Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is if you are trying to inject a degree of uncertainty into a construct.........however, if you wanted to be more certain you would use a common old English word like "will" instead. For example, take the two statements below:

There MAY be future terror attacks in Europe which MAY be committed by foreigners to that country. These future attacks MAY be terrifying for those involved and MAY result in fatalities.

There WILL be future terror attacks in Europe which WILL be committed by foreigners to that country. These future attacks WILL be terrifying for those involved and WILL result in fatalities.

This difference encapsulates our respective thinking.........it's why you don't care who enters this country, and why I utterly disagree with that view. Therefore nothing is being dodged because wherever we go on this debate we end up with this common denominator.

It's a key reason why the pro EU mob lost the argument about Brexit.

The question was, how was the attack in Dusseldorf connected to any terror attack elsewhere in Europe?

You MAY well dodge the question again, I WILL not be surprised if you do.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
To counter that argument, the government is cutting various taxes such as corporation tax to try to retain investment in the UK. Meanwhile, our tax receipts are so low, that a lot of parents in Brighton and Hove this week, and probably elsewhere will be getting letters about how critically underfunded their schools are. Hangleton Primary already on a shoestring is £100k down for the next academic year, Benfield Primary £48k. Hove Park in similar proportion cuts.

So great that Toyota invest in the UK, shame we cannot invest in our children's futures at the same time.

We are 'investing' £85.2 billion 'in our children's futures' in 2017, an increase of £1.2bn on last year year.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
To counter that argument, the government is cutting various taxes such as corporation tax to try to retain investment in the UK. Meanwhile, our tax receipts are so low, that a lot of parents in Brighton and Hove this week, and probably elsewhere will be getting letters about how critically underfunded their schools are. Hangleton Primary already on a shoestring is £100k down for the next academic year, Benfield Primary £48k. Hove Park in similar proportion cuts.

So great that Toyota invest in the UK, shame we cannot invest in our children's futures at the same time.

I guess those parents will be happy to know that by exiting the EU this country won't have to hand over billions of pounds of taxpayers money to an unelected institution so they can give it to poorer countries.

Until that happens we should probably rein in foreign aid spending.........job done.

Next question.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thanks Titanic. What exciting news next? "The University of South Cornwall is to spend £15m over the next 5 years on new student accommodation"...??

I am sure the car workers of Derby, and all their supply companies, were delighted and reassured by this massive investment, considering the Project Fear predictions of massive losses in investment and jobs.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The question was, how was the attack in Dusseldorf connected to any terror attack elsewhere in Europe?

You MAY well dodge the question again, I WILL not be surprised if you do.

You need to go back on this thread again because by my reckoning we have done this........was the perpetrator German etc.?

This is not about random bike thefts etc.?

Will this happen again etc.?

Can we stop violent people coming into the country etc?

Common denominator........you don't want to place any controls on migration flows into the UK and I do.......nothing is being dodged, I am just saving us another spin round on the carousel. We disagree......and always will do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I going on holiday or is that what I have to do to see my football team?

Your frenzied postings suggest a nice long restful holiday could be in order?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are 'investing' £85.2 billion 'in our children's futures' in 2017, an increase of £1.2bn on last year year.

That figure is a projection. We won't know if that is £85.2bn until we get the receipts in. The new National Funding Formula is also going to cripple some schools. The National Audit Office has already said that schools in real terms are facing 8% cuts by 2019/20. I work on a Federated School Governing body, the budgets are hurting big time.
2016 £84bn
2015 £85.8bn
2014 £85.3bn
2013 £84.2bn
2012 £86.5bn
2011 £91.5bn
2010 £88.5bn

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Says the man with 35,000 posts............that's the trouble with you Germans, no sense of irony.

Frenzied was a description of the contents, not the volume.

larus

More Brexit fallout.... Toyota decide to invest a further quarter of a billion pounds in their UK operations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

"Japanese carmaker Toyota is to invest almost a quarter of a billion pounds in its UK operations.
Toyota says it will invest £240m to upgrade the Burnaston plant near Derby to enable production of vehicles using its new global manufacturing system.
The carmaker says the investment will improve the plant's competitiveness and promote UK supply chain efficiencies.
Toyota has been making cars in the UK since 1992. The Burnaston plant makes the Auris and the Avensis models."

Oh come on. That must be more fake news. We were told that inward investment would stop, that jobs would be lost, that interest rates would rise and wages would fall.
Oh, and that there would be a £30bln emergency budget and WW3.

Haven't you seen the destitution in the country; how will all these poor people be able to afford to upgrade their smart phones? It's bad, and all caused by those nasty thick, racist Brexit voters :whistle:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Even if we leave The EU with no trade agreement in place, there will be plenty of areas where agreements will be made before that day arrives. Our gov are keen for example to get the issue of rights concerning citizens already in countries on the agenda straight away and get that done and dusted and out the way. Erasmus could be agreed on before our exit so could scientific study, so could a raft of other areas. Both parties will also simply not permit a situation where there are no flights to happen even temporarily. An agreement on air travel will be forthcoming, this agreement will NOT involve NO flights….stop worrying.

I agree that it's highly unlikely that there will be a "no flights" scenario. However, you need to remember how the process will work. Once Art 50 is triggered, the two parties (or rather, the 28 parties) will negotiate the terms of the exit. This will include things like the rights of EU citizens in the UK, and vice-versa, plus all the tedious stuff like pensions for UK MEPs, etc, etc. It is likely that these negotiations will take until the latter part of 2018. Negotiations around a potential transitional arrangement, and the terms of our relationship with the EU post-Brexit can only start once the exit terms are agreed. Hence, it is highly likely that the two year period will elapse with no formal agreement about the post-Brexit relationship. The problem with air transport is that airlines need to plan their schedules a long way in advance (and people actually want to book their holidays in advance, too). So - it is completely plausible that come (say) September/October 2018 airlines will have no idea whether they will be able to fly between the UK and the EU from April 2019 onwards, and you and I will have no idea whether the holiday we book can actually be fulfilled.

The other issue, of course, is the fact that - as soon as Mrs May triggers Article 50 - we are at the mercy of EU negotiators, many of whom are not positively disposed towards the UK. A huge bargaining chip for them is the fact that we are absolutely stuffed if we can't fly to the EU. I just wonder what concessions will have to be granted to ensure we CAN still fly.

And I'm sure there are similar issues in countless other industries. I'm only flagging this as it's something I'm reasonably close to.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
More Brexit fallout.... Toyota decide to invest a further quarter of a billion pounds in their UK operations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

"Japanese carmaker Toyota is to invest almost a quarter of a billion pounds in its UK operations.
Toyota says it will invest £240m to upgrade the Burnaston plant near Derby to enable production of vehicles using its new global manufacturing system.
The carmaker says the investment will improve the plant's competitiveness and promote UK supply chain efficiencies.
Toyota has been making cars in the UK since 1992. The Burnaston plant makes the Auris and the Avensis models."

Come on, leave out the cheery news will you. Big up the doom and gloom.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Come on, leave out the cheery news will you. Big up the doom and gloom.

ok

'Johan van Zyl, chief executive of Toyota Motor Europe, said the investment showed that the company was doing all it could to make Burnaston more competitive.
However, he warned: "Continued tariff-and-barrier free market access between the UK and Europe that is predictable and uncomplicated will be vital for future success.'

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That figure is a projection. We won't know if that is £85.2bn until we get the receipts in. The new National Funding Formula is also going to cripple some schools. The National Audit Office has already said that schools in real terms are facing 8% cuts by 2019/20. I work on a Federated School Governing body, the budgets are hurting big time.
In amongst the badinage, this is the real story and it is why JC has raised it at successive PMQs recently.

The crisis is nationwide but East Sussex is particularly badly affected.

Thatcher sold off the playing fields and now May is trying to outdo her by even more flagrant degradation of what children from ordinary families can expect out of a state education.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
ok

'Johan van Zyl, chief executive of Toyota Motor Europe, said the investment showed that the company was doing all it could to make Burnaston more competitive.
However, he warned: "Continued tariff-and-barrier free market access between the UK and Europe that is predictable and uncomplicated will be vital for future success.'

Don't tell me that yet again a leaver just read the headline and not the content.

At least they are consistent in avoiding commenting on caveats which may well dampen the headline

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Queen has signed the Article 50 Bill into law this morning, clearing the way for Theresa May to formally start talks to leave the European Union.

God bless you, Ma'am.

:D:salute::D

We're on our way ...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Queen has signed the Article 50 Bill into law this morning, clearing the way for Theresa May to formally start talks to leave the European Union.

God bless you, Ma'am.

:D:salute::D

We're on our way ...

Actually the lyrics couldn't be more apt...

How we get there I don't know
How we get there I don't care

Pretty much reflects the current attitude I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here