Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two words.

Cognitive dissonance.

For the benefit of those who voted to leave this is the negative feeling from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe you should think back, the collapse of the Pound against the Dollar and Euro in the first few days of the Brexit result might just have been the catalyst for the whole dirty snowball of economic problems and uncertainties that we now have, don't you think ? It all leads to higher costs which eventually have to be passed on to the customer and that's our problem now.

The nations share price effectively dropped 15% on 24/6/16 and hasn't really recovered. I take this as a barometer of global confidence in the UK, not that of indebted consumers who seem to like to convince themselves nothing has changed

Business is crying out for certainty at the moment on whether to invest in us going forward. We are not Germany, we need inward investment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I will continue to keep you updated (although I only have an FT subscription - others can provide stuff from the Times). Incidentally, if you're only interested in a small number of articles, this is a good place (apart from NSC) to go:

https://behindthepaywallblog.wordpress.com

Posting large blocks of text from sources and articles only supporting one viewpoint doesn't really add much to the debate but whatever floats your boat.

Thanks for the link.

The consequences were not necessarily immediate, you don't just get an instant recession and rising unemployment. There is typically a 12-18 month lag, I thought you'd be better informed as a subscriber to the FT

I specifically referred to the Project Fear claims about the immediate aftermath of the vote (recession, rising unemployment) which proved woefully inaccurate. I suppose it doesn't matter what paper you subscribe to if you can't understand basic points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I specifically referred to the Project Fear claims about the immediate aftermath of the vote (recession, rising unemployment) which proved woefully inaccurate. I suppose it doesn't matter what paper you subscribe to if you can't understand basic points.

I do not recall many, if any, people saying immediately after the vote the economy would tank. This seems to be more you trying to save face.

We had our concerns....and even you seem to be admitting we called it correctly even if we disagree on the exact timings of the decline.

Yoda

English & European

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I do not recall many, if any, people saying immediately after the vote the economy would tank. This seems to be more you trying to save face.

We had our concerns....and even you seem to be admitting we called it correctly even if we disagree on the exact timings of the decline.

Expect you were too busy banging on about the side of a bus to notice all the whoppers coming from your side (HM Treasury and others).

For 'concerns' see predicting Armageddon.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
While the subject seems to have swung to lies told by either side,I feel it is time to once and for all settle one of the biggest porkies told by the runners-up time and again;

remoanlies.jpg

Where does it say anything on there about giving £350m directly to the NHS.Implication does not equal fact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Expect you were too busy banging on about the side of a bus to notice all the whoppers coming from your side (HM Treasury and others).

For 'concerns' see predicting Armageddon.

No. I had my views, and my views seems to be coming right. Brexit and these negotiations will be an utter financial disaster for Britain.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Posting large blocks of text from sources and articles only supporting one viewpoint doesn't really add much to the debate but whatever floats your boat.

Thanks for the link.

Ok then, because It's not immediate it's not down to the chaos of Brexit, What else can we blame it on that is acceptable to you ? Interesting to see that the pledge " To Fund Our NHS instead " never even made it past 3 months before that one hit the buffers.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
While the subject seems to have swung to lies told by either side,I feel it is time to once and for all settle one of the biggest porkies told by the runners-up time and again;

View attachment 86878

Where does it say anything on there about giving £350m directly to the NHS.Implication does not equal fact.

Youre right. A lot of Brexit voters must have been incredibly thick, and stupid to fall for that.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Even you must be able to see through that argument. It's thin enough. It is completely clear what the message was intended to convey. Even Vote Leave's director says it was a lie, a lie he admits won them the referendum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here