Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would no one suspect that?

Of course we do.

:smile:
.........and that smugness is probably why remain lost back in the summer, eh? There's nothing like under-estimating your opponents, as fervent supporters of a united Europe have previously discovered, in 1815 and 1945, for instance.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
UKIP wouldn't have given up, but I'm saying the Pro EU media, Government would have made damn sure they got as little air time as possible.

In a world populated by the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph, and on the day after the fearful BBC reacted to funding threats from the Brexit-throttled Tory establishment by virtually ignoring the (peaceful) pro-EU demonstration, that is a bit rich.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
.........and that smugness is probably why remain lost back in the summer, eh? There's nothing like under-estimating your opponents, as fervent supporters of a united Europe have previously discovered, in 1815 and 1945, for instance.

It's not smugness. It's contempt.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One of the great themes of the 1975 referendum was the concept of 'shared sovereignty'. The Daily Telegraph even said that it appeared to be taking over the debate to the exclusion of other topics. I agree that the scope of the EU (as now is) has expanded since then but the notion that there was some sort of con-trick is, I'm afraid, the result of selective memory.
The theme of the Yes campaign in 1975 was "You're not the sort of person who wants to be associated with the pinko-lefty reds-under-the-bed Russia-loving Commy views of Anthony Wedgwood-Benn, are you? Vote yes, then." And it worked.
I was there, and my memory is not selective.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In a world populated by the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph, and on the day after the fearful BBC reacted to funding threats from the Brexit-throttled Tory establishment by virtually ignoring the (peaceful) pro-EU demonstration, that is a bit rich.

Not just a bit rich, absolutely, insanely, monumentally ignorant.

Yesterday's march was huge. Enormous crowds. On the news, when I got home, it was given 27 seconds, and was, about, item number 7 on the programme.

Meanwhile Ukip losing the one MP they had was given 9 minutes.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

...and congratulations for dragging the Second World War back into it. A Leaver hasn't done that for at least a couple of days now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I see more scaremongering stories in the papers online than I do of a positive outlook to Brexit. I don't know what you expect the government to do, should they be Pro EU now?

I haven't seen scaremongering stories, I have seen reports from all sides of Union leaders, MP's, Lords and others stating their considered opinion, and asking the Government to prioritise certain things in the negotiations. The reason being, they all understand that leaving with no deal at all would be disastrous, if you find that scary, you perhaps should have voted remain.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The theme of the Yes campaign in 1975 was "You're not the sort of person who wants to be associated with the pinko-lefty reds-under-the-bed Russia-loving Commy views of Anthony Wedgwood-Benn, are you? Vote yes, then." And it worked.
I was there, and my memory is not selective.

So was I and nor is mine. Your characterisation of the campaign is batty to be honest. Presumably you're including Enoch Powell among your pinko-lefties.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

And that's where all their issues lie. So cocksure a win was on the cards. The snowflakes cannot handle a defeat so have happy clappy marches in protest. Won't be long before the black balaclava wearing loonies hiding their faces are out in there support smashing London up.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Protesting after being asked to cancel by the security services as it would overstretch them. Yeah nice people, no respect.

Where is your 'evidence' that security services asked us to cancel?

They did not. Great efforts have been made to confirm that life should go on as normal. That includes allowing people to march for what they believe in.

Huge respect was paid to those who died and were injured. An immaculate minute's silence, and repeated tributes in many of the speeches. Huge amounts of flowers brought along, and placed at the scene.

We marched because we believe that we need to do what is best for our country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And that's where all their issues lie. So cocksure a win was on the cards. The snowflakes cannot handle a defeat so have happy clappy marches in protest. Won't be long before the black balaclava wearing loonies hiding their faces are out in there support smashing London up.

I was surprised, I thought Britain was smarter on the whole.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you think the march showed a distinct lack of respect so soon after the attack.

Id say the opposite. As numerous people have said about numerous other events which are going ahead as planned....it shows you can't stop us.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Lets face it. Leavers would be fecking hysterical if another vote was announced. I do not know why, as surely the vote would be the same eh? haha

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The trouble with smugness is that the person exhibiting it doesn't realise it. Still, that's your problem, not mine.

Smugness is having and showing excessive pride in your achievements.

I don't think your 'remoaners' (a truly hackneyed, pathetic, stupid phrase) are proud of what was 'achieved' on 23-6-16.

But yes, I feel contempt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here