Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The only trouble here is defining what 'extortionate' means. One poster in this conversation has mentioned '100bn'. Leading EU countries are speaking of far lower figures - down to 15bn euros. There have been suggestions that negotiations might kick-off at around 55bn. "Extortionate' in this context means nothing - it is just a word. Similar opacity concerns the term 'meeting our obligations'. In fact, it is not opaque - it is completely meaningless given that the negotiations will not be about whether we will meet our obligations, but about what those obligations are. You would never expect the UK to ever say 'we will not meet our obligations' and as far as I am aware it never has. The two sides will of course disagree about what those obligations are.

(You could say the same about words such as 'liabilities' - although it is interesting that one Leaver here suggests only that we should meet 'some' of them.)

Boris is a clever man. He knows what he is doing. He was playing to the tabloid and party membership gallery with his Go Whistle comment. It wasn't designed to assist the negotiations (to the contrary), it was designed to serve his own position. A pity in the circumstances, and depressing that some choose not to see through it.

Chart%20pic_j8h7T2g.PNG

I expect Boris (and most people) would view anything near the higher end as extorniate.

'Obligations' is not a meaningless term but yes they are yet to be finalised. "We have said we will meet our international obligations, but there will be our international obligations including assets and liabilities and there will be the ones that are correct in law".

Boris was being Boris I wouldn't get too po faced about it or read too much into it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If we were forced in to paying a 100 billion exit free would you still want to leave? What is your 'dream' deal?

Serious question.

Its rather a silly question as 100bn wont happen, it was ridiculous enough when Juncker proposed 60bn but even more laughable when the FT reported ,due to their inside knowledge, that the bill would be around 100bn.
Its rather like me asking you if you would be willing to pay 100bn a year to be in the EU, that wont happen either so a bit of a pointless question.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
None of them. I have the strong suspicion that a brave keyboard warrior like yourself wouldn't insult people face-to-face, so why do it on here?

If its deserved, I have no qualms about speaking my mind toward others in public.
You should try it, its very therapeutic. A few home truths are hard to handle for some people though.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A Jeremy Hunt sponsored health care comparison of selected wealthy countries which is skewed as the UKs poor health outcones are not weighted to correctly lower the NHS performance.

Well,it was something to do with healthcare,although I think your Google translate doesn't handle Sanskrit very well!

wib2.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wonder why so many of them work in Costa,or ask 'do you want fries with that'?Perhaps you could point out some of their recent successful predictions,as I can't find any.They seem to have been selling the world a load of bullcrap for years about how clever they are,and child-like or not,I just can't see it.If they are as clever as you seem to think,how come they're not all sunning themselves in Bermuda?

I imagine that it's only news when economists get things wrong. Plenty of things they get right. For example, they predicted that Brexit would result in economic woe and relative decline and that's now coming true. You may say that they failed to predict that half the country would go on a short term debt-piling exercise in an attempt to shop themselves into happiness, but predicting that required the skills of a psychiatrist as much as those of an economist.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why bother with insults anyway?

When you say insults. do you mean your own insults as well when you say that most people arguing against the EU are doing it under a cover that they really have a deep distrust of foreigners or do you mean other people that refer to leave campaigners as thickos and little Englanders .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good so see The Mogg acknowledging "soft" brexit is an invented lie

Ha! You know Brexiteers are desperate when they start using that elitist sideshow as a reliable reference. The man is literally a character, an affected snob who is more interested in making out of touch right wingers snigger at his faux bewildered ignorance of the price of a pint of milk than he is what happens to the people of the UK.
Besides which he is only giving his opinion and expressing his hopes for what Brexit will be. How do we know this? Because that is all anyone can do. Why? Because nobody, not one single person knows what will happen.
On a base level I never trust a man who cannot stop looking at the floor when he is talking. He does it when he's addressing people in person too. Not a trait that fosters trust.
Great fun On HIGNFY but not a man to take notice of.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When you say insults. do you mean your own insults as well when you say that most people arguing against the EU are doing it under a cover that they really have a deep distrust of foreigners or do you mean other people that refer to leave campaigners as thickos and little Englanders .
I'm pretty sure he means the insults you dole out regularly when you get yourself all het up. The idea that you, of all people could back any of your insults up in the real world is frankly laughable. You're the joke of NSC.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Haven't been on this thread for a while so apologies if fixtures. Interesting that the EU say we haven't gone far enough on the treatment of EU citizens in the U.K. Surely there is no negotiation necessary as we state how we will be treating EU residents here and if the EU are happy to match that then we move on. If the EU want to offer more to U.K citizens abroad then that's up to them. I'm not sure why we would have to agree to match the EU as isn't the whole point of leaving that we make our own rules not have to negotiate or agree to what the EU want?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
As long as it makes you happy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's deflection all this talk that there's no such thing as "hard or soft" brexit. The terms exist. We all know roughly what each one means. Neither is good for the UK. Hard means we are truly on our own, not a good place to be. Soft means we are still effectively EU members with none of the powers or voting rights.
I predict a comprehensively mushy Brexit or May actually going for no deal, walks away without paying money back, steps down and leaves the whole sorry mess to Boris who takes us into the darkest period in U.K. history since WW2.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's deflection all this talk that there's no such thing as "hard or soft" brexit. The terms exist. We all know roughly what each one means. Neither is good for the UK. Hard means we are truly on our own, not a good place to be. Soft means we are still effectively EU members with none of the powers or voting rights.
I predict a comprehensively mushy Brexit or May actually going for no deal, walks away without paying money back, steps down and leaves the whole sorry mess to Boris who takes us into the darkest period in U.K. history since WW2.

Were not going back to ration books are we ??

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Haven't been on this thread for a while so apologies if fixtures. Interesting that the EU say we haven't gone far enough on the treatment of EU citizens in the U.K. Surely there is no negotiation necessary as we state how we will be treating EU residents here and if the EU are happy to match that then we move on. If the EU want to offer more to U.K citizens abroad then that's up to them. I'm not sure why we would have to agree to match the EU as isn't the whole point of leaving that we make our own rules not have to negotiate or agree to what the EU want?

I think it may take them a while to realise the power dynamic has changed. They no longer have a say in how we are governed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Happy for the EU to spend my tax in poorer regions of Europe. Better than May deciding where it goes. She'd probably spend it leading a cavalry charge into a volcano. Daft bint.

Well,I for one,hope you will continue to have your tax spent in poorer regions of Europe after Brexit! :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here