Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
By any reasonable analysis - a short/medium term price hike is inevitable in these circumstances. Long term a switch away from tariff free EU fresh produce such as tomatoes, would also logically lead to a cost increase. Either we have to grow more in the UK and the only obstacle today is cost, or we need to air freight more in from further afield, or we have to accept EU tariffs.

we dont have to accept EU tariffs if we have free trade and do not impose tariffs. why isnt this idea accepted? i mean by all means we can talk about the consequencs of free trade but why is there an insistance that somehow leaving the EU will mean a tariff will automatically be imposed on all goods imported from there, when the stated policy is to have no tariffs?

also, invest in London Gateway. its a good point raised about Rotterdam and ports such as Antwerp and the logistics of importation, however this also highlights that a lot of "EU trade" with Holland and Belgium is in fact goods landed there.

D

Deleted member 22389

we dont have to accept EU tariffs if we have free trade and do not impose tariffs. why isnt this idea accepted? i mean by all means we can talk about the consequencs of free trade but why is there an insistance that somehow leaving the EU will mean a tariff will automatically be imposed on all goods imported from there, when the stated policy is to have no tariffs?

also, invest in London Gateway. its a good point raised about Rotterdam and ports such as Antwerp and the logistics of importation, however this also highlights that a lot of "EU trade" with Holland and Belgium is in fact goods landed there.

Some remainers just don't want Brexit to be a success, they cling to negativity written primarily in the Guardian and Indy. Even when things are going well you will find something negative written in these papers with the word Brexit inserted somewhere. Thing is we must get to end point sometime, and stop blaming Brexit for every single little thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some remainers just don't want Brexit to be a success, they cling to negativity written primarily in the Guardian and Indy. Even when things are going well you will find something negative written in these papers with the word Brexit inserted somewhere. Thing is we must get to end point sometime, and stop blaming Brexit for every single little thing.

Care to enlighten us? As far as I can tell the talks are an utter disaster so far. If they weren't then why does May keep having to step in to try and get them back on track? And all the while the government have their eye off the ball with respect to domestic issues and the economy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Because one of the main benefits of being a member of the EU is tariff free trade.

The EU has said that non members will not get the same benefits as members.

It really isn't complicated.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
You are mistaken Sir, only family photos (including pics of the hunting dogs obvs) allowed on the bedside cabinet. The Portraits hang in the East wing .. Mogg, Redwood, Cash and of course pride of place above the 17th Century fireplace.. Mrs T.

if i had that on my cabinert i would have a right arm like Popeyes
regards
DR

D

Deleted member 22389

Because one of the main benefits of being a member of the EU is tariff free trade.

Didn't Canada get a free trade deal with the EU, and they are not subject to free movement. In my eyes that is better deal than we get now. The sticking point is free movement. I'm not saying nobody should come to this country, but we need to be able to control the flow of people, something the EU will not allow you to do.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The only way we will get tariff free access is to continue paying in with some kind of associate membership, this would be a pragmatic compromise but this lot we can't even get past first base.

We're getting close to the tipping point where many business will need to exercise contingency plans, this is when the damage will irreversible

If we avoid recession it will only be because Europe and the wider world is forging ahead

D

Deleted member 22389

The only way we will get tariff free access is to continue paying in with some kind of associate membership, this would be a pragmatic compromise but this lot we can't even get past first base.

We're getting close to the tipping point where many business will need to exercise contingency plans, this is when the damage will irreversible

If we avoid recession it will only be because Europe and the wider world is forging ahead

Canada doesn't have to pay a membership fee or adhere to free movement of people, but they got a free trade deal. You can't apply these rules to Canada and the EU to tell us we couldn't have the same sort of deal.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Canada doesn't have to pay a membership fee or adhere to free movement of people, but they got a free trade deal. You can't apply these rules to Canada and the EU to tell us we couldn't have the same sort of deal.

It took 7 years to negotiate and is still only provisionally in place due to the Walloons throwing their toys out the pram, and is inferior to our current trading arrangements and full single market access. How long do think it will take The British Government to negotiate the same sort of inferior deal that Canada has to the current status quo with The EU? The talks don't seem to be progressing too well at present to me and time is running out.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's really rather pathetic seeing the Brexiteers on here try to remain positive by simply denying the detailed facts presented to them by, frankly, better informed remain posters.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

that doesn't mean we will have import taxes from the EU. or are you suggesting the EU will impose export tariffs on their own trade?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's really rather pathetic seeing the Brexiteers on here try to remain positive by simply denying the detailed facts presented to them by, frankly, better informed remain posters.

Has anyone noticed how the EU 27 are crapping themselves about the prospect of no deal and how much it will effect them? They're not, yes they know they will be effected but I doubt any of them have 45% of their trade with us, bar possibly the Irish Republic

In fact a quick look at the press in Europe and you will find there is little interest in Brexit, they've moved on, no one is rushing for the door, its a British problem

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Has anyone noticed how the EU 27 are crapping themselves about the prospect of no deal and how much it will effect them? They're not, yes they know they will be effected but I doubt any of them have 45% of their trade with us, bar possibly the Irish Republic

In fact a quick look at the press in Europe and you will find there is little interest in Brexit, they've moved on, no one is rushing for the door, its a British problem

Affect. Affected.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
and you missd my point, its not prohibitive, produce already comes in from all over the world.

They don't want to take that on board as it doesn't fit their gloomy agenda. You must accept it costs more even if it doesn't

Seriously, I'm trying to have an adult discussion about this - It doesn't make me a doomsayer or a 'remoaner' because I am concerned about the price of fruit and vegetables.

Given the tomatoes example, today we produce about 20% of our fresh tomatoes, 80% is imported primarily from within the EU. That's due to 2 factors, 1 is geography, 2 being members of a single market. To suggest that we can import all of our required short life span fruit and veg 'by plane' without any impact on price is mental. As [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] pointed out, we have to hope to negotiate a free trade deal with the EU - I think that's rather optimistic but I truly hope it happens. Whether it fits my gloomy agenda or not is an irrelevance.

I didn't vote for Brexit but I hope it works out well for everyone concerned.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Seriously, I'm trying to have an adult discussion about this - It doesn't make me a doomsayer or a 'remoaner' because I am concerned about the price of fruit and vegetables.

i dont see any problem in raising the concern. i'm only pointing out that air freight is an option and not as prohibitive as one may think. example, New Zealand lamb manages to come 11,000 miles, pay import taxes and still land on the shelf at a competitive price. its not ideal (carbon foot print, competition with local farmer etc) but clearly is economic.

its fairly irrelevant anyway as we're highly unlikely to impose import taxes on produce from Spain, so we'll still get our tomatoes and oranges from there (and North Africa, and Israel, apples from South Africa, beans from Kenya... etc). without import tariffs, this is all likely to be cheaper, rather than more expensive which some are claiming, on the false pretense there will be import duties from EU.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
i dont see any problem in raising the concern. i'm only pointing out that air freight is an option and not as prohibitive as one may think. example, New Zealand lamb manages to come 11,000 miles, pay import taxes and still land on the shelf at a competitive price. its not ideal (carbon foot print, competition with local farmer etc) but clearly is economic.

its fairly irrelevant anyway as we're highly unlikely to impose import taxes on produce from Spain, so we'll still get our tomatoes and oranges from there (and North Africa, and Israel, apples from South Africa, beans from Kenya... etc). without import tariffs, this is all likely to be cheaper, rather than more expensive which some are claiming, on the false pretense there will be import duties from EU.

So food will be cheaper overall? Is that what you are saying?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So food will be cheaper overall? Is that what you are saying?

Meanwhile inflation up again to the highest in 5 years

Those Satsumas are getting more expensive being we even talk about tariffs and the pound taking another slump

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here