Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I voted to stay but now the way the European Bureaucrats are treating this country I am changing my mind.
They seem to want punish us to stop anyone else leaving yet they want us to defend them.
They will soon have more problems with Spain.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I voted to stay but now the way the European Bureaucrats are treating this country I am changing my mind.
They seem to want punish us to stop anyone else leaving yet they want us to defend them.

I know people that voted to remain and now want out for the same reason.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Brighton should vote to leave the UK, a bit like Catalonia just a bit better, and then it will be free, free to join the EU

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You wouldn't guess by the loudmouth minority on here though.

I guess it's a bit like politics on the BBC, one side thinks it's biased against them, the other think the opposite and the real answer is somewhere in the middle. Just going from the Brexit thread, the top 10 posters are split evenly between Remainers and Brexiteers.

Capture1.jpg

Arthur and others have hit the nail on the head though. It makes as little difference to me as a Brighton fan as whether people prefer tea to coffee.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Great to see the EU tackle the alleged gig economy tax avoiders, Amazon €250m and Apple a staggering €13bn. Fantastic news for those citizens. In the meantime a plane manufacturer with a plant in Northern Ireland gets a 219% trade levy by the USA. :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Great to see the EU tackle the alleged gig economy tax avoiders, Amazon €250m and Apple a staggering €13bn. Fantastic news for those citizens. In the meantime a plane manufacturer with a plant in Northern Ireland gets a 219% trade levy by the USA. :shrug:

So convenient for those with magic money trees in offshore forests, particularly those with friends in The Conservative and Unionist Party, that The UK is leaving as all this is implemented - https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custo...dance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This must be the fourth time that poll has appeared on NSC, at least two times on the Brexit thread (so not surprising most people missed it). Stoke and Burnley both voted leave by big margins but the poll shows their supporters doing the opposite and backing Remain. Also a majority of people in Sussex voted leave so that 19% Of BHA supporters figure is bollox ... the poll is either woefully inaccurate or funded by the EU!

:flounce:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It is interesting that those who lead the charge to leave are the ones with old money and connections, harking back to the days they will rule the country with little oversight

Indeed. So convenient also that directive was launched exactly at the same time as UKIP's high-water mark in the polls and The 2014 European Election result etc and Cameron changed his mind over holding a referendum, despite being told he didn't need to and couldn't win it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Of course the wealthy elites, Tory establishment, big businesses and multinationals were terrified of the tax avoidance measures being introduced by the EU that's why so many of them backed Leave ... oh wait a minute. :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Don't be silly. How can they punish you if walking away is an option? How can they punish you if they need you more than you need them? You can have your cake and it!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Of course the wealthy elites, Tory establishment, big businesses and multinationals were terrified of the tax avoidance measures being introduced by the EU that's why so many of them backed Leave ... oh wait a minute. :lolol:

I specifically meant the Conservative Euro sceptic odd-balls and their friends with inherited wealth, murky offshore and vested personal interests etc, rather than the legitimate big business mainstream. Jacob-Rees Mogg being a prime example of this sort of creature and their strange, ideological, oddball pursuit of their hard Brexit dream at any cost, no matter what it is to anyone else. I appreciate this doesn't apply to all of them either - I just always assumed John Redwood took his Euro sceptic path simply because he couldn't get on with more normal people in The Conservative and Unionist party for example.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I specifically meant the Conservative Euro sceptic odd-balls and their friends with inherited wealth, murky offshore and vested personal interests etc, rather than the legitimate big business mainstream. Jacob-Rees Mogg being a prime example of this sort of creature and their strange, ideological, oddball pursuit of their hard Brexit dream at any cost, no matter what it is to anyone else. I appreciate this doesn't apply to all of them either - I just always assumed John Redwood took his Euro sceptic path simply because he couldn't get on with more normal people in The Conservative and Unionist party for example.

Mogg doesn't mind being poorer, he can afford it. When you're rich anyone can be idealogical

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

As conspiracy theories go it's pretty thin. The Moggster has been motivated by a lifelong love of UK parliamentary sovereignty and opposition to anything that threatens this I doubt the latest EU tax proposal makes a blind bit of difference to him. If you know different or can name any of his friends that have offshore accounts that would be impacted by the EU proposals and have contributed to the Leave campaign then I'm prepared to change my view. The biggest single contributer to the referendum campaign was Lord Sainsbury ( for Remain).

On the wider issue of tax avoidance, I was interested to hear from the Head of the IFS on the Daily Politics recently that the Government have introduced over a hundred different measures/regulations on closing loop holes/ tax avoidance recouping £10 Billion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here