Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see we're now caving in on the exit bill, too. Just a few days ago Boris told the EU to "go whistle" (nice one Boris!), but yesterday the Govt officially admitted it will have to meet its liabilities both before and after we leave.

Utter nonsense (you read in the Times?). The government have been saying for months we will honour our financial obligations. But we will not be paying a huge 'extorionate' leaving bill .. which is what Boris was referring to.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I see we're now caving in on the exit bill, too. Just a few days ago Boris told the EU to "go whistle" (nice one Boris!), but yesterday the Govt officially admitted it will have to meet its liabilities both before and after we leave.

Im starting to think none of you watch the news or simply take two words and extrapolate it into your own little echo chamber.
Go whistle was aimed at the "extortionate " figures the EU have been floating about..... (see his full quote and answer to the original MP who said "go whistle" for verification)
The gov always said it was willing to pay some liabilities if they are fair.......100bn is not fair......its ridiculous.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
uk.JPG

Nice one Diane, at least you got some twitter followers

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We should start a fact-checking service for [MENTION=990]Jim in the West[/MENTION] (and a few others). :D

Im starting to think Jim is a leaver and is just trolling to make remainers look silly.......some of the stuff he comes out with is so far out of left field its mind boggling.
He is certainly a different ball game, bit of a bensgrandad of brexit........

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I dont do twitter,
Do you have to be one of her followers to vote on her tweet poll or can any tom dick and harry be directed to the poll and vote on it if they have a twiiter account?

You need an account, it was only 24 hour poll. I don't think this reflects the view of the nation to be fair, there's a lot more than that with their heads in the sand

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You need an account, it was only 24 hour poll. I don't think this reflects the view of the nation to be fair, there's a lot more than that with their heads in the sand

Given then its a hijacked poll, 73% with their head in the sand sounds about right

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Of course we are going to pay it. It's a ready made excuse for the government as to where the £350m a week went and why the "money we save" by leaving the EU is not being used to cover the shortfall of retracted EU funding in some of our poorest regions. Tory scum.

I see the EU might ask Cornwall for it's funding back.They have re-calculated their sums and found out they've been getting funding they are not qualified for.Perhaps the EU might give it back to us taxpayers then (where it came from in the first place!).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The dream is to leave The EU. We are leaving. I know it, you recognise it.
So what dreams are starting to fall apart?

If we were forced in to paying a 100 billion exit free would you still want to leave? What is your 'dream' deal?

Serious question.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Utter nonsense (you read in the Times?). The government have been saying for months we will honour our financial obligations. But we will not be paying a huge 'extorionate' leaving bill .. which is what Boris was referring to.

The thing with Brexit is we tend to only read and talk to those who share same or similar views it's a form of self validation so reading the Times will have one view while the Guardian is likley to have the opposite, listening to the Government official ish line v the oppositions official ish line, none of these sources is showing the whole picture but a tilted view based on their own and their target audience we in turn read or listers to this as its saying roughly what we want to hear self validation

My view is I am unsure if joining the Common Market was the correct move at the time and if I had been able to vote then may well have voted not to join but we did and I went on to witness problems and benefits from membership of the Common Market and on reflection I think we benifited from membership.

The Common Market over the years evolved into the EU, Monetary Union and then Expansion all these events passed via treaty's with no specific referendums.

At the time I agreed with Common Market becoming the EU and for the massive expansion particularly after the fall of the Soviet block when it was essential to gather the newly freed countries into the democratic fold Inhind sight this was completed to hastily.

I was less warm regarding Monetary Union but having survived near total collapse and if the Euro banks can improve their resilience and some countries still have work to do on this then I now think the Euro has a future.

So we had a referendum we voted narrowly to leave I voted remain and on balance I think my view is still correct but we are coming out and need to make the most of it.

I hope the negotiations can evolve from bickering into substantive talks with a view to achieving a win win,

In my view we need tarif free access to the EU markets as the EU does to ours.
We need the position sorted regarding the 2.5 EU nationals livening the UK and the 2 UK nationals living in other parts of the EU.
To achieve this it needs the free movement of people and goods.
However we must have control of our boarders allowing those that do come to travel freely but not remain unless they have work to come to and pay taxes.
To achieve this we need To record and then monitor all those that come to ensure they leave at the appropriate time each visitor will need a visa for holiday, buissness or work with time limits all those coming for work will need a sponcership and would be issued with an National Insurance number.

My preference would have been that we voted remain but we did not so we have to try and achieve the best outcome without loosing all the benefits

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Im starting to think Jim is a leaver and is just trolling to make remainers look silly.......some of the stuff he comes out with is so far out of left field its mind boggling.
He is certainly a different ball game, bit of a bensgrandad of brexit........

Just like you do for the leave side then by hurling insults at people in true brave keyboard warrior fashion. :thumbsup:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
To achieve this it needs the free movement of people and goods.
However we must have control of our boarders allowing those that do come to travel freely but not remain unless they have work to come to and pay taxes.
To achieve this we need To record and then monitor all those that come to ensure they leave at the appropriate time each visitor will need a visa for holiday, buissness or work with time limits all those coming for work will need a sponcership and would be issued with an National Insurance number.

My preference would have been that we voted remain but we did not so we have to try and achieve the best outcome without loosing all the benefits

Im fairly certain your wish of visa controls on everyone including holiday makers and business men does not fit into your belief that this constitutes free movement of people.
Its sort of the opposite

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The only trouble here is defining what 'extortionate' means. One poster in this conversation has mentioned '100bn'. Leading EU countries are speaking of far lower figures - down to 15bn euros. There have been suggestions that negotiations might kick-off at around 55bn. "Extortionate' in this context means nothing - it is just a word. Similar opacity concerns the term 'meeting our obligations'. In fact, it is not opaque - it is completely meaningless given that the negotiations will not be about whether we will meet our obligations, but about what those obligations are. You would never expect the UK to ever say 'we will not meet our obligations' and as far as I am aware it never has. The two sides will of course disagree about what those obligations are.

(You could say the same about words such as 'liabilities' - although it is interesting that one Leaver here suggests only that we should meet 'some' of them.)

Boris is a clever man. He knows what he is doing. He was playing to the tabloid and party membership gallery with his Go Whistle comment. It wasn't designed to assist the negotiations (to the contrary), it was designed to serve his own position. A pity in the circumstances, and depressing that some choose not to see through it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here