abject poverty, disease, malnutrition, war, corruption, but even so I cannot recall you or Merkal demanding clemency for Africans to come and ferry you around in their taxi.

Its hardly a new phenomenon either is it, so at what point would you in numerical terms just become a latter day Nigel Farage, 1, 3, 10 million ?

I can't recall Merkal offering clemency to Africans either.

I can't speak for her, but personally as I was married to an African and lived there I've nothing against them in the slightest. Despite the problems you list which do exist, it's a wonderful continent and it isn't all bad.

I've no idea on your Nigel Farage point. He was the one standing in front of a poster of migrants entering Slovenia, so you might be better off asking him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I'm relieved for him and others, particularly all the Syrians once they've got German passports, that they'll still be able to live the dream and come to The UK too.

think you've forgot the memo, they are not economic migrants, they are refugees who'll return to their nation once peace has returned.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I can't recall Merkal offering clemency to Africans either.

I can't speak for her, but personally as I was married to an African and lived there I've nothing against them in the slightest. Despite the problems you list which do exist, it's a wonderful continent and it isn't all bad.

I've no idea on your Nigel Farage point. He was the one standing in front of a poster of migrants entering Slovenia, so you might be better off asking him.

Dont duck the question, you seemed to be preening yourself on your stance for Syrians to have unfettered access to the UK and you condescendingly have a favourite Afghan taxi driver.

It really shouldn't be the time for you to remind me how Africa has some wonderful parts with a backdrop of excruciating suffering, so I will ask again why prioritise Syrians and Afghans above say Africans and numerically how many might be permitted to come to the UK to live the dream.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Dont duck the question, you seemed to be preening yourself on your stance for Syrians to have unfettered access to the UK and you condescendingly have a favourite Afghan taxi driver.

It really shouldn't be the time for you to remind me how Africa has some wonderful parts with a backdrop of excruciating suffering, so I will ask again why prioritise Syrians and Afghans above say Africans and numerically how many might be permitted to come to the UK to live the dream.

I wasn't prioritising Syrians and Afghans, I was using them as example. I've probably seen a bit more of African poverty than you and had more AIDS suffering people come up to me asking for me money on the street on a daily basis as well. I've also seen many a time the ways eyes light up in a conversation when the magic 'L' word is mentioned - London. They'd all love to live the dream.

As you well know, numerically the net migration target is the 'tens of thousands' - ie whatever.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A comment like that shows that you have only a perfunctory grasp of currencies and share prices, what they are, who controls them and how they fluctuate. .

A share price is nothing at all like a currency. If it were then the FTSE would also have devalued similarly but it hasn't. Currencies have hundreds of valuations, one for each currency against which it is being measured. A share price is absolute against the currency of its stock exchange. Share prices tend to grow as a company grows. Currency prices do not generally increase in time but fluctuate between points.

You have shown that you do not understand macroeconomics.

When you say FTSE I assume you are referring the FTSE100 which is largely made up with foreign earnings. Much of the appreciation since 24/6/17 has been down to devaluation of GBP which has boosted companies foreign earnings.

Of course if you are fortunate and own foreign property. or shares with foreign earnings Brexit has boosted your net worth in GBP terms, but this is tempered by rising inflation because of the weaker GBP

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's worrying how the Brexit supporters are already writing a narrative to blame the EU for the collapse of Brexit.

It's predicted in this excellent piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...order-proposals-ireland-brexit-position-paper

And then, lo and behold, comes in this piece:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/16/britain-fighting-save-ireland-eu-imposed-hard-border/

In other words, even the enthusiasts for Brexit now know it's never going to happen so they're changing track to try and make sure they don't get the blame for it.

Yes the demonisation of the EU is coming from the right wing rags. The strategy is to whip up nationalism in the face of the EU refusing to agree to fantasy island demands.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When you say FTSE I assume you are referring the FTSE100 which is largely made up with foreign earnings. Much of the appreciation since 24/6/17 has been down to devaluation of GBP which has boosted companies foreign earnings.

Of course if you are fortunate and own foreign property. or shares with foreign earnings Brexit has boosted your net worth in GBP terms, but this is tempered by rising inflation because of the weaker GBP

By stating that share prices are affected by foreign earnings you've clearly but inadvertently shown that your analogy of currency = international share price is, well, rubbish. But do keep digging, it's very amusing.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I wasn't prioritising Syrians and Afghans, I was using them as example. I've probably seen a bit more of African poverty than you and had more AIDS suffering people come up to me asking for me money on the street on a daily basis as well. I've also seen many a time the ways eyes light up in a conversation when the magic 'L' word is mentioned - London. They'd all love to live the dream.

As you well know, numerically the net migration target is the 'tens of thousands' - ie whatever.

Well you clearly were, you stated 'particularly all the Syrians once they've got German passports, that they'll still be able to live the dream and come to The UK too', I am guessing especially with your African experience you also feel African nationals deserve a similar status as your German passported Syrians to come to the UK as well, next Haiti perhaps ?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009

I'm chuffed to bits as well, for these very nice people are more than welcome to milk the health service that i helped pay for dry they are also welcome to do us Brits out of a job as well.
After all lets face it us Brits are a lazy bunch who deserve nothing more than to be left on the shelf to rot,
Come aboard the sinking ship..every single one of you is welcome.:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here