Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Liz Truss an embarrassment on the DP talking about Brexit and preparations for it

I saw a bit of that and I thought the embarrassment was the other woman. She didn't seem to have any understanding of what was going on and had a really irritating grin.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What your seemingly small little mind repeatedly fails to notice is that the argument for many has moved on since the referendum. Many are now debating the governments total and utter inability to deal with the EU. That referendum was 15 months ago with about the same to go before the clock stops ticking. The government has agreed **** all so far. And before you say it's all the EUs fault I'll ask how you expect anyone to believe that when the front bench Tories can't even talk coherently between themselves and given Theresa May's last 3 major speeches the PM appears to be in mental meltdown. Please, listen to her key party conference speech, listen to her radio thing yesterday......you have to remind yourself this is the ****ing British PM speaking!

Whatever anyone thinks of the result the process isn't working. You'd need to be an absolute idiot to think it is. It's time for a cross-party government department to sort this total mess out. The Tories have had long enough. And that cross-party group has to somehow unite the 52 the 48% otherwise the country will be even more divided than it currently is.

The government and the EU have agreed #### all so far…….see the difference?Two sides in the talks.
Saying that, with only a few weeks of actual sit down talks under their belt so far it would be a miracle if things were at an advanced stage already…….i can however see the frustration of the I want everything now brigade who seem to lack any kind of pragmatic patience nowadays.

You must be a little crackers if you think a cross party group of Tories, Labour, Liberal, SNP, DUP, Plaid Cymru, Ulster Unionist, Green and UKIP are going to be any kind of united body on Brexit. It would take them a 100 years to agree the representation of the group.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The government and the EU have agreed #### all so far…….see the difference?Two sides in the talks.

The UK decided to leave. If I'm with someone and they decide to leave the onus isn't on me to chase them and ask them to return....unless I want to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You must be a little crackers if you think a cross party group of Tories, Labour, Liberal, SNP, DUP, Plaid Cymru, Ulster Unionist, Green and UKIP are going to be any kind of united body on Brexit. It would take them a 100 years to agree the representation of the group.

Or maybe I'm just too steeped in grown up German politics where this happens every election to great effect?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I fully agree with you regarding the cross-party Brexit department. However, the membership should consist of brexiters only - to avoid unintentional (or not) sabotage. Unfortunately this would rule out most of the Labour front bench.

That rules out most of Labour and the Majority of Tory MPs.

It will give you a choice of 138 Tory MPs, 10 Labour and 8 DUP from which to build your 'A' Team as you've ruled out the other 479 :facepalm:

Going through the ones who backed Brexit, I'm dying to know who this team is going to consist of ? The Tory party couldn't find an electable leader and front bench that didn't vote Remain and you're going to find a whole team ?

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
That rules out most of Labour and the Majority of Tory MPs.

It will give you a choice of 138 Tory MPs, 10 Labour and 8 DUP from which to build your 'A' Team as you've ruled out the other 479 :facepalm:

Going through the ones who backed Brexit, I'm dying to know who this team is going to consist of ?

Yep, that's exactly the problem we have with the current lot of MPs. Maybe we should invite JC and MaccyD to join the group - even though they were on the remain side we all know they weren't really.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yep, that's exactly the problem we have with the current lot of MPs. Maybe we should invite JC and MaccyD to join the group - even though they were on the remain side we all know they weren't really.

So the problem is that the vast majority of MPs, from all sides, and particularly the senior ones who may have to try to implement Brexit all backed remain because they thought it may be better for Britain to remain. And because we have remainers negotiating, that's why it's going badly ?

Well I certainly didn't see that one coming

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
When you said all these people all already admit they got it wrong about wanting to Leave you were talking more fakenews balls then.
You are consistent I will give you that.

Not sure I said they all had did I? I thought I said people were starting to and how many need to before people accept it. Surely you appreciate virtually all politicians will change direction based on one comment from the chief whip? I am not sure that this would apply to JRM and Peter bone but the majority would flip overnight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I fully agree with you regarding the cross-party Brexit department. However, the membership should consist of brexiters only - to avoid unintentional (or not) sabotage. Unfortunately this would rule out most of the Labour front bench.

Parliament is supposed to represent us all...so no it should consist of just one type of person.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Parliament is supposed to represent us all...so no it should consist of just one type of person.

In a general election we quite rightly vote for our future leaders but the referendum wasn't organised that way. In this case we should have a 'leave coalition' made up of people that want to leave - and it should also include non-MPs from the leave campaign.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In a general election we quite rightly vote for our future leaders but the referendum wasn't organised that way. In this case we should have a 'leave coalition' made up of people that want to leave - and it should also include non-MPs from the leave campaign.

care to explain why?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
care to explain why?

Because the vast majority of MPs who voted leave are a fairly motley collection who would shag their own mothers for the slightest career 'opportunity', so it would make more sense to just randomly choose people with no knowledge or experience to negotiate our future ???

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Because the vast majority of MPs who voted leave are a fairly motley collection who would shag their own mothers for the slightest career 'opportunity', so it would make more sense to just randomly choose people with no knowledge or experience to negotiate our future ???

And you wonder why you're called Remoaners.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The domino effect - Austria, Netherlands, France etc would all be leaving The EU - An old friend of mine in Vienna told me last week the TV news, in a rare foray into actually reporting Brexit as they're not that bothered about it, was just full on comedy in it's reporting of The British Government, May and Brexit. We really are up the creek when we're being laughed at by Austrians.

Live on Sky News on Monday, when Barnier turned up in Brussels, Mark Stone reported there was no other European country's press corp there, just British media.

Still, they need us more than we need them and all that.

Funnily enough,I watched on Spanish tv and the Spanish news team were doing a comparison with Catalonia.Perhaps Sky are trying take news now!😂

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
care to explain why?

Because, as everyone in the country will be affected by this, we need to be represented by leavers from all parts of the political spectrum. This would stop all the bickering and point scoring between the parties over who's approach to Brexit was the best. The remainers would still be remoaners, but at least we wouldn't be getting all this 'Labour would have done better' nonsense. As for non-MPs, it makes sense to have input from all those with an interest. This would include MEPs and academics.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The UK decided to leave. If I'm with someone and they decide to leave the onus isn't on me to chase them and ask them to return....unless I want to.
If your partner decides to leave, you don't demand a large sum of money up front before you'll agree to even begin to discuss who gets the children/the dog/the DVDs/the best cutlery, etc.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If your partner decides to leave, you don't demand a large sum of money up front before you'll agree to even begin to discuss who gets the children/the dog/the DVDs/the best cutlery, etc.

If they leave and leave you with long term financial commitments such as cars on loan, credit card debts and a massive mortgage sorting that comes very early in a chat doesn't it? Granted the relationship analogy is crap as decisions are quicker than two years. I am pretty sure that in a divorce all long term financial commitments need to be sorted out don't they?

This isn't a fine or some other thing, it is funding that was agreed based on us being in the EU. Isn't it just honouring debts?

The right amount can be debated but just refusing to pay won't work will it?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Perhaps if you had some highly incriminating evidence against them that you know they would pay anything to avoid it getting out? What could that be and who would it involve?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here